“Great spa area. Lovely surroundings.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection

Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Enniskerry
Ireland
“Great spa area. Lovely surroundings.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2008

Style. Grand, corniced ceilings, brass & glass, old fashioned style to American tastes.

SPA: Very nice indeed. Very contemporary.

Staff: friendly, helpful, efficient throughout.

Children: Very restricted use of the pool but staff will oblige if the area is not too busy

Dinner. Ate in the lounge. Adults meals were nice. Children’s meals were bland, service: Very good.

Gordon Ramsey restaurant – didn’t try it. Since he has never cooked there and I read somewhere that the (current) chef did not train under him I cant see the point. Just a name surely?.

Breakfast: good quality but a standard cooked breakfast all the same. Self service down to the toast. I preferred to be served at the table. No other menu optioned on offer. Ironic how a humble B&B offers a better breakfast service than many of these 5 star places.

The building: Beautiful to behold.
The surrounding area: Gorgeous Hilly Woodland.

Price of food & drinks: OK for 5 star
Price of accommodation: At time of writing they’re adjusted downwards thanks to the recession but still well over €200 (that’s the attainable limit I try to keep to out of season) on a quiet night.

Haggle-ability: Fairly stiff. No budging on the cheapest price. No complimentary plonk. Yes to comp. upgrade subject to availability.

Ambience: Quiet as with most top of the range hotels.

Freebies: some smoothies and buns for the kids. Free Valet Parking. Alas no complimentary newspaper.

Gadgets: TV in the bathroom mirror plus remote control lights.. Air con, etc all worked perfectly.

Improvements: Live music, eg piano player perhaps.

Worth the 5 stars: Of course..

Stayed October 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
  • Polish first
Cumbria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2008

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton Powerscourt for a relative's wedding. We only stayed one night but from the initial greeting at the door, staff were friendly, helpful and available.

We had a lovely room, probably one of the best hotel rooms I have ever stayed in, and our wedding meal was just superb. The whole ambience was just right.

We enjoyed the continental breakfast next morning while overlooking the lovely Wicklow Hills. The Continental breakfast was a bit pricey but we looked on it as a one-off experience and enjoyed it very much. Only one slight moan about that was the fact that they did not bring you a pot of tea or coffee and you constantly had to harrass the waitress to top you up.

The actual grounds of the hotel are OK but the gardens at nearby Powerscourt are superb.

There are a number of gadgets in the hotel room which basically someone of senior years is probably not interested in, and our radio in the bathroom managed to start itself in the middle of the night, a point noted by a previous guest in the review section. So they obviously have not got that one sorted out.

Apart from that I could not fault the hotel. It is rather large however, and as a disabled guest I did have a few problems finding the way out into the grounds, but eventually we did it via a number of lifts and out through the gym!

So an enjoyable visit and a great place for a wedding reception.

• Liked — hotel bedrooms
  • Disliked — size of hotel - too big
1 Thank CumbriaSef
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2008

We just returned yesterday after purchasing the "Ramsay Experience" which I thought was pricey but it was for a special occasion, however after experiencing the prices in the hotel, the one night B & B and Ramsay restaurant package isn't bad.

This hotel provides proper & expected 5* service which is so hard to find nowadays. Like others, we were met on arrival, our car was taken from us and parked, the reception staff are exceptionally friendly, especially Elizabeth. The package includes upgrade to a suite which was beautiful, oppulent style with modern touches and extremely large. Tea/Coffee facilities were definitely missing, we had no slippers in our rooms, it was provided immediately upon calling housekeeping. We travelled with another couple and even they too had to ring housekeeping, none of us could find the hairdryer so we weren't alone. For anyone else, stand at the bathroom sink and look right and left in the mirror. I was expecting a jacuzzi in the bath but sadly none - perhaps its for higher graded rooms only.
We came down to try afternoon tea which disappointingly and annoyingly was booked out. We had this in the Penninsula in Hong Kong recently which is famous and a tourist attraction. Non-residents had to queue and residents were taken immediately. I was extremely annoyed that residents were not catered for perhaps in another room. The waitress went to no end of trouble and length!! to explain how specially prepared this tea is (which considering they couldn't accommodate us, I wasn't really interested). Upon booking, the hotel should inform guests that this needs to be booked in advance. But that's my only gripe.

