“Slightly quirky; worth visiting”
Review of Corcreggan Mill

Corcreggan Mill
London, United Kingdom
“Slightly quirky; worth visiting”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The site has a great location with views towards the lake and sand dunes. We visited for two nights in our camper van. The facilities are clean if basic, although I'm not sure if they had disposal etc facilities for campervan/caravans. The place itself is individual and slightly quirky but we thought that added to the charm compared to a bog standard 'corporate' campsite. The site is along the road from Dunfanaghy town so you'll need to get a Euro7 taxi to get into town from the campsite (we fancied a drink rather than driving).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Simon_Review
BrendanRohan, Owner at Corcreggan Mill, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Hello Simon,
Many thanks for your complimentary review but I would say, as most people would ... that the place is totally quirky.

My main aim is to try to attain a balance between what the property and the area needs and deserves and the needs of my guests. There is a vision, which I try to tap into but I have also had a lot of useful guidance towards the provision of essential facilities for all my guests. Sadly, those facilities, including re-cycling and disposal of all waste, but we failed you worst of all if we didn't point out the new and totally quirky, themed lounge which I created especially with you in mind.

Hopefully my signage, if not my staff, will be better placed/prepared for your next visit..

Best r,
Brendan.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2013

A very interesting and inspiring place, possibly one of the nicest hostels i have stayed in anywhere. Unfortunately we only stayed one night. As soon as we walked in the door Brendan, the owner, was giving us the low down on the best things to do and see in the area and was regaling us with the area's history and his own. The dining and drawing room and indeed the whole place would be a good setting for a Chekhov play. There is a piano downstairs and guitar upstairs in the bar. There is a faerie grotto and boat house in the garden. My friend tells me there is a bus from Belfast which drops you right outside but can't vouch for this. Highly recommend the beach north-west of the hostel.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
BrendanRohan, Owner at Corcreggan Mill, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you Michael for your very complimentary review. At the minimum, it's something of a relief and re-assurance after the one we received the day before.

I'm very grateful for your highly descriptive and positive insight into the décor and setting, which I hope you will return to enjoy in the not-too-distant future.

I can confirm that we are very well served here by excellent, local coach services which can convey any traveller right to our door at a very reasonable price, whether from Dublin, Galway, Belfast or Derry. We also have the good fortune to have eight, distinctly different, golden-sandy beaches within an 8-km radius, as well as the 200m Horn Head sea-cliffs and Ards Forest Park (Glenveagh National Park and Tory Island being only just a little further).

Thanks again,
Encinitas, California
Reviewed August 1, 2013

A friend in the B and B business set us up at this b and b. Dunfanagy is a fabulous town but this b and b a big disappointment. Okay, positives first, they have tent camping, a hostle, a kitcken with a refrigerator, stove, and all the cooking gear, flatware, dishes, etc. The negatives, surley, rude staff, quite overpriced and tiny (but spotlessly clean and somewhat cute décor) rooms. They wanted cash, saying that they would provide a better breakfast. There was no mention of ordering your "hot" breakfast the night prior or that, for two people, it would be an additional $14 euros, no information in the rooms, nothing anywhere,, maybe the thought we were telepaths. So, at breakfast we said we would like eggs and bacon, the looked at us as if we came from mars in a spaceship and almost screamed we should have told them the night before and it would take a half hour to make this incredibly difficult breakfast. We declined. Stay in darling Dunfanagy but don't stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank looski
Some of my current guests who have reported reading this review suggested that the reviewer must surely have stayed at some other B&B or maybe had an ulterior motive, as intimated in the first line of the review.

The biggest surprise to me personally and, to our current guests ... and according to previous reviews and guests, is the reference to “surly, rude staff”. This comment is totally unfair and incorrect but it has caused me to question the mood and motive of the reviewer. I must remember to find out which of my staff can tell the terrestrial origin and mode of transport of my guests by the look on their face but perhaps they actually can recognise an unhappy, troubled traveller at first glance, just as this reviewer suggests, with such theatrical phraseology.
Every year we put a tremendous amount of effort and expense into improving our facilities and services, which might account for the popularity of Corcreggan Mill as well as the quality/price ratio.

We have noted on our website and on our notice-board; and our staff offer the option of a cooked Irish breakfast, at an additional €5, to guests when checking in, requesting that they order it the night before (this is to save on un-necessary wastage on this rarely asked-for, additional extra). The vast majority of our guests are very pleased with the extensive continental breakfast (fresh fruit, natural yogurt, fruit juices, honey, jams, a variety of toast, wheaten, and soda breads, different cheeses, teas and real coffee, freshly made) which we provide. The reason it takes 20 minutes to provide a full Irish breakfast at short notice is that everything required is freshly prepared to order, which includes garnishing, freshly picked from our organic garden, resulting in the meal being presented at its best, which, as they say, they declined!.

Finally, I wish to acknowledge and express my gratitude for the compliments which were also expressed in the review, despite the low rating ... but my favourite line, which I find quite catchy and endearingly descriptive, is the term “darling Dunfanaghy”. Also, since I’ve noticed that in the few negative reviews we’ve received over the years, there is usually one piece of valuable advice, I accept that a notice in the rooms to emphasise the need to order a full Irish breakfast in advance is a good suggestion and I shall be pleased to follow up on that useful tip.Thank you.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights camping in July. The site was very busy but there was a great atmosphere and all of the staff were very friendly and helpful. The new bar is a great addition to the site. The camping facilities were very good. Would definitely recommend a stay for anyone looking to explore the beaches around Dunfanaghy and Horn Head.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
BrendanRohan, Owner at Corcreggan Mill, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Many thanks for your kind and timely review and your recommendation to other campers.

