“Very lovely staff”

The Sheep and Wool Centre
Ranked #4 of 8 things to do in Leenane
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Stopped off for lunch. Pretty decent salad good value too. Staff uniformly welcoming and nice. Left with a nice warm felling.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

This is a small family owned center. Highly informative and well done. Loved Orla's presentation. Great gift shop and café. Loved their note on the chalkboard in the café: "we do not have WIFI. Please put your phones away and talk to each other".

Reviewed April 28, 2014

We dropped in at a very quiet time so had Orla, the guide in the Centre museum, all to ourselves. She was delightful and engaging and so kind to my daughters. Despite running school groups non-stop (we caught her in a lull) she enthusiastically shared so much knowledge with us and it was a visit well worth the modest admission price if you are at all interested in fiber arts or the sheep we see all over the west of Ireland. Orla is a highly skilled fiber artist (spinning, dyeing, etc) and also has a small sheep farm. She inspired my youngest daughter to gather flowers the following week at our rental home and we dyed our own yarn with Irish dandelions, gorse and lichen. The gift shop is small but offered all the usual, along with a small stash of yarn and tools if you're looking for Irish wool with which to knit.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

The tour guide shows how wool is processed by hand from the sheared wool through the weaving. The guide processed a bit of raw wool into thread by two methods. The weaving was set up on two manual machines but the operation was not demonstrated.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Had to come on here and leave a review for this cafe. We ate here over two consecutive days and the food was just lovely and really good value. But there were two things that made me come here and leave a review firstly I often eat out with my 3 year old daughter and have gotten so used to the person serving us to give the obligatory aren't you lovely but the Friday we ate here my mother daughter and myself had a lovely experience. The girl that served us spoke directly to my daughter while she was serving us asking about all her favourite tv shows she then arrived to the table with a colouring book crayons and what she called a trumpet (a paper cup) she then -after clearing it with me - bet my daughter 3 marshmallows that she wouldn't be able to eat all her dinner.
A while later my mum went to the toilet and told me that the same girl was cleaning in the corridor and when she saw my mum coming she walked ahead of her and held the door open for her then when she came back out the girl was mopping she put the mop down and walked to my mum took her arm told her to be careful and escorted her all the way back to the table.
It's rare to get service like this I'm afraid that I didn't have much money on me to leave you a tip but I really hope you get a raise. Staff like this should be valued.