“Bad service brings the place down... Such a pity”
Review of The Forge

The Forge
Ranked #2 of 22 Restaurants in Fermoy
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Great restaurant in a town that doesn't have many decent places to eat! Not on the main street so it would be great to let tourists know that it is there.
Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

Ate here for lunch today, had our order taken quickly and drinks arrived fairly promptly. Unfortunately it all went down hill from there. Once our food arrived which I may add was beautiful, we no longer existed. No one came to check on us, I was looking to order another drink. Couldn't get anybody's attention for a long time, eventually I ordered it, 20 mins later I still hadn't got the drink. After a while when no one was coming to clear our plates or offer dessert my friend got up to get someone's attention, then the waitress remembered the drink which I didn't want anymore as I was ready for coffee. We didn't order dessert just a tea and Capp. Capp was terrible, just looked like a black coffee with a drop of warm milk thrown on top. It's a pity to see such a fine establishment with excellent food be ruined by inexperienced I attentive staff. I will return to the forge in the near future and hope things have improved.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

The food was excellent and service was good. We got the early bird 3 course menu which was around 26 euro each. We also order an excellent Argeninean Malbec. Very recommendable!

3  Thank KaTh00007
Reviewed September 27, 2012

The restaurant is through the bar,which I thought initially was a 'man's bar',and a little off-putting.This was at end of Sept. and for the off season the Main Restaurant area is closed off, outside week-ends.So we were served by a most helpful young lady, off the bar area.We choose to avail of the 'early-bird' at 24.50 euro pp.for starter one had goats cheese,one prawns,one chicken and each loved our choice,one failed to finish the portion being 'too much'.3 then plump- for steak,which were melt in the mouth, tender added to with a pepper sauce, fit to die for. Apple tart, and fresh fruit pavlova ,was our choice for dessert,followed by tea/coffee. Full,and most surprised with each course portions, we felt very pleased with such value.Maybe a vegetable selection should be added to a meal,(it would have been too much food for our party,but the mushrooms alone seemed skimping)....also the lighting to the toilets need to be addressed.These aside, a most enjoyable evening was had in the Forge.The pint here, is also superb.Enjoy.

4  Thank Liam G
Reviewed July 29, 2012

The food was very good. They had one vegetarian offering, which I enjoyed. Service was fine, though we were there in a bit of the early dinner hour. My none vegetarian dinner partner said her meal was very good. A bit pricey.

2  Thank Gil S
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Visited here recently with members of my family for a mid-week lunch get-together.
While I appreciate that a lunchtime policy of "cooking to order" will incur a certain delay in proceedings,but rostering 2 relatively young & inexperienced girls to handle the lunch-hour rush is bordering on lunacy. While I cannot fault the quality of the food.. I found the service to be very poor..mainly due to the fact that these girls were completely overwhelmed. Received a fishcake lunch when I ordered a battered fish n chip, and while bringing this to the attention of the waitress all I got was a shrug of the shoulders, having waited long enough to get anything to the table I just accepted it as I wasn't in the mood to wait another 20-25 mins for it to be corrected. Having finished our meals we couldn't get the attention of either waitress to order coffees or even clear our plates away as they were now both taken up with a pre-booked party of 10-12 people. We paid and left to go somewhere else for coffees & desserts
Such a pity as this place appears to have the makings of a fine restaurant, possibly only needing some good management to inject a little customer service into the running of matters.

1  Thank schatzlibabe