“Fabulous place and great food!!”

Delphi Lodge Country House Hotel
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Delphi Lodge is really a wonderful place! The house is in excellent condition and the staff are warm and friendly - many thanks to Michael and his wonderful team.
I enjoyed every minute, stayed 5 nights in March 2012. The dining experience is one of a kind - the food is excellent - thanks to Delphi Head Chef Pascal Marinot!
The location is absolutely unique and one of the most beautiful places in Ireland.
I will be back!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank fly88sky

Reviewed February 24, 2012

We (2 adults and 2 girls, aged 11 and 14) spent a happy weekend at Delphi this February 2012. While we weren't sure about the "everyone eats the same meat at one table" model (especially as my wife is a vegetarian), we quickly found that this is a big plus - it encouraged chatting and getting to know the other guests, and led to a convivial and fun atmosphere throughout the weekend. This is the first such "table d'hote" weekend we've done in Ireland, and we really enjoyed it.

Naturally, before we went, we read Tripadvisor. With some of the (few) less positive review s in mind, here's an update
- the beds are large, new, very comfortable and are neither lumpy nor creaky. We had two rooms, and this goes for both.
- the finish on both bedrooms and bathrooms was impeccable.
- as you climb the stairs you can smell your dinner cooking; in the room, you can't.
- we saw some dogs, but only outside.
- the host is not served first. Sadly, the original "host" at Delphi has moved on, and the guests must eat together without a facilitator. But we rubbed along very well, as I say above.
- we don't fish. About 35% of the people at Delphi were non-fisherpeople, and conversation was not dominated by huntin/fishin/country sports. There was certainly more than the global average of fish talk, but we didn't feel like strangers at a fishing conference.
- the fishing looks great, if that's your thing, and Delphi has great infrastructure in place - the fishing, the guides/experts/teachers/gillies/gear... a good place to come fishing, I'd say.

As others have noted
- the location is fabulous. A great place to walk, hike, run, or cycle.
- the house is lovely and in excellent condition without losing its period charm.
- the staff are warm and friendly
- it's not very cheap, but it's a very pleasant experience.

We'll go again.

Room Tip: We had two rooms and both were lovely. There's one family room, if you want one.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank C_M_I_KDublin
Reviewed February 18, 2012

I had passed by the Delphi Lodge many times but could not dine there without staying there, whch was not neccessary as I lived close by. However this changed in 2011 but it is possible to have dinner if space is available at the table.
Firstly you have to dine with the other guests at a long table. I knew this and and this was not a problem. It is good fun. You help yourself to drinks in the drawing room and write what you have had in a notebook. very trusting. The food was good and traditional but no better thanan average restaurant. After dinner guests return to the drawing room where there was a lovely open fire. Overall I would recommend the experience as the location is unique and is one of the most beautiful places in Ireland.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank drummersontour
Reviewed December 30, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights last August, and really cannot say enough about the place and the people who run it. The location is spectacular, and if you are into any outdoor sport there are multiple opportunities for fun. We biked and ran while we were there. There is an adventure centre down the road, as well as an award winning spa. The rooms are not as fancy as 5 star hotels, but are very spacious as was the bathroom. Rustic might be the term, we loved them. Dinner is at one long table, so you get to chat to other people and see what they have been up to. As well as a fabulous three course dinner by a French chef, they have wonderful canapes before dinner too! Yum! To stay here is a treat and a real getaway, with staff who really cannot do enough. We will be back.

Room Tip: The room downstairs overlooking the garden is particularly nice.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank runnergirl25
Reviewed September 7, 2011

I have been going to Delphi for many years and felt that I needed to add to my previous review now that so much work has been undertaken.

Delphi is a PRIVATE HOUSE, it is run like one, it does not have a Bar Tender or Porters and Fishing is a BIG draw for some of the guests, all that said the work that has been done in the house, redecorating. new public rooms, new bathrooms all add to what was already an exceptional experience. The staff are wonderful and no effort is spared to ensure ALL GUESTS get the most out of their stay. Everyone whether they fish or not are made welcome and no effort is spared to accomodate guests requests.

What was already one of the most enjoyable private houses you could stay at has been greatly improved by all the work. Mick and Carole. the management team. are focused on improving all aspects of the Lodge and very aware that not all guests want to fish !

I will be back next year !

Room Tip: The Lake View Rooms are worth the extra BUT if you want an early night ask for one NOT OVER the loun...
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank LAL:London
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I never write reviews but felt compelled to sperad the word on this most lovely and romantic country house in Ireland. My husband and I just returned from a 15 day trip to Ireland and staying @ the Delphi Lodge was definately the highlight! It's website does not do it justice. It's remote location made us feel like we were truely away yet it was accessible to many extrordinary sights. The accomodation was simple casual elegance, our room had a down sofa and fire place and huge king canopy bed that had the finest bedding and the renovated bathroom had a huge old bathtub for soaking. The food was absolutely spectacular! Most of all however were the people we met there - some of the lovelyest and unforgettable people who we will never forget. The staff and guests alike were extrodinary. I went and had a seaweed bath and scrub in the best spa down the road and my husband went fly fishing in their spectacular lake and river. The lodge itself and grounds are oozing w history. Many wonderful walks. Our only regret is that we didn't plan to stay a whole week.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank donna a
Reviewed July 29, 2011

During our stay in Ireland our friends who live in Galway suggested we visit one of there favourite getaways....Delphi Lodge.
We met up with another couple they know and off we went.
Simple words cannot describe the shear beauty of the Lodge.
The surrounding hills and the lake are enchanting.
The atmosphere, the people, the food and the wine were all top notch.
Sadly we heard that it was closing down.....I truly hope it's only for a short time.
We'll be back in Ireland again soon and I'll keep my fingers crossed Delphi is still there.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank BreezeRidge3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leenane
Delphi Resort
#1 of 1 in Ballyconneely
Ashford Castle
Ashford Castle
#1 of 3 in Cong

Been to Delphi Lodge Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!