“Perfect experience of the west of Ireland & great for kids!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Killary Sheep Farm

Killary Sheep Farm
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Leenane
More attraction details
Owner description: contains some of Ireland's most awe-inspiring and dramatic scenery including Killary Fjord. Sheepdog Demonstrations with highly skilled working dogs, feeding the lambs with bottles, Sheep shearing using the hand shears, turf cutting using the traditional method which visitors can try out this ancient method for themselves, walking trails, Great day out for all the family.
Narrandera, Australia
“Perfect experience of the west of Ireland & great for kids!”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

One of the best things we did in Ireland....honestly!
The farmer was very down to earth and relaxed and seemed good with people. The dog is very intelligent and amazing to watch at work. Views are stunning and we got the best family photo (with sheep dog 'Sweep') looking down between the mountains and across the gorgeous water inlet. The kids loved wearing gumboots and walking sticks given and they loved the walk up the hill to see the magnificent views. All in all, great value and a lovely way to see the West of Ireland. Thank you!!!!

Visited September 2013

Chicago, Illinois
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“We were there, but where was this sheep farmer?”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Went to the sheep farm, arriving about 20 minutes early for the 3pm offered demonstration. Beautiful sight, directions are accurate and signage is good. You drive in on a 1-lane road with sheep hanging out everywhere. Arrived, parked, looked around. We saw the sheep shed and the dogs kennels, including Sweep's, so I know we were in the right place... But no farmer ever showed up! We were disappointed to leave without seeing anything, I was so looking forward to seeing the doggy demo!

Visited September 2013
Manassas, Virginia
“A Must See!”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

This was a wonderful experience for me and my husband. It was not only a sheep-herding demonstration; we also were able to watch a sheep-shearing demonstration, bottle-feed some lambs, and harvest some peat. Tom was a wonderful guide. He gave us boots and walking sticks and we went up to the hillside to harvest the peat, which was fascinating, and the view from the top of the hill was spectacular. We could see the bay and all the surrounding mountains. I don't have to tell anyone who has been to Ireland how beautiful and green the countryside is. There is every color of green there, from the bright yellowish-green to the deep, almost blue-green that I've never seen anywhere else in the world. Tom was kind enough to take some pictures of my husband and I while we harvested the peat and some of us together. After that we bottle-fed some very hungry lambs, which was a lot of fun. Then came the sheep-herding demonstration. Tom only used one of his three dogs, but the dog worked very fast. This was no staged herding demonstration, like you sometimes see on TV. This was the real deal. The area the dog had to work was very large, hilly, and rocky, and sheep (probably 30 or more) were scattered all around it. Still, the dog followed all of Tom's commands and quickly got the sheep into the pen. Then, Tom showed us how to shear a sheep and even held the sheep while my husband and I took turns with the shears. Tom told us what it was like running a modern Irish sheep farm; sounds like a great deal of work. But he was very generous with his time, talking to us for a while after we had seen all he had to show us. I wanted to pay full price (which is very reasonable; 10 euro per person as of July, 2013), but we had brought a brochure with us which included a 2 for 1 admission to the farm, and Tom insisted on honoring it. So we spent a good two hours on a beautiful farm, seeing some incredible sights, and experiencing farming first-hand for only 5 euro per person. If you are going to the western part of Ireland, I highly recommend visiting Killary Sheep Farm.

Visited July 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fun for all ages!”
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

My 10 year old absolutely loved this farm visit, especially the lamb feeding and the beautiful dogs. I too was fascinated by the dogs but think i was most impressed by the turf cutting. I don't think I'll complain about chopping wood ever again!

The gumboots and walking sticks supplied at the farm were definitely a bonus since the ground is quite wet and muddy.

Tom, our host, was very kind and gracious. A wonderful way to spend an hour or so and highly recommended if you are in the area.

Visited August 2013
Frankfurt, Germany
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great experience!”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This was great fun for all our family! We were just a small group, so Tom could let everybody who wanted to have a go at sheep shearing, peat cutting and lamb feeding. The dogs were really amazing. Talking to Tom was so interesting and it didn't feel like a tourist thing at all. All in all a lovely experience!

Visited July 2013