“Great place to stay and see”

Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Enniskerry
Reviewed December 1, 2009

Have to say this was the most oppulent hotel we have ever stayed in. Everything was perfect but expensive. Oh to be wealthy. Pool and spa area were beautiful and relaxing. Staff were freindly especially the concierge. Suite was huge and perfect. Did eat one meal at the Chef Ramsey restaurant included in our package and had the 7 course Chef's surprise. It took 2 hours for dinner and was relaxing. We can't afford to stay in a Ritz unless there is a unbelievable special but DON'T turn down the opportunity if it comes along

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,692)

Reviewed November 30, 2009

I am just back after a fantastic w/end at the Ritz Carlton Powerscourt.

We were down at the hotel to celebrate our engagement.

Our experience began with our car being taken (valet parking) and bags brought to the room. We were booked into a garden view suite originally but were upgraded to a mountain view suite on account of the occassion.

The room was unbelievable! Two bathrooms, walk in wardrobe, sitting room, 2 plasma tvs, 6 foot bed, large bath, separte shower area and a tv built into the mirror of the bathroom! We also had a large balconey area which looked onto the grounds of the hotel - beautiful!

We had afternoon tea in the lobby. This was really nice and a nice touch with champagne with it.

Later that evening we went to the Gordon Ramsay restaurant. Again, top notch with lovely food and great service.

Breakfast in the morning was available until 10:30. Try and get there by 10 as there was a bit of a back log of people waiting for a table who arrived just before 1030. Breakfast was self-service with great choice and agin lovely food.

We had a look around the spa, gym and pool but didn't use these as we forgot our gym gear. The pool is gorgeous!

Our overall experience at this hotel was flawless from the facilities to the food and also the staff who were really excellent.

Worth the 5* !!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dub09
Reviewed November 15, 2009

We spent 6 days with our friends in Nov. 2009. The hotel is incredible, the luxury is almost obscene! We had a suite with an adjoining deluxe room, heated bathroom floors with TV in the mirror, remote control curtains, electronic this, automatic that--list is endless.

Indoor pool a treat, simply walking the gardens, is awe inspiring. 30 mins from Dublin via DART.

Quite simply the best vacation we've ever had, and the Ritz is responsible for a lot of that!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 13, 2009

We celebrated our 25th wedding anniverary in a suite at the ritz carlton it was fantastic .The rooms are finished to perfection the service is the best we have ever received.Gordon ramsay restaurant was very high standard. just a absolute perfect anniversary the hotel staff made it very special time we would definately return.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2009

I can't believe anyone could fail to give this hotel absolutely top rating. It is admittedly very expensive - they charge good value room rates, but make up for this in the price of incidentals, such as drinks.
It's the most luxurious, relaxing and absolutely perfectly fitted hotel I've come across in a long time and far exceeds the quality of hotels in a similar price category that I've stayed in recently. For a change the pictures you see on the hotel website are an exact representation of what you see when you arrive.
I would travel from London just to stay here for the weekend. I particularly liked the breakfast buffet selection, although since I'm seriously addicted to caffeine I did find the lack of my own coffee pot annoying - can't survive on just one small cup I'm afraid!

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed October 28, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a week visiting Dublin, and we spent six nights at the Ritz in a suite. Before I go too far, I want to mention that the Ritz is not very easy to find, and did not show up as a location on the local Garmin GPS system that came with the rental car. We instead had to punch in the Powerscourt Hotel, which is somewhat nearby, and then drive around until we finally saw a sign for the estate and the smaller Ritz sign. If you happen to have the same problem, head to the Powerscourt Hotel, which is located on a small roundabout, and continue to the first exit, so you will pass the hotel on your right, and you will continue up a hill that curves to the right. Well up the street, on the right side, you will see a large white sign for the Powerscourt Estate, and a small blue sign for the Ritz. Turn right here and head through the first set of black iron gates, which are unmarked, (and closed at night so that you have to be buzzed in). Continue through here and make the first left, which leads you down to the Ritz through a second set of iron gates. The journey from the roundabout takes a little over 5 minutes.

