Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection
$150
  • Beachfront
$107
  • Beachfront
Glenview Hotel(Glen Of The Downs)
$178
$168
Orbitz.com
Rochestown Lodge Hotel & Spa(Dun Laoghaire)(Great Value!)
$140
Orbitz.com
$129
$91
  • Restaurant
Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel Dublin(Killiney)(Great Value!)
$158
$129
The Beacon(Sandyford)
$123
$106
2,788 results
All reviewssika restaurantthe ritz carltonsugar loaf loungesugarloaf mountainmountain view suitebathroom mirrorbeautiful hotelmcgills pubsugarloaf loungeirish barwalk in wardrobegordon ramsaythe river walkfive star hoteldressing roompure luxuryafternoon tea
Reviewed January 5, 2009

We first stayed at this hotel in September 2008 and enjoyed it so much we returned in December 2008 and were not disappointed. The receptionist remembered us before we even gave them our name which was lovely. Staff were super - they really went out of their way to chat to you, mountainview room was great, service was good and we really enjoyed our stay. We will be back.
One grumble - please get tea making facilities in the rooms!!

1  Thank dawn267
Reviewed January 4, 2009

Our second visit to Powerscourt and it is a lovely hotel.

We stayed for 3 nights over the New Year period and were very disappointed with the entertainment and general lack of atmosphere on New Year's Eve. The band was very poor and celebrating New Year in Ireland we were hoping for an Irish band, at least.
The price of a round of drinks was £36 (4 drinks), so we weren't even able to drown our sorrows!

We would return to the hotel as the rooms are luxurious, it is in a lovely location and the staff are very pleasant and helpful - just not at New Year.

• Stayed: December 2008
2  Thank Elaine_8
Reviewed January 3, 2009

Stunning vista, wonderful beds but the rest?

We visited the Hotel for New Years eve. Our first attempt at real luxury failed when we ordered two large Americanos and found they were not barista made and cost an astonishing €11.00 each! instead of being charged a €1.00 for an extra shot the bill was simply doubled. Interesting maths?

The interior is without doubt beautiful but the service level is still poor. I excused poor service on my first visit a few months after the hotel opened but a year later?

Shame because the Ritz Carton with its wondeful reputation could be a gem here in Ireland too.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2009

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY STAYING AT THIS HOTEL!!!!! IT IS NOT 5 STAR OR EVEN CLOSE!!!!!!!

We booked a three night stay at this hotel to celebrate our wedding anniversary just after Christmas. This is an annual trip for us and we always choose a good 5 star hotel to help us re-charge the batteries before we embark on another hectic year. We have stayed at many fine places over the last few years with the Park Hotel Killarney and Monart standing out as exceptional experiences and value for money. Unfortunately our experience at the Ritz Carlton Powerscourt fell well below our expectations.

We arrived on Sunday afternoon to a warm welcome from the bellboy who unpacked and parked our car. We were greeted at reception by a surly receptionist who couldnt even muster a little polite conversation while we checked in. The same friendly bellboy showed us to our room (A Garden View Suite) and expalined the layout and facilities of our room and the hotel. I had informed the hotel before our arrival that we were celebrating our anniversary and within 5 minutes of arriving in our room we received a beautiful plate of strwberries and cream. I really thought we were on to a winner as the setting, the room etc all seemed of a very high standard. We spent our first evening in McGills pub and ate a nice meal in the Sugarloaf Lounge.

The next morning we arrived at breakfast at 09:30am to be greeted by chaos. There was a line of approx 30 people stretching out of the restaruant. After battling our way to the front of the crowd we could see that a restaurant "manager" was sending people back to their rooms or upstairs to wait in the lobby with the promise of a call for breakfast in about 30 minutes or so. We made ourselves known and she told us to wait. After 20 minutes of standing I asked again and was told we werent on the list. After a full hour of standing and waiting around we were eventually seated at a table that was only half completed - no milk, sugar etc. The breakfast is served buffet style which is not, in my opinion, acceptable for a 5 -star hotel. This buffet was nothing remarkable and I have had similar at 3 and 4 star hotels. Breakfast the next morning was a similar affair and we were seated at a table for one which meant I had to scour the restatuant for a spare seat and move it myself and then beg for some cutlery before we could proceed with breakfast. On the third morning we got up early at 08:00 in order to avoid the stressful start to the day.

