“Charming small country house hotel”
Review of Ballyvolane House

and 1 more site!
Ballyvolane House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fermoy
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We visited Ballyvolane in mid-May 2012 as guests at a wedding.
We - and all the wedding party - were delighted with the house, the grounds, the exceptionally good food and charming and efficient service. We'd strongly recommend Ballyvolane for a wedding or simply as a place to stay. There is a lot to see nearby, not least Lismore Castle and gardens.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Highgate43

Dear Highgate43,

Thank you very much for staying and reviewing. We enjoyed having you all here and I am delighted you all enjoyed the wedding. Lismore Castle Gardens is pretty special and is a 'must-see' during a stay here.

Thanks again for your kind comments and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

No they didn't pay me to write this review! just read it

Our son married his beautiful Irish bride here near Ballyvolane and our large group of family and friends stayed both in the house, in Lismore and the surrounding area. Justin and Jenny arranged every detail of the reception from the eve of the wedding through the wedding day and evening party through to the hog roast the day after. We were all so very impressed by the standard of everything they did, the food was fabulous,the accommodation excellent and all their staff superb, the grounds and garden stunning. They were all extremely attentive and wanted to make sure every detail was perfect and it was.

Alison and Edward

Room Tip: You don't need one all are superb
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Edward S

Dear Alison & Edward,

Thank you very much for your review and for staying. I am delighted everyone had such a great time and we were delighted to have hosted the wedding here. The weather even behaved as well. I will share your kind comments with all the team here.

Thanks again and please keep in touch.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Spent a glorious evening in Ballyvolane House. Beautiful setting, gracious welcome and stunning sunshine.
Best part though was having dinner in their restaurant in Lismore, O'Brien's Chop House. Another great welcome followed by brilliant Pig's Tails and excellent TBone for two.
Simple setting with local produce allowed to shine through. Can't get better than that!
Definitely worth at trip to both the house an the restaurant. (We didn't have dinner in the house but those who did said it was excellent.)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Reasted

Dear Reasted,

Thank you so much for staying and reviewing. Glad you enjoyed you stay as well as the grub at O'Brien Chop House. I will shared you kind comments with all the team here and at the Chop House.

Thanks again for your support and I hope you will come and see us again soon.

Reviewed March 22, 2012

We had the most wonderful stay at Ballyvolane House last week. It was our kids' first trip to Europe (5 and 7 year old boys), and we wanted to take them somewhere special that would also be welcoming for kids. We couldn't have asked for anything more at Ballyvolane house. We arrived jet-lagged and bedraggled on a Saturday night after a looooong trip from Houston. The boys ate dinner with Justin and Jenny's fantastic kids, then we took them up to our beautiful room to find wrapped gifts on the bed (children's books, just the thing!) and chocolate cookies on the bedside table. We got the kids to bed and then went right downstairs ourselves for an incredible meal with the other guests at the house. As a parent, I can't express enough how lovely it was to stay in a place where such a thing was possible.

Of course the rooms and grounds are stunningly gorgeous. Everything was just on the point of blooming when we were there, in a month I can't even imagine how spectacular it will be. We were dreaming of our boys getting married there one day. We had so much fun stomping around the property (in borrowed Wellies) with the family dogs, whom my boys threatened to kidnap they loved so much. Our room was beyond comfortable with a huge soft bed and many pillows and two small beds for the boys. It was certainly easy to get over the jet lag there! Every day we started with a big, yummy breakfast cooked to order and plenty of tea and soda bread. Justin and Jenny helped us plan our itinerary each day and printed maps and directions. We went to Kinsale and Cashel and Lismore. Our last night, Justin took the kids on a tractor ride around the property. Then my husband and I had an extravagant romantic dinner just the two of us in the drawing room that we felt to be one of the best nights of our lives.

