“Beautiful Place!”

and 1 more site!
Portfinn Lodge
Ranked #2 of 6 Leenane B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We came to Portfinn to stay our 2nd night in Leenane after a dreadful stay somewhere else. Boy do I wish we would've picked Portfinn to begin with! My husband walked in early that morning hoping to get a room and they not only managed to find us one on short notice, but they also had it ready very quickly.

It's a lovely little place with an amazing view of the Killary Fjord from their common area, which is very beautifully decorated with local (mostly woolen) goods. Our room had a nice view as well and was quite comfortable.

The breakfast was great, very ample with way more food than we needed! I also appreciated their freshly pressed coffee. We also chose to dine at their restaurant for dinner (early bird menu) and were equally pleased. Reasonable prices and the food was amazing. Fresh local killary mussels, cut just minutes away! The lamb and salmon we chose as entrees were also local and both delicious as well as perfectly cooked. The hollandaise on top of the salmon was the best I've ever tasted. We were quite full after the first 2 courses, but couldn't help but to finish our dessert as the ice cream was just as wonderful as the rest of the meal.

I can't wait to stay here again. With the beautiful views, close proximity to the town, and great/helpful service; Portfinn is the perfect place for a little weekend stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank acappello
There are newer reviews for Portfinn Lodge

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed in Port Finn at the beginning of September. The views were really beautifully, situated overlooking Kllary Fjord (apparently the only one in Ireland. I was to discover that a movie called The Field was filmed there - super film by the way.

The guesthouse we very comfortable and I can understand why they call it Guesthouse AND
Seaflood restaurant. The menu had great variety and the food SIMPLY DELICIOUS! all served with a smile.

I believe they were closing for the winter renovations etc. so I will certainly excuse them for the fact that during our two day stay, the room wasn't tended to i.e. replacing tea bags, milk etc. I prefer to tend the bed myself no problem. I would go back there again, but bring my extra tea bags, just in case.

As the winter draws in I will think of those few days...

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My party dined at the Portfinn one evening at the end of our holiday. Staff were welcoming but we waited ages for food to arrive and when it came was dissapointing, rack of lamb requested rare was medium and vegetables unexciting. We should complained but having waited so long all we wanted to do was get out of the place. I have stopped at the Portfinn a couple of times over the years and although prices seem keener may be this is at some detriment. The new management would appear to have some way to go.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Salmonfisher1
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We ate here last week, there was three adults and one child in our group and we all really enjoyed our meal. The staff are friendly and helpful and the food was really tasty. Would recommend this restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank irishtraveller74
al575, General Manager at Portfinn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review Portfinn Lodge and Fjord Restaurant. I am glad you enjoyed your meal and hope to see you again some other time.

Regards
Alex Goor

Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed there recently on a whim as we were passing through Leenane on the way to somewhere else. Its very well run with decent size rooms. We had dinner and the fresh sea food was amazing. Staff were welcoming and even though they were busy still had time to chat. People need to realise its a guesthouse. No TV in the room but they have a small TV lounge which is an excellent place to meet others on holiday

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RoyTriggs

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review Portfinn Lodge and Fjord Restaurant. I am glad you enjoyed your stay here and thought the service and room were good. You are correct when you say that we had a power cut on the morning of your departure and the breakfast was below par, I would like to apologise for this. This is a rare occasion and guests are normally very happy with the breakfast. Hopefully you will return some day and we can give you a breakfast to remember.

Regards
Alex Goor

Reviewed July 24, 2012

Stayed in Protfinn Lodge in Leenane. Had a fabulous spacious room with double bed, large wardrobes, couch and table. The ensuite was fine, a little dated however the best featureI’ve left for last. In the main room, to the left of the bed, were double doors opening out to the back of the B&B…looking up the mountains. Stunning. After a very peaceful and uninterrupted sleep, the icing on the cake was pulling back the curtains, opening the doors, to warm breezes and sunshine, then crawling back under the crisp white sheets and looking straight out at green mountains while the local resident sheep provided the soundtrack. The hosts were very welcoming and friendly. Breakfast was lacking, plates and food cold, brown toast burnt, all thought to be due to a power cut in the kitchen. However, when another two guest came down after us, they got lovely steaming (visible across the room) hot breakfasts.
But, would I return… Yes… get B&B in a great location !!!
B&B price was €78 for two sharing, for me this was top price, but the B&B worth it.

Room Tip: Well we had room 4, looking out to the rear of the property.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fafafe
Reviewed July 22, 2012

The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. They are knowledgable about what's on in the area and what to do and see. The rooms are comfortable and spacious with lovely views. It's like a small hotel in that you can come and go to the house during the day with coffee and tea available in room. No tv or wifi in the room but for me thats a plus. The breakfast is great with a full irish breakfast cooked to order and plenty of fruit and cereal. Great location and just two minutes walk from the village. But dinner was disappointing. There was nothing intrinsically wrong with the food but i expected something more given the restaurants reputation - as I had gone there especially for the restaurant that was clearly a disappointment.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Adele1966
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leenane
Leenane Hotel
#1 of 1 in Clonbur
The Convent
The Convent
#1 of 6 in Leenane

Been to Portfinn Lodge? Share your experiences!