“WOW a hidden GEM in the West of Ireland”
Review of Delphi Resort

Delphi Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Leenane
Reviewed December 15, 2008

Myself and wife and son recently stayed in this fabulous place. We were blown away by the fantastic scenery but what made the weekend for us was the wonderful attention shown to us by the great team running this GEM of a weekend hotel retreat. From the moment we arrived on Friday, we enjoyed every minute of our stay until the Sunday afternoon. Our son was free to wander the hotel at will and was always greeted by friendly staff wherever he went. The food was top class and the warm log fires and friendliness of the resort made for a wonderful weekend. I loved that fact that there was no mobile phone coverage and no TVs. My wife was very impressed with the SPA and we will be heading back for another weekend of extreme rest and relaxation really soon

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed November 24, 2008

My wife and I stayed there for 2 nights as part of a larger group.

We arrived late on the friday night while it was dark so didnt realise exactly where we were or what the scenery around was like. When we woke up though on Saturday morning in our clean and spacious room with our KING SIZE bed and opened the curtains we were left speechless by the breathtaking scenery. We had french doors which allowed us to walk straight out into the beautiful west of Ireland morning and take in the wonder of the rugged mountain scenery and the bunndorcha river flowing past us. Overall the location is very tranquil and I think the owners have gone to great lengths to make the whole centre as carbon neutral as possible and minimise any impact on the local environment. Even the outside of the hotel blends in with the surroundings. All water, waste and fuel is recycled according to their literature.

Buffet breakfast was lovely and there was a wide choice but Dinner was something special on Saturday night. My wife had the Steak for main and really enjoyed it. I had the 'melt in the mouth' scallops to start and the succulent monkfish wrapped in bacon for main. Now I love my seafood but I have to say it's a long time since I've had anything as well prepared.

The 2 of us had decided not to do any of the adventure activities and just relax in the spa and pamper ourselves. Some of our friends had an action packed weekend though and went Surfing, Kayaking and also did the forest challenges with Archery, climbing wall etc. They said they had a great time. We had a couple of treatments each in the spa and basically relaxed for the entire day on Saturday. Seaweed bath was amazing and massages were just perfect.

All in all we had a super break but what was most satisfying was the care and attention that the management paid to us. Everyone in our group noticed it and seemed to feel the same. Very very friendly there.

Will return.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank Markmarkky
Reviewed November 24, 2008

Being a Dane living in Ireland I always wanted to see the best of the country's nature. I've been to Connemara before, Cliffs of Moher and Dublin Mountains but nothing really compares to the beauty that surrounds Delphi Mountain Resort. Located in Connemara as well, the resort is hidden between mountains on all sides making it a perfect escape if you are looking for the raw beauty of nature. Even from our bed we could start the day gazing at the mountains, the alpine forest and the small river.

The fact that there are no televisions and our mobile phones not being able to reach the network, it really felt as we were cut of from the outside world for the two nights we stayed there. That makes it the perfect place to rewind while breathing in the fresh mountain air, resting and enjoying the outdoor activities the resort has to offer.

The staff was very friendly and helpful and the food was absolutely amazing. For the starter I had the best scallops I have ever tasted while my boyfriend tried the mussels - both of us love mussels and we agreed that these were some of the best we’ve ever had (they looked so nice that I couldn't help stealing a few). For main I had the tail of monkfish wrapped in Parma ham and my dessert was an apple tarte tatin. Both dishes were extremely tasty and beautifully presented. I also loved the breakfast which included the traditional Irish breakfast, cereals, cold cuts, pastries, fruit and a selection of absolutely gorgeous cheeses.

As for the activities the place has to offer we decided to skip the kayaking we had previously decided to do and instead head for a mountain walk. We abandoned the trail and headed straight up one of the lower mountains. As we came further up we got a fantastic view of the resort and the lake a little further down the road.

When we returned back we headed straight for the spa. First we spent an hour in the jacuzzi, the steam room, the sauna and the relaxation room where fruit and herbal tea were served. After that we both got a one hour long full body massage which left us feeling utterly spoilt.

