“The best escape”

Starfish Cafe & Bistro
Ranked #8 of 18 Restaurants in Dunfanaghy
Cuisines: Irish, Cafe, European
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Londonderry
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best escape”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I moved to Donegal and it was a moment in Starfish that made me feel, 'this is home', the staff asked my name and introduced me to other regulars. 'Cheers' and 'Central Perk' in reality. When travelling and boarding my plane to come home I often think, 'a flat white (the best I've tasted anywhere) and a lemon slice in Starfish as soon as I get home'. Starfish is well worth a 30 minute visit or being a weekly regular in.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Happy436

Northern Ireland
“Nice but could have been very good”
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

Stopped off for a snack and found nice sofa to sit at with my wife (20th wedding anniversary trip). They had deep fried Brie on the Specials but sadly we arrived too late (3pm). Menu fairly limited to ciabatta or wraps which were ok. It was a Tuesday and off season. Would have been nice to have a side salad and maybe chicken breast rather than sliced chicken. Staff very pleasant. Nice relaxing atmosphere in a beautiful part of Ireland. Wifi access a great bonus

• Visited October 2013
Rathmullan, Ireland
“Great organic food”
Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

Lovely friendly cafe. Great home made cakes,scones & breads. Fantastic organic porridge loved it. Great selection on the menu from breakfast to dinner. Cosy & lovely inside. Nice art work on walls.

Visited September 2013
northern ireland
“Really yummy meal”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We went to Starfish for an evening meal at the end of August. We really enjoyed our meal. The restaurant itself is lovely and cosy and has a very welcoming atmosphere. We brought our 2 year old daughter & the staff were very accommodating with our 'off menu' requests. As mentioned on here before its a BYO restaurant, which suited us well.
My husband had an amazing 'Crab Crumble' to start. We've never seen crab served this way & it was truly delicious. He says it's one of the best starters he's ever had! I've included a picture on here, though it doesn't really do it justice. It was really rich & the crab was very fresh. I had another stunning starter; salmon smoked over peat, which the waitress told us is done locally. The smoky flavour was complemented by a lovely wheaten bread.
For a main course I had some tasty fresh fish with locally gathered samphire. The menu is largely based on local seafood which is very appropriate to the area & decor in the restaurant. However my husband went for the steak, which again is local & extremely delicious. Unfortunately we didn't have time to sample the desserts (as our daughter was ready for bed by that stage!) but they sounded yummy. Overall the food was fresh, interesting & a real surprise to find in this little corner of Donegal.
We returned for breakfast & lunch in the remainder of our trip & this was very good too. They do a great lunch for kids, a 'kids platter' I think it's called, which is something we haven't seen elsewhere. Our daughter really enjoyed this. The french toast with bacon & maple syrup was another highlight.
A real find.

• Visited August 2013
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Jazz and Blues”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We waited more than 20 minutes and no one approached us to take our order. The place was not busy and there were three or four staff just standing about talking. I will not be back

Visited September 2013