We were very sad indeed to leave Ballyvolane House after three nights. As soon as we can get ourselves back to Ireland, we'll be there! Thank you for everything!! - Casey and Ryan

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Penthesileia

Dear Casey & Ryan,

Thank you so much for staying and reviewing. We loved having you all here and I am delighted you all had such a great time.

I hope you will come and see us again on your next visit to Ireland.

Reviewed February 16, 2012

Justin and Jenny, Many thanks for making our first visit to Ballyvolane so memorable last week. We had a great time and wish we could have stayed a few more days. The food was truly superb and great that so much of it is locally sourced or grown in the wall gardens. Met really interesting people while staying and hopefully will be back soon.
Thanks again for everything (including your advice on other places to stay),
Gavin and Sarah

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Gavin M
Justybusty, Owner at Ballyvolane House, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2012

Dear Gavin & Sarah,

Thank you so much for staying and for your kind comments. Will share your comments with all the gang here and especially my father Jeremy the gardener! Thanks again and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 22, 2012

Just back from two wonderful days with Justin & Jenny in Ballyvolane - wonderful and friendly welcome, great local bacon & cabbage for dinner (genuine flavours and wonderful texture, unlike so much supermarket meat), cooked breakfast both mornings, nice countryside walks in the grounds, plus they organised an afternoon's canoe trip with Denis Murray, with a packed lunch, on the Blackwater river. "Canadian" style canoe - no hardship & didn't get wet. No wonder it is so attractive for special events. Best of luck with the glamping - deserves to do well. We'll be back during the summer - to explore Lismore and try the Green's other venue - O'Brien's Chop House, and to be pampered.

Room Tip: Most rooms are south facing over the landscaped rear gardens - working timber window shutters &...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Roscar1

Thank you very much for staying with us and for the review. I am delighted you had a good time and I will share your feedback with all the gang here and with Denis Murray of Blackwater Boating.

Thanks again and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

We've stayed here numerous times, firstly about 2.5/ 3 yrs ago. On our first visit we agreed if we were ever to marry Ballyvolane would be it and we had the absolute pleasure of making this a reality June 12th 2011.

If I were to name all the positives of this place I could get this review bound but here's just a couple:

Jeremy, Justin and Jenny. The most charming, informative, interesting and accomodating hosts I've ever met along with their equally charming 3 children.

Dumpling the cutest dog I've ever met, an honoury room mate and a rather popular wedding guest.

The food. Oh the food!! We arrived 4 days prior to the wedding and let's just say it was a tight squeeze into the previously "roomy" dress. From the fantastic breakfast, to afternoon tea to the most splendid dinners. I've yet to have one piece of food here I didn't love. The care and passion they put into the food is evident and I can't wait to come back for more.

The beds, bedding, room size, baths and those heavenly electric blankets.

The crackling fire which is expertly attended to.

The staff. I, along with most people, value good staff but what you get in Ballyvolane is different. They expertly make you feel like one of the family, immediately welcome and nothing is too big an ask. I can safely say Aidan was a bigger hit at my wedding than myself and my husband put together (people still ask if he passed his exams, i fear guests may have called him).

In summary this place is magic. They make each stay better than the last and gave myself, my husband, my family and my friends a wedding we simply couldn't have had anywhere else.

What the Green family is doing for Irish hospitality and food is truly exciting and I look forward to seeing what's next.

I don't have one single negative to post about this house apart from, tragically, it's not mine.

• Stayed: June 2011
Justybusty, Owner at Ballyvolane House, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2011

Thank you again for having chosen Ballyolane House as the location for your wedding. We had such fun planning and running the wedding and still enjoy reminiscing about it all.

Hope you are both keeping well and hope to see you soon. Dumpling sends hugs and kisses too.

Justin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fermoy
Castlemartyr Resort
#1 of 2 in Castlemartyr
Douglas
Maryborough Hotel & Spa
Montenotte
The Montenotte Hotel

Been to Ballyvolane House? Share your experiences!