There is no doubt we will be returning back the Delphi Mountain resort. Perhaps when I have guests from Denmark as I do think it's the most beautiful place I have ever seen in Ireland (and that says a lot).

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2008

Stayed here 2 weeks ago for long weekend to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We found the place very warm and welcoming. The restaurant was fantastic, very relaxed and food suberb. We did not use the spa, but other guests seemed to like that experience. Stayed by the fire with books and (complimentary) papers, played chess, talked, relaxed, and just basically chilled out. The lack of TVs, wood everywhere and the dress down attitude of staff makes the place feel more like somebodys home. Downside for us was the weather was terrible, it rained all weekend so the planned trek up the 12 bens did not materialise. If you like your accomodations a bit different a little quirky and unique I would recommend it, but if you favour the standard hotel option e.g TV, in room movies etc you might be better looing elsewhere.We booked a spring break on leaving, so our date with the 12 Bens stands!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2008

We spent a fantastic weekend in Delphi Mountain Resort.
Arrived on a Friday evening after a long drive from Dublin, and we were greeted at reception by very friendly and helpful staff. We stayed in a loft room which I thought were beautiful!
We had dinner that evening in the restaurant and everything was perfect, the mussels are probably the best I have ever tasted.
The next day we were booked into the spa for the day, which was good because the weather was terrible.
The treatments are lovely and I totally fell in love with the products they use there - Eminence Organic skin care.
We had dinner again in the restuarant on the Saturday night, it was a little busier so service was a little slower but we were in no hurry. We also got complimentary champagne!

The only negative thing I would say is at breakfast the staff were slow to clear tables and bring out fresh toast and bread. There seemed to be only one girl working there though.

All in all I would highly recommend the Delphi Mountain Resort, I loved the fact there were no TV's and phone coverage. The staff were very friendly and I hope to make a trip back there soon!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2008

I read some reviews of the resort before I decided to book. Generally, it seemed that some guests had some issues with the spa area and access to rooms and what not.
I decided to call them directly and ask them how they felt about theses issues raised in TripAdvisor. They had no knowledge of any problems as it is typical that people (in particular, irish people) may go to these places, have a less than perfect time and leave without letting the establishment know that there was a problem.

So, having set a tiny challenge, I booked anyway and headed down. I was very pleased with what I found. The place is beautful-very homely and I found that it was the sort of place where guests interacted in a very natural but unobtrusive way. There's a lovely laid back atmosphere here. very restful. They have done their best to make is as comfortable and the food is, though limited for a three day stay, very good.

Papers were available at the desk, always a simple gesture. The lounge areas were attractive and the design was charming in it's quirkiness. A bonus awaited us-we were upgraded to the suite on our arrival. We were told this was general practice if it wasn't taken up. We were completely sold. My only minor gripe is that I think access to the spa should be included in the bed and board package. It's a bit petty to pay extra. I don't mind paying for treatments but plunge pools and saunas and deck chairs should come gratis.

It is the sort of place I would very much like to return to. It's survival may be under threat in the current climate as would be the case with many hotels around the country. Here's to hoping that it not be.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2008

Enjoyed the stay at Delphi - not quite what I was expecting and I was a little nervous on arrival after reading some of the previous reviews. However, I had a great stay, the resort was beautiful, decor simple but stunning, scenary outstanding, the food was not out of this world but good, the rooms were great and very spacious (we did have a suite though). Word of caution the spa is an additional 20 Euro for 1 hour (and they did boot you out after an hour). The Spa has no swimming pool, just large jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. The treatments were great - I had seaweed bath and massage. The resort is miles from anywhere so you really just had to chill out which I worried whether I could do that for 2 days, but I managed it! Because of its location you have to buy all your food and drink at the resort so allow that in your budget (no Tesco around the corner!!!)

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leenane
Leenane Hotel
#1 of 1 in Renvyle
Ashford Castle
Ashford Castle
#1 of 3 in Cong

Been to Delphi Resort? Share your experiences!