We went for the 6 course tasting menu in Ramsays which can only be utilised if everyone at your table chooses. Normal price is 90 per person. It was extremely good (won't say mind blowing) and an experience well worth trying. The wine is very experience like previous report said - about 50 quid a bottle. The staff in Ramsays are exceptional, excellent 5* star service.

The breakfast buffet was excellent but for this calibre of hotel, I would expect a breakfast menu, not a buffet.

I would agree with another poster, their lunch/drink facilities are extremely small. As the lounge was taken up with afternoon tea, and the bar area is very small and uninspiring beside it, the only other option was for us to go down to McGills Irish Pub. I didn't come to this callibre of hotel to sit in a dark yet authentic Irish pub. We were looking for something light or a sandwich but this was our only option. Two sandwiches, fish/chips, hamburger and 4 alcoholic drinks came to 101 euro - considering the surroundings, it was a ridiculous price but we'd only arrived, were tired and hungry and didn't want to order room service. Here we were with exquisite scenery stuck in this place - not good.

All in all, the staff were exception, the food was extremely good, yes the prices are high but a thoroughly memorable experience and yes I would go back and recommend it.

• Liked — Bedrooms , Service & Food
  • Disliked — Poor lunch facilities & a dark Irish Pub or uninspiring lobby bar
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Danielle2home
Portmarnock
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2008

I am giving the hotel 1 star because of the experience my wife and I had in it's over priced and over rated restaurant, plus the pub in the hotel.

I can't say enough about the staff and the hotel itself. I really enjoyed the stay as a whole but I cannot get over the restaurant and pub.

#1 The pub-

Far too small for a hotel of this size - we were like sardines in the place due to a wedding and a conference. It seats roughly 40 people in a massive hotel (ridiculous).

#2 The restaurant-

I was really looking forward to this meal. I am a big fan of Gordon Ramsay on the tv and wanted to see if this restaurant could "walk the walk" so to speak. My wife's starter (Veal) was the size of a chicken mc nugget ,which was beautifully presented for the princely sum of nearly €30. My starter was the lobster ravioli which if you offered it to me free I would now decline, again approx €30. Main courses were again very very average. I paid nearly €50 for an ok fillet steak. How can you go wrong with a steak!!! The wine list was a joke with the cheapest €46, we choose one for €55 as I liked that particular wine.

All in all the meal came to €200 not including dessert- they weren't getting anymore of our money.

I enjoy a nice meal and am in no way a philistine in these matters, I just cannot get over people who would regularly pay over €200 for such a poor meal. I sat there waiting all evening for a revolution, or someone just to say how ridiculous the food vs price was. In the end we laughed it off, we now know how the other half eat, how disappointing for them.

As I said earlier the hotel itself is great and I would return (breakfast exceptional) but I would never set foot in the restaurant again.

I would say one thing to any visitors contemplating coming to Dublin in the future.

We live in Portmarnock and regularly go out for nice meals in the area. If you are in the Skerries area (North County Dublin), you need to visit the "Stoop your Head" restaurant there. I can honestly say we have eaten there on many occasions and have yet to experience anything less than a fantastic meal. Gordon Ramsay hang your head in shame.