We also used the Spa at the hotel for massages during our stay I called the Spa before we went for our treatments and was told in no uncertain terms that we MUST wear our robes from the room to the Spa - this means walking through reception past other guests and gawkers to get to the Spa - a little embarrasing. We found a posh middle aged receptionist extremely rude on arrival at the Spa. We arrived an hour before our treatments as requested and were made to feel like we were freeloaders who were hijacking the facilities!! At €200 per treatment I would have expected to be able to stay all day. The massages and therapists were excellent and the facilities good - even though male and female facilities (whirlpool, sauna, steam room etc) are all seperate.

On our third day at the hotel we approached reception to enquire about internet facilities to be told that we could buy a card for 15 minutes access for €5 - no free wifi in this hotel - unbelievable. I spoke to the manager and informed that our one our wait for breakfast on morning one would no doubt amply cover the cost of 15 minutes internet usage. He apologised profusely for the delay at breafast the following morning and told me we would not be charged for our breakfast on check out. I also informed reception that the electronic controls for lights and curtains in our room was broken - they promised to send an "engineer" to the room as soon as possible to fix the problem - nobody ever came to fix the problem.

On our last night in the hotel we went out for dinner to Johnnie Fox's pub which is about 20 minutes drive away. We had an exceptional meal here for under €100. On our return to our room at 11:30 we were disgusted to find our bed had been turned down with mud across the top of the duvet. My wife was enraged with this but we were so tired that we decided it could take the hotel up to 24 hours to even respond to such a problem that we had better just put up and shut up. We took off the dirty duvet and slept under a sheet for the night.

On checking out we were - surprise, surprise - charged for breakfast. When I informed the receptionist that we had been told this would not happen he said that he did not have the authority to remove the charge from the bill and asked if I wanted to speak to the manager. At this stage I had argued with so many people since my arrival at the hotel that I decided to not do it again. I told the receptionist that I had so many problems during our stay that I would prefer to write a letter and asked for the address -- the receptionist didnt have this.

The cost of our stay including meals, drinks etc was €1,800 and I feel like we were totally ripped off. The service here is not of a 5 -star standard and the hotel has a lot to learn from establishments such as the Park in Killarney. Do NOT waste your money here - it is not worth it. I am going to write to the manager of the hotel but, similar to other complaints made during our stay, do not expect a response.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Kilmore1974
Reviewed January 2, 2009

This year for a treat I spent New Year's Eve at The Ritz Carlton in Powerscourt with my boyfriend. The hotel as you would imagine is incredible and really has the wow factor.
We booked the Gordon Ramsay package and upgraded to a Mountain View Suite and we were not disappointed. The suite was absolutely amazing and made the night really special. As you can see from some of the pictures on this site all rooms are extremely spacious, however, I never expected the suite to be as nice as it was. Along with a large bedroom and separate dining area, was a large kitchen, 2 bathrooms (the larger one with a tv in the mirror which was a very nice touch), a walk-in wardrobe and a double terrace over looking the Sugar Loaf. The view itself is spectacular and it was lovely to sit out and enjoy a drink before dinner.
The Gordon Ramsay restaurant is very nice although I was extremely disappointed with the set menu on New Year’s Eve as it was not to my taste. Part of the enjoyment for me is choosing my own courses, however, saying that the settling was lovely. Having viewed the usual menu I am looking forward to going back. Be careful when choosing the wine as it is hugely expensive. We chose one of the cheaper red wines at €57 a bottle and I was happy to notice quite a few tables had the same so we did not feel bad. You could pay anything up to €4000 a bottle and that is definitely out of our range! Service in the restaurant that evening was not at its best, I would imagine this comes from the restaurant not getting the expected numbers throughout the year. We had expected more from the service in a restaurant of this calibre. It seems with a full restaurant even on a set menu the kitchen couldn’t handle the numbers and we were waiting quite some time between courses. I heard one of the waiters’ apologizing to another table about the wait as they ‘were under pressure’.
Overall I had a wonderful night and the hotel is definitely a setting for a romantic getaway. I was disappointed in the atmosphere for New Year’s Eve. There was a band playing in The Sugar Loaf Lounge doing their best to get things going however the singer seemed to be having an off night as he wasn’t quite in tune with the rest of the band. It was quite funny though. I think for the prices the hotel is charging they need to be making more effort for special nights such as these. My advice would be to stay on an average week/weekend and you will not be disappointed.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank AngelaCorrigan