“Really disappointing”
Review of Corcreggan Mill

Corcreggan Mill
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I stayed at this B and B on the strength of the reviews on trip advisor and I was really disappointed.

The overall experience was unimpressive. I arrived at 5.30 and wanted a shower to prepare for dinner after being in the sea during the day. The shower was cold, when we asked if there was hot water the host said there would be at 6.15 and not before at 6.30 the shower was still cold. Not impressed! Breakfast was really cheap ingredients and not good quality food and I felt embarrassed that all the international guest did not get to sample the great food normally available in Ireland especially the famous fry.

A few other bad points were made the stay a disappointment in what is a lovely building in a beautiful setting.

I would definitely not recommend.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Elefan
BrendanRohan, Owner at Corcreggan Mill, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2012

Dear Reviwer,
I'm sorry if you had a disappointing experience when you stayed with us recently but I'm sure you will appreciate that it is virtually impossible to please everyone, despite our constant efforts to do so.

I do not propose to offer an excuse for the shower being cold, except to explain the reason. Unfortunately some of our showers are connected to the central heating system, which we have set for normal operating times of evening, night-time and morning, which satisfies most guests's needs.

If, as you explain, a guest requires hot water at any other time we put on the central heating system immediatel but there is a delay of nearly an hour before the hot water is available at some of the rooms so we also offer the possibility to use one of the separate electic showes nearby.

I'm afraid that your further comments are completely off the mark, as can be seen by a quick scan of all the other guest comments on Trip Advisor. In the first place, after 22 years of experience in this business, we find it best to offer a number of breakfast options. The Continental breakfast which you were so unhappy with is very definately the preferred option and is included in the quoted price, but the ingrediants are of the usual high quality available from local suppliers. We also offer a Full Irish breakfast at an additional charge and this is sometimes but rarely availed of by all those "international guest" you were un-necessarily embarrassed for as, unlike you and I, they prefer the healthier option.

It's a great pity that you did not make your disappointment known when you were here, especially so that I might have had an oppertunity to attempt to appease you in a more mutually satisfactory way. Nonetheless, I thank you for yourkind comments re the building and setting and I will research a better shower-heating option.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

my friend and i stayed here for three night and it was fab! the host were very homely and informal in a good way :) they don't pester you yet make you feel welcomed. the host also gave my friend and i great advice about where to go and what to see while we were there and took us to and from the town himself, personal touch! ill definately be back, thanks for the best hostel experience.

Becka & Joni

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank becka P
BrendanRohan, Owner at Corcreggan Mill, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Hello Becka and Joni,
I'm very grateful for your complimentary review and I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much. It's responses and reviews like yours that make our efforts worthwhile and give us the encouragement to keep going in the tough times.

I do hope you'll return and enjoy the property, the service and the area soon again.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

As many reviewers have already said, a visit to Corcreggan Mill is an experience to be savoured. This is due to the combination of stunning scenery and the most perfect host it has ever been my pleasure to meet. It is quite clear that Brendan Rohan sees it as an honour and even a duty to provide for all the needs of his guests.
The rooms are large and airy and, in our case, we shared a bathroom with one other bedroom which was not a problem. There are two lounges for the guests, one with a piano. There is also a shared kitchen where you can prepare and eat your own food.
During the second day of our stay, my girlfriend fell ill. When I reported this to Brendan, he arranged an appointment with the local GP and even drove us into the village to see him. He went to some considerable trouble to allow us to stay on for an extra night. Without wishing to go into too much detail, we missed our coach (the only one that day) to Belfast due to a mix up. This too was sorted out very elegantly by our host. I can honestly say that in all my years of travelling that I have never experienced better treatment!
We will very definitely be back to explore even more of this beautiful part of the world.
This is really not a place just to pass through. I would highly recommend a stay of at least three days to any fellow travellers, take the time to absorb the peace and tranquillity which is all around you in this lovely part of Donegal.
Tony and Fonza from the Netherlands

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tony G
BrendanRohan, Owner at Corcreggan Mill, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Dear Tony and Fonza,
I personally, very much appreciate your kind comments on our property, business and general service.

I also have to say that I believe that the trouble you have taken to tell the world of your own personal experiences here will have a direct and positive influence on people who rely on the comments of previous guests to guide them and, for that I am truly grateful,... as I hope they too will be.

Many thanks for staying with us, giving us such a good review and I look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

Who would ever guess that you would find a restored railway carriage and an old red British telephone box in the wilds of the north coast of Donegal but when you stay in Corgreggan you will find both. Danu's smiling eyes greeted me as I walked into the main yard and when I saw the old black grand piano in the living room, I knew that I was going to enjoy my stay. Brendan has cleverly used the stones of the old mill to build his new hostel/castle and the spirits in the stones whisper to you in the quiet of the dark Donegal nights. I have stayed in quite a few hostels all over the world but this one is very special. I stayed for three nights but I think that three weeks would have been better. The staff are great - especially Angelina, Shannon and Marina. Who said that Germans don't have a sense of humour?