• Liked — Hotel room
  • Disliked — Restaurant
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank BarryGPortmarnock
California, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2008

We were first met by the valet, who greeted us with a warm welcome, as he opened the front doors for us. From this point on, everyone seemed happy to greet us and were more than willing to go the extra step. We were escorted to, and given a tour of, our room. My husband and I were immediately drawn to the fantastic view from our private balcony! The bed looked just as comfortable as it proved to be. The pool was amazing. When you are laying on one of the cusioned lounge chairs, and you look at the pool from that angle, it appears as if you are looking at the night sky with the stars shining brightly (the crystal lights). The main reason we booked this hotel was because of Gordon Ramsey's restaurant. The food was just as supurb as we expected it to be. It was such a surprise when we were given a tour of the kitchen and an autographed photo of Chef Ramsey! This really made our stay such an event. The next morning we awoke to fantastic eggs benedict and coffee. When we checked out, we were greeted in that same kind manner that we were met with, the night before. It was a great stay and we will go again, if we find our way back to Ireland someday

• Liked — The view and the food
1 Thank ShanaMichele
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2008

We stayed in the Ritz for two nights in early August. This was our second time staying at the hotel - our first time was at a wedding soon after it opened - and were delighted to see that all of the early teething problems we had experienced appeared to have been ironed out (in particular check in and check out).

This meant that we could really enjoy the stay. The hotel itself is pretty incredible. The guest rooms are very big and have everything from incredibly comfy beds to a flat screen TV in the loo! The common areas are also perfectly finished, especially the lounge (highly recommend the afternoon tea!) and the swimming pool area. One strange thing is that not all the lifts go to every floor, but it doesnt take long to work this out.

We ate one night in Ramsey's - top quality - and another in Enniskerry village. The coffee shop in Powerscourt House, just a stroll from the hotel, is a great spot for lunch, while the gardens in the house are well worth a look.

Staff were very attentive, but without being annoyingly so!

All in all a very enjoyable, relaxing stay.

RP

Stayed August 2008
2 Thank RPMan
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2008

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton Powerscourt for the last three nights of a ten day trip to Ireland. It's truly a lovely property and the service is mostly what you'd expect from a Ritz Carlton.
Check-in was fast and efficient and friendly, but unlike most RC's where I've stayed, no one greeted us at our car when we arrived. No big deal, just different than usual RC treatment.
Our room was large and very nicely decorated. The bathroom is the typical marble RC bath, large and with yummy-smelling Bulgari amenities. Love the RC bathrobes as well. The dressing room between the bathroom and bedroom area was bigger than most, and the closets are stocked with the necessities, iron, shoe shine kit, safe, umbrella, etc. The king-sized bed, which I've always found to be true at RC's, was heavenly.
I was disappointed that, unlike the 5 previous hotels or B&B's we stayed during this trip, there was no in-room coffee and tea service. Strange for any room in Ireland. The mini-bar is fully stocked of course.
The room has digital touch screen controls for curtains, lights and climate, and our A/C wasn't working when we arrived. However, we called the desk and someone was in the room checking on it within 20 miniutes. It happened again our the third day but was corrected quickly again. That's one of the quirks we encountered. The other was that on our first night there, the water pressure for cold began to sputter and brown water came out! Ew. We were told by the desk that "that sometimes happens in Ireland" and to let it run for 5 minutes and it would stop, which it did, but it was still kind of gross.
Dinner at Gordon Ramsey's was elegant and delicious. The service was impeccable and the courses were perfectly timed. The sommelier was very knowledgeable and made perfect pairings for our meals.
Dinner, lunch and breakfast at Sugarloaf Lounge were good as well. Breakfast was a buffet (not sure if that was weekend only) and had everything one could wish for in a buffet. You definitely need reservations there on weekends for dinner, even if staying at the hotel. We saw several people get turned away. The view is just lovely with the mountains in the distance.
ESPA, the spa, is fabulous and I recommend a massage with Racquel.
The concierge was very helpful with maps, suggestions and a few historical nuggets and stories.
There is no little shop in this RC in case you need any extras. We had to go into Bray (15 min drive) to get a disposable camera when we used up all the memory cards we brought with ours.
Overall, a great way to end our wonderful excursion to Ireland. I hope they get the A/C issue and water problems taken care of, which are likely a result of it being a new building. We'll be back.

• Liked — Comfortable room, great views
  • Disliked — A/C and water issues
3 Thank kellyonthego905
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniskerry
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,692 reviews
Glenview Hotel
Glenview Hotel
#1 of 1 in Glen Of The Downs

Been to Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!