“Just a shop with a small cafe really”

The Sheep and Wool Centre
Ranked #5 of 8 things to do in Leenane
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I visit this area at least once, a year, usually more. When the centre first opened the cafe was excellent and the shop had some interesting things. The shop now stocks just a few good quality items and the rest is made up of the usual tourist souvenirs.

The last few times I have visited (last week being the latest time) the cafe has had nothing of interest at all, just basic drinks and sweet things. It used to serve delicious soup and sandwiches but when he asked my husband was told that what was on display was all that was available.

The 'museum' is the greatest disappointment. As a spinner, dyer, knitter and weaver since my teenage years (a long, long time ago) I feel quite aggrieved that they do not manage to make these skills more interesting. When the centre first opened they used to advertise live demonstrations but I've never seen one. I don't know if they still make the same claim but every time I go there are just the pieces of equipment and some explanations on boards. I haven't been in the 'museum' for ages but friends who travel with me usually pay the entrance fee on the basis of "we're here, we might as well look" and then come out disappointed.

I appreciate that it's difficult to find people with both the skill and the time to be on hand to demonstrate but if finding them has become impossible then I think the 'owners' should find a way of filling this gap.

I'm not sure if this is a co-operative, a council initiative or a private enterprise, I've never seen anybody I recognise from one visit to the next, some staff are very helpful, others rather disinterested.

Leenaun is a lovely spot at the head of Killary Fjord and a convenient place to stop if travelling between Westport and Galway or Clifden (and lots of places of interest in between). It is well worth a visit and if all you want is a drink and something small to eat you could do worse than call into the Sheep and Wool Centre. The shop has enough in it to interest most people and the toilets have always been clean, in my experience, and parking is excellent.

AOT1976, Manager at The Sheep and Wool Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

We are sorry to hear of your disappointment with The Sheep & Wool Centre.
With regard to the café. Bia Blas offers a selection of sandwiches, wraps, paninis, light lunches and soup as well as their home-baking. These are available throughout the day. I can only assume that there was a misunderstanding between your husband and the café staff.
I am sorry to hear that you have never managed to see a demonstrator at the museum. You are correct regarding finding people with the necessary training to demonstrate on our wheels. We do have 2 fully trained demonstrators and are training a third local lady at present.
Between May and September, we aim to have daily demonstrations although these will not take place early morning or late afternoon. On occasion, the museum may not be available due to a pre-booked group.
Please contact us before you next visit to the area and we will ensure you get a free demonstration.
Last, but not least, we are a family business operating for the last 21 years. Staff in the shop have been here for 13 years and 5 years respectively.
Many thanks for your comments.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

A pleasant enough experience but in reality it is a shop ,albeit with pretty things. Cafe looks attractive but did not eat there so can't comment.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

We loved the gift shop and cafe at the Sheep and Wool Centre, but we found the Wool Museum to be small, and not worth the 5-euro admission fee.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Really nice selection of goods and sourvenirs, very helpful owner who knew the locality and was able to recommends places to see/things to do.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Its a very nice gift shop & cafe but the museume has a charde and is really not worth the time or effort