“Excellent as usual”

Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Excellent for a late breakfast. Biggest helping of scrambled eggs I've ever seen. Really nice meal, friendly service, and popular with locals. Dinner menu looks a bit limited, but if you find something you like on it, dig in chum.

Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

I am a firm believer in good quality service, and to be honest, I can't fault the front-of-house service of the Starfish; its staff are all very friendly and helpful.

My issue is the lack of consistency: more than once, I or members of my family have visited the starfish and they have run out of something, be that sausages at breakfast, gas for cooking the food, rosemary potatoes or umpteen other things on more that one occasion.

The food is truly delicious (the chorizo ciabatta is my favourite of all), but it's hard to get have bad food when there's quite a small selection. The coffee is also good; the milk was not well texturised but the Green Bean coffee itself is delicious. I did have to get an extra shot to make it as strong as I like, but I do like quite strong coffee. I will say though that the pastries on the counter should all be covered (I couldn't swear my life on it, but I don't think all of them were), especially in summer.

The décor is this restaurant's greatest asset and I commend Ms Massey for decorating it so well and for developing such a nice ambiance. But I think it is very overpriced: Lizzie's large fry (and it is truly large) is the same price as the Starfish's small fry-up, for example.

Overall, I must stress that no aspect of this restaurant/café/bistro is bad, but in Dunfanaghy, there is better - in respect of food, consistency and service.

2  Thank airke
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

Had one of the nicest sandwiches I have had in ages here today. It was the chicken, sunblush tomato and pesto on granary with a cup of delicious tomato soup on the side. My partner enjoyed the soup so much he wants to go back for lunch tomorrow. Good service and very nice polite waitresses.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

it was a wet day , and the cafe was extremely busy . Even so the service was extremely slow and the salads for Euro 8.50 were small and unexciting.

2  Thank NOD07
Reviewed August 2, 2014

A sign in Starfish asks customers to please write a review as they are so keen to improve- well sometimes you get what you wish for.
I arrived at Starfish at 11.54 but as my wife is disabled and needing help to her seat. I waited for my order to be taken at 12.02 - I wanted the Irish Fry. The young girl said Breakfasts stop at 12 midday ! - I tried to explain that I was in place waiting for my order to be taken at 11 56 and we are now 2 mins late because the place was busy.She kindly agreed with me and said she would ask the Chef.- Wait for it - The Chef said 12 was 12 and she will not deviate on time.
Bewildered I then asked about Gluten Free food for my wife - She can have a small packet of biscuits with her coffee was the answer.
Ready to explode with anger I decided to just leave which was the best course of action. I went to Arnou's at Arnold's Hotel and we had a full Gluten free Menu and I got my Fry. Arnou's serves a Breakfast Menu all day.
Why would you run a business in this day of austerity and chase two cash customers to your opposition a few doors up.
Anyway -We will not be back and I will make a point of telling others in the village to avoid at all costs. I shall vote with my feet!

9  Thank kphinds