“We found our heaven in Delphi”
Review of Delphi Resort

Delphi Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Leenane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
nyc
Reviewed July 4, 2008

Hello. Myself and my wife just returned from a 3 day stay in Delphi Mountain resort. We travelled in Ireland for 7 days in total, flying in and out of Shannon. We are both retired and have travelled all over the world. I can say, hand on heart, that this was the most unique and charming hotel we have ever stayed in. They offer loads of activities and spa options, however we choose just to mostly relax, read, and take in the amazing scenery. On day 2 we got lively and decided on doing a short trek up the mountain/hill at the front of the buidling. Assisted by a guide from the resort it was a tiring but very uplifiting experience. The resort is ran by a young team and we met with the husband and wife on numerous occasions during our stay. It is dissapointing to see other not so positive reviews here, but as the resort is only open now 2 months and there must have been some start up issues. Our stay was most memorable. The hospitality and dining were the best we recieved on our Irish vacation and I will certainly be recommending this little gem to our network.

• Liked — breath taking views
  • Disliked — 3 hour drive to airport
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank joebyrnenyc
Dublin
Reviewed June 18, 2008

The hotel (if you can call it a hotel ) was very disappointing. Dusty/dirty hallways, bedrooms were nice but defo lacking a bit of background nice as no radio/tv. The bar doesn't have a full licence and only serves wine and bottles of beer. The activities were all full and if you did manage to get a space you had to go with a bunch of 10 year old kids. Spa was fab......good treatments BUT on checking out and paying the bill the rates had gone up by eur20 each so wasn't happy about that. As a travel agent I like to try new places and I know what a good hotel is made of but Delphi resort doesn't live it to it. Staff were all very young and the casual dress made it feel like we were in a fancy hostel. Don't think I'll be returning or recommending it.

• Liked — Split level bedroom
  • Disliked — felt like a luxury hostel
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank asho36
yorkshire dales
Reviewed June 13, 2008

The rooms were beautiful, the views were beautiful but that's it. It's really an activity centre for kids. It's not a luxury hotel. It tries to be both but falls down. We were up-graded to a suite, it was luxurious but the heating in the bathroom didn't work. The staff solved it by turning on the heating in the room, which we didn't want. This had obviously been a problem before because there was a sign telling people not to mess with heating controls and cellotape stuck over the controls.To get to reception you have to go through a corridor where the young kids (girls) were. This seemed daft to me and not a good security for the kids (having strangers wandering through) Rooms weren't cleaned properly, bins unemptied, no glasses. Staff seemed to be rushing around to cope (but not coping) Breakfast staff were good, everyone else didn't really know what to do (they all seemed to have nice smiles though!) A Professional manager might help but I wouldn't go again or recommend it to anyone except perhaps
for mountain bikers, rich lads with expensive bikes.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank raikesend
ireland
Reviewed May 5, 2008

We brought our kids for a days activities and then to stay in a 2 bedroomed suite. The suite was beautiful. The activities were fun and well organised but the changing facilities were dirty, toilet paper and water on the floor of the ladies, no toilet paper in the holders and it remained uncleaned for the whole day. The showers were so basic and horrible that I wouldn't have considered using them. As we were not allowed book into our room until 4, this was problematic.

I think the main problem with the resort is that it is suffering from not quite knowing what it is supposed to be offering. If you are charging customers large prices to stay in plush bedrooms and for spa treatments you cannot expect them to be forced to use disgusting facilities for the activities. Either they offer a luxury service in the hotel and keep the adventure centre separate or something because in my view it does not work.

I could have tolerated the filth of the adventure centre if it hadn't have been for the dreadful service in the dining room and bar.

The place is completely understaffed. Or inefficiently managed. We had to approach people who looked like staff members to get service at the bar on both occasions we went. At dinner we had to set our own table (as we had children with us we were shown into a second dining room which had a few other children in it-we asked if we could be placed in the main dining room and this was fine), but the staff then disappeared and eventually arrived with a basket of bread but no cutlery etc and we had to repeatedly ask for service. In the end it was so so bad all we could do was giggle amongst ourselves. The same scenario emerged at breakfast but much worse. I can put my hand on my heart and say it was the worst breakfast I have ever had to help myself to in any hotel/guest house I have ever stayed in. The content of the buffet was basic and to get toast to your table was like climbing Mount Everest. I had to ask multiple times for everything and eventually had to go into the kitchen to get what I wanted. I suspect the hotel has adapted the service they provide for school groups in the hostel to the hotel-fine if you are paying for hostel accommodation but we were not. There was 1 delightful waiting staff member who was trying to keep the show on the road and was very pleasant but how she can sustain this is questionable.

That said the chef is excellent and we had lovely meals-but the chaos and effort of getting them before you ruined that too.

I disagree that it is a welcoming place. We found it to lack atmosphere. I kept being asked if I was a resident before going into the dining room and could not undertand why. The only polite words came when we were shown our suite and when we were sitting for over half an hour while they tried to calculate our bill.

We will not be going back. The setting is wonderful, heavenly in fact, but the service was so poor we will spend our money elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank Emma50
Belfast, NI
Reviewed November 18, 2005

This place was great! I actually just wrote a long review and then my computer ate it. Suffice to say that I can't understand why the other reviews are so poor. I stayed here with my friend for our 30th birthdays. We loved it. The food, rooms, service and treatments (we had the spa indulgence deal) were just fantastic. I keep the bill in my bag to take out and smile at sometimes, the treatments, food and cocktails make me remember what a great time we had!
I can't recommend Delphi highly enough.

• Stayed July 2005
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leenane
Leenane Hotel
#1 of 3 in Cong
Westport Coast Hotel
Westport Coast Hotel
#5 of 14 in Westport

Been to Delphi Resort? Share your experiences!