“Putting On The Ritz !”

Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Enniskerry
Reviewed April 30, 2009

Stayed at this amazing property over Easter, the hotel is spectacular and staff amazing, especially the lovely waitress from Italy that worked in the Sugar Loaf Lounge!
I booked a Mountain View Suite and it was simply one of the nicest rooms we have stayed in! The staff called several times prior to my arrival regarding my preferences etc,
This is what I expect from a 5* property and I was not dissapointed.
The food in the Bar and Lounge was great and the cocktails were outstanding, (you must try a Singapore Sling) We loved the area too and the gardens are fabulous!

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and the only 2 negative points for us were 1) problems at check out, these were unecessary but the hotel was more than helpful to asisst us in sorting these out. Hats off to the Accomodation and Reservations Managers!
Also, I am a real foodie with a discerning palate, however, I did not enjoy my meal at Gordon Ramsey's I felt that the abundance of staff and over complicated menu choices were not to my, nor my partners taste. The staff were lovely, don't get me wrong, but the food was overly fussy.

All in all, we had a fabulous time, the staff were 5* and the hotel will not dissapoint!
Book a Mountain View suite and treat yourself!

As you will all probably tell from my reviews, I am quite fussy and I expect the best of everything when I stay somewhere - aside from the comments above, it was one of the nicest breaks I have ever had, go into Bray for the day to sample the local culture and food etc.

A truly luxurious hotel and amazing staff! We cant wait to go back!!

3  Thank Robert78
Write a ReviewReviews (2,658)

Reviewed April 20, 2009

We stayed in a standard room which was very large and comfortable. The bathroom was great, with a large bath and separate shower, fluffy robes and slippers. The television embedded in the bathroom mirror was kind of cool too. The bed was very comfortable and 200x200 in size. The seating needs to be improved however - there was only one armchair in the room and no sofa, although the room was easily large enough to take extra furniture. They supply four clothes hangers only between two wardrobes. Internet access is as expensive as you may expect. I was disappointed that no gesture was made to mark the birthday we were celebrating, even though when booking I was asked if we were marking a special event. I'm unclear why they ask if the information is to be ignored.

Dinner in the Sugar Loaf lobby was good - the menu is limited and concentrates on barfood type options (fish and chips, burger etc) but was well done. The wine list in the Sugar Loaf is limited , you can get the full list from the Gordon Ramsay restaurant downstairs but the prices are absolutely astronomical. Buffet breakfast was great with a wide selection of cooked items (including eggs benedict), pastries, cold meat, cheeses and fruit.

The hotel is located in the Powerscourt estate, directly opposite a golf course. The hotel grounds are small and not particularly attractive but it is certainly worth walking for 5 minutes up to Powerscourt house which has beautiful grounds (admission charge of EUR8 per adult). It would be nice if the hotel arranged an agreement with Powerscourt to allow hotel guests into the gardens without charge.

So, overall, a good stay with pleasant staff and comfortable surroundings. Not quite the attention to detail that I have found when staying in Peninsula hotels but a good choice nevertheless. Just wish they'd cut the pretence of asking about birthdays.

4  Thank smk007
Reviewed April 16, 2009

I have reviewed the RC Powerscourt before. It was very good then - with areas that could be tweaked to make the hotel perfect - well they tweaks have been tweaked and our recent two day stay was simply wonderful.

We stayed in room 246 - a magnificent 2nd floor mountain view suite with seperate kitchen, sitting room, guest WC, dressing area and spectacular bathroom. We also had a very nice covered balcony which was perfect given it rained for two days solid.

Initially we were only staying for a surprise one night but everything was so good we ended up staying a second night.......very recessionary minded indeed!