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Paul G

Hello Paul G,
Many thanks for your kind review of our property (truly, Danu's Kingdom), our staff and the business, which also serves to remind me of how the property and business has evolved in the 22 years since I began it all in the Mill Cottage, ... which feels like it was only yesterday. Sadly, the Carriage and Kiln House part has been closed since the man who bought it from me in 2006, passed away in May 2011. However, in response to the ever-changing customer needs we have opened two extra rooms in the Mill House, including my own private apartment there (since I now live in the Mill Cottage); created better services for campervan guests in the back car-park and we are currently extending the front car-park and creating a better bar-b-cue and patio area on the edge of our organic, veggie garden.

I’m also delighted that you noticed Andrina’s subtle but wonderful, German humour. Danu, being a Weimeraner is also German-born and has her own, unique sense of humour,

Hopefully, see you soon again. If you live in Letterkenny you can avail of more frequent visits here.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Having spent just the one night at Corcreggan Mill I was very impressed and would certainly be returning. Lovely countryside and a beautiful place to stay shared kitchen was well equiped we made a meal on the night we stayed and met some nice people, there is also two lounges if you just wanted to sit and read we were also told that the owner Brendan at times can entertain his guest with his storytelling we missed this but maybe next time, accomodation would suit all age groups plenty of outside space lovely gardens that are well cared for, a variety of rooms and dorms we had a double and a twin the double was very good value and the twin was more like a family room very big with a double bed and bunk beds. Staff very nice/helpful/friendly all in all a very nice experience and looking forward to my next visit. I would highly recommend it and I am looking forward to my next visit. Go see for yourself you wont be dissapointed.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Hello Pauline,
Many thanks for your very kind review of our property and service and I’m particularly delighted that you enjoyed your short stay so much.

Yes, it’s true that I sometimes impose my ‘short stories’ on unsuspecting guests who mostly, trundle off to bed afterwards, relieved that they were only subjected to the short version of the tale. One of my stories is about a Wise Man (with a Scottish name) whom I met in 1988 on the nearby, Inis Bo Finne, ... a little visited, incredibly beautiful island, which is entirely off the tourist trail. I am relieved to report that all who visited there have come back with very personal, satisfying and completely individual responses and experiences of that very special, very beautiful place. If you read this and send me an email, I’ll send you that story and I’ll offer suggestions of a local, luxury coach service, from Glascow to our door.... for your next visit.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Corcreggan Mill is a wonderful place in a beautifully restored old house. The rooms range from dorm style to hotel style rooms with private bathroom. The rates are very reasonable. There is a shared kitchen and some great lounges with lots of character. Everything is very clean and well maintained.
The best thing about the place is the great atmosphere - owners Brendan and Marina are extremely helpful and happy to share their extensive knowledge about the area with the guests. Dunfanaghy is a very interesting village, and there are plenty of beautiful sights: Horn Head, Tramore Beach, New Lake etc.
We spent six days at Corcreggan Mill, but would have liked to stay longer. It is a place that we would definitely like to come back to!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank 2012_Katarina

Hello Katerina,
Sorry for the late reply to your wonderful review.

We all remember with great fondness the lovely company of you and your sister. You both, very quickly, became like members of the family and it was a great delight to share your company and guide you about the area.

I think you got the best benefit from the area, not just by your disarming gentleness and openness and willingness to explore the scenery, culture, history and traditions to the utmost but also because you stayed so long in one place, particularly this very special area.

We all look forward, with pleasant anticipation, to your nest visit to Corcreggan.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

What a great 'Get Away From It All' we had at Corgreggan Mill in May. It was yet another familly get ogether arranged by my indomitable sister Hilda. We arrived a party of 30, give or take, ranging from aged 70'ish to1 year old, from America, Scotland and Northern Ireland, to find a home from home. All our ideosynratic requirements were embraced (who would dare to argue with Hilda)!!! We even had the use of the industrial kitchen which was fantastic for the Ulster Fry....unheard of in Donegal. We will return. Thank you Brendan.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Dorothy B

Hello Dorothy,
Many thanks for your very nice review and sorry that it took me so long to respond.

I very much enjoyed the company of your whole group, who certainly took over the Mill House and made it your "home from home". It is a lovely compliment to us that you had such a great feeling in the house, especially since you all stayed a full week!

If you don't mind, we will use your heading "Get in touch with the real world" as a header on our new website which is 'under construction' as I write and where your words will be immortalised.

Brendan.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunfanaghy
Arnolds Hotel
4 mi away
Shandon Hotel and Spa
Shandon Hotel and Spa
#1 of 1 in Portnablagh

Been to Corcreggan Mill? Share your experiences!