I'm relieved that you enjoyed the atmosphere and the service we provided, especially during what turned out to a very busy three weeks on our campsite where so many people were delighted to avail of the very welcome, long sunny period we experienced recently.

Best regards and thanks again for submitting your review.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We are a family of 4 with a 5 and a 6 year old. We have camped here once before in term time. when we had a truly magical time. Unfortunately this stay it seemed the small campsite was over filled for both the space and the facilities. In addition there was a crowd of 3 noisy families who kept most campers awake until 4 am despite the owner asking them at 2 am to be quiet. You are unable to pay by credit card as the owner has some ethical problems with big banking. This ethical approach would be best used if applied to his own business as well. There were too many people booked into this small camp!

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank Emma M
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review, which is correct in some respects but misleading, disingenuous and totally incorrect in some details. I’m sorry if you did not enjoy the same magical experience which so many other campers did on this occasion and which you say you did yourself on a previous visit, and I too must admit to being surprised that the campsite became full to its capacity so quickly, resulting in us turning so many people away. This came about due to the popularity of the site, the service we provide and the unusually long sunny period around the time of your visit.

The combination of these factors contributed to a number of our ‘happy campers’ begging to extend their stay which meant that our small, informal campsite filled to capacity quite quickly. I appreciate that this may have been disconcerting to some who have experienced the campsite when it has been less busy.

My recollection of the “crowd of 3 noisy families” is at variance with yours. There was a group of three families who particularly enjoyed their experience here and whom I asked at 1130pm, to quieten down their enthusiastic but normal conversation, as most other campers were already turning in. They very respectfully apologised, cut their conversation short and went to bed immediately, as I did myself. Being a light sleeper and that my cottage is immediately beside these tents, I found no further need to engage with them, especially not at 2am or at 4am, which I can assure you I would not forget.

It is absolutely untrue that guests cannot pay by credit card. As a result of the banking debacle last year I found that my guests were completely understanding and quite happy to pay in cash in those impossible circumstances. I then decided that I would try to encourage as many guests as possible to continue to pay by cash, thereby allowing me to use the saving made on bank fees to further increased the quality of the breakfast we provide, which I would have thought you might understand as a ‘win-win’ for my guests. I find this to be more a question of resourcefulness and common sense, rather than ethics, which this recession has, thankfully, encouraged some of us to rise to.

I do hope you will see fit to return and enjoy our hospitality and the peace and quite of the site but perhaps at a less busy, holiday weekend.

Best regards,
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We camped for two nights this past weekend at Corcreggan Mill. On the first night we were 4 adults and 4 children; on the second night friends joined us and we became 8 adults and 8 children. It is a beautiful and quirky place, with a lovely lawn for campers - made it feel like we were camping in the back garden! Very family friendly, and our children loved exploring the garden, walking down by the stream and making friends with the chickens, geese and Danu the dog (not to mention the other campers!) The showers and toilets were very clean, as was the campsite. Many thanks to Brendan and the staff who were so friendly and helpful, creating a relaxed holiday atmosphere. This hidden gem is just minutes from the lovely town of Dunfanaghy and some amazing beaches, in particular the beautiful Marble beach; a great base for exploring north Donegal, with spectacular views in all directions. This was my very first camping experience, and I would highly recommend Corcreggan Mill, and will definitely be returning.Thank you for a brilliant weekend

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Georgina G
Many thanks to you for taking the trouble to make such a complimentary review and account of your camping experience here.

I'm so glad that you had such a fulfilling experience in the area and on our campsite in particular.

I do hope you will find the time and inclination for a return visit, whether to the campsite or the Mill House accommodation, in the not too distant future.

Best regards,
Bundoran, Ireland
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned froma weekend in corcreggan camping.
We were a big group with kids and were a bit noisy at night but Brendan was very understanding.
Thanks for a great stay and we will be back again indeed!
Lots of things to do locally and definitely recommend Marble Hill beach.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Doogleman
BrendanRohan, Owner at Corcreggan Mill, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Thank you for the Southernly-positive and complimentary review.

It’s always a delicate balance between keeping a strict regimental order on the campsite and allowing a free-for-all. I prefer making some allowance for the natural exuberance and excitement associated with the joy and adventure of camping, while appealing to my guest’s common sense, fair play and respect for each other’s needs ... which usually works quite well.

The property is noted for having a quietening, calming effect on so many people who might otherwise get little enough chance to have such an experience. Sometimes it takes a couple of days to find the balance and get in tune with the gentle rhythm of the property.

I look forward to your next visit but I may have to consider buying a box chill-pills for dispensing to all campers.

Thanks again,
Brendan.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunfanaghy
Arnolds Hotel
An Chuirt, Gweedore Court Hotel
Mulroy Woods Hotel
Mulroy Woods Hotel
#1 of 1 in Milford

Been to Corcreggan Mill? Share your experiences!