The highlights.......Breakfast is now first class. Great buffet - actually one of the best ive had - with attentive service from really nice staff that have been with the hotel since day one. The spa and pool must be quite simply the best in ireland. Service in the sugarloaf lounge has become much more refined without being stuffy - try the frito misto and a glass of champagne! Room service has tightened up considerably also - quick and professional. (Basically what you would expect from a hotel of this class but in the past the RC Powerscourt fell down somewhat in this area)

All in all we had a fantastic break and cant wait to return!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank mgbentour
Reviewed April 14, 2009

We stayed in the Ritz for my husbands birthday. We chose the Gordon Ramsey package. From start to finish we could not have been happier. The check-in staff wished my husband a Happy Birthday. We were shown to and around our wonderful suite by a very friendly guy. The room is fantastic. A marble bathroom with tv in the mirror, walk in closet, fantastic huge bed, lovely large balcony, flat screen tv mini bar etc. We did not want to even leave the room. There were complimentary chocolates and a birthday card in the room on arrival.

The pool and jacuzzi, sauna area was very nice and relaxing. The changing rooms are spotless. The only thing I thought was it would have been nice to have a couple of windows to view the wonderful scenery outdoors. The spa treatments were very expensive and as we were only staying one night, we didn't want to be confined to the spa.

Lunch in the sugarloaf was nice and staff very friendly. They would converse or leave you in peace whichever you desired. I thought it was slightly overpriced but it is the Ritz.

Dinner in Ramsays was wonderful from start to finish. At first it was a little uncomfortable as we were slightly overwhelmed by an over abundance of staff. Thankfully this settled down though. The whole experience of the meal was sublime. I would have enjoyed a bit of carbohydrate i.e. potato with my main course of sea bass and there wasn't any side orders on the menu, I didn't like to ask. However, I did not go hungry. There was the most wonderful selection of cheeses and a lengthy wine list for every budget.

After dinner we had a drink in the Irish bar however it was very quiet and we ended up just going back to the room. We didn't mind as we were full from dinner but I woud say there isn't any atmosphere, that night anyway.

We ordered room service breakfast. There is an option for every budget here too, you do not have to go for the €350 option. This arrived promptly and fresh and again more friendly staff.

All in all it was wonderful, we did not want to leave. My only grievance is that my stay was too short. I would definitely go back and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank niadan
Reviewed April 13, 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights in April and found a welcoming staff who were exemplary. Our room was upgraded to a mini-suite, without request. The country ambience was a little offset due to the loud noise of fans operating at the front of the hotel. The fan in our bathroom kept going too. We booked our stay via the internet, but could not find any reference to a charge for breakfast, so we were surprised to see an addition to our bill, of €58 per day [per room] for a buffet breakfast. At this price, we would have expected a 'cooked-to-order' breakfast - in keeping with the standard of other locations of this type in Ireland.

1  Thank xxflick
Reviewed April 11, 2009

What a Hotel! What a location!

I brought my wife here for her birthday for 2 nights and we stayed in a mountain view suite. The suite was on the top floor and was pure class, elegance at its finest! The view was amazing from the massive balcony of the beautiful mountains and surrounding area. The suite was equiped with stunning antique furniture and the latest in technology and very comfortable seating areas and a stunning bed that I am still dreaming about. The bathroom was huge with a classy built in TV in the mirror above his and hers sink. The complimentaries were BVLGARI products which included hand cream, shower gel, shampoo, soap & conditioner.

Outside of the suite that is fit for royalty the hotel itself has a great Irish Bar that has TV for sports and a massive selections of beers, wines and spirits. They also offer a great menu, I reccomend the Guiness Irish Stew, it was delicious!
Gordon Ramsays Restaurant was fab and they have a great breakfast selection each morning. The menu in the lobby was great and I highly reccomend the chocolate pudding with a chocolate and whiskey gooey centre, if you love chocolate you will fall in love with this 20,000 calorie packed chocolate pudding.

The pool was brill and the spa was good and the highlight with regards to recreation was definatley the walk around powerscourt.

I highly reccomend this hotel, It has been the nicest hotel that I have ever stayed in any where I have travelled in the world.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank johnburns
Reviewed April 5, 2009

stayed for two nights ,what a fab location ,great staff,rooms ,spa area all top class and up there with some of the best in the world .Had dinner in gordon ramsey very nice, excellent pace and very high standard, checkout very swift by ciarian a very plesant guy from wales top marks to the hotel .

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alzo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniskerry
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
#7 of 150 in Dublin
The Marker Hotel
The Marker Hotel
#2 of 150 in Dublin

Been to Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!