We arrived on Sunday in the late morning, but I was disappointed to find that we were not able to be checked in right away. I completely understand that this is not guaranteed, but I had checked to see if there was still room availability on the website the morning we left, and there were still suites per the site. We read books on one of the couches near the fireplace for the next two hours until a room opened up for us. The front desk was very apologetic, but they were all very young (even to us, and we’re in our 20s) and not the most experienced.

We were given room 693, and I'm still not sure if this was a Mountain View or Garden View since we couldn't see either very well - this overlooks the front of the hotel where the parking lot is located, as well as some lush hills beyond.

Our room did not have a separate living room, but it did have a spacious sitting area, and we had a small wardrobe in the entrance room. I will echo other reviewers in that there were far too few hangers - maybe eight for two people. There was no wireless internet in our room or in the lobby, and we never received any complimentary newspapers. Like at least one other person who wrote, I also found that the small knob on the door to the toilet came off, but I was able to shove it back in decently. I think was bothered me most about the service was that housekeeping didn't replace the lotion or q-tips until our fifth day - and only after I cleared off the counter and placed the empty lotion and wrapper in plain sight.

We did get new shampoo/conditioner/bodywash nearly every day, but that was the extent of the amenities, which is really poor for a Ritz. No razor, toothbrush, or anything besides the basics you'd get anywhere else. There was a bottle of bath salts, but I think the lid was glued on – I tried many times to get the lid off with no luck. Each night, we would get a chocolate and a small bottle of water on our bedside table. I have to add that we were very grossed out by the toilet brush which was, er, dirty when we arrived and was not cleaned or replaced during our entire stay. I finally rinsed it in the tub a bit myself. Everything else in the bathroom was cleaned immaculately.

Our other major problem was the bed. One side of the mattress was completely crushed to the point that I would actually roll to that side of the bed during the course of the night. We didn't notice the problem right away since you couldn't tell by the looks of it, but it was uncomfortable and that mattress needs to be replaced. I really should have called to complain about this, but we didn't discover it until we'd unpacked and hung up our clothes and settled in, and switching rooms seemed like much too much effort in our jetlagged state. At least the bed was large enough for us to squeeze over to one side to avoid the dip.

We did love the automatic drapes, and it was lovely to have the largest wall of the room almost entirely made of windows. The rain, which fell every day, was very loud against the windows, so beware of that. It would wake me up at night and even drown out the television.

We didn't eat anything at the hotel, but we did have a Guinness in the lobby one evening, and the service was quick and efficient. We'd considered going to the pub downstairs, but it was empty so we stayed away.

Driving to Dublin took about 30 minutes if we left the hotel around 10am, and one day took an hour and a half due to earlier morning commuter traffic. The roads in Enniskerry where the hotel is located are not great; there are major potholes and the roads are very curvy and quite narrow. The road that the Ritz is on is much better. The nearby M50 and other freeways are excellent.

If we return to Dublin, I would much prefer to stay in the city itself. The Ritz was a fine place to stay, but the benefits in no way outweighed the inconvenience of being far from the city in what turned out to be an average hotel. Had it been very luxurious, I'm sure I would think differently.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kak513
Reviewed October 18, 2009

We stayed for six nights...part of a package (air, rental car and hotel) booked through Sceptre Tours. How we ended up in this fabulous hotel for the price we paid, I have no idea. Rooms were amazing; service was outstanding. We didn't dine at Gordon Ramsey's but enjoyed the pub and scones and coffee/tea in the mornings. I've read the negative reviews here...we didn't experience anything of the sort.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank bwb73
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniskerry
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
#6 of 150 in Dublin
Summerhill House Hotel
Summerhill House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Enniskerry

Been to Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!