“Nice place to relax”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Enniskerry
Prague, Czech Republic
“Nice place to relax”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

I was staying in this hotel for 2 days due to business meeting. It's little bit far from Dublin airport to reach this hotel. It takes about 40-50 minutes to reach this hotel by taxi and I was paying about 100 EUR to get there (return way was just 75EUR).

Reaching hotel it was really positive surprise. Large building in very nice area, good service and great looking suite with own fireplace. Hotel is convenient for business meetings but also I could imagine to spend here short holidays. There is nice nature around, gardens, golf court, ideal place to make trips around and typical Irish village not faraway. It's definitely nice place to relax.

Having not car I was spending all time in hotel area and hotel was the only place to eat. Cuisine is excellent and not really expensive for this type of hotel.

True is that if I would not get information in front desk that this hotel is part of Ritz Carlton chain. I've seen the logo only twice during this stay (last time on the invoice).

I would be looking forward to come next time for weekend stays to explore more its area around.

Room Tip: corner suite with own fire place, bedroom, 2 restrooms is better standard than regular room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Martin P
David W, General Manager at Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear Martin P,

Many thanks for taking the time to write this lovely review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future for a nice relaxing stay, when you can enjoy more of what the Estate and local area has to offer.

Warm Regards,
David Webster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (580)
  • Polish first
Reviewed March 27, 2014

The Powerscourt Hotel is a very nice hotel and we would definitely stay there again. However, I do feel the hotel is misrepresented as a “Five Star” Hotel. This hotel is no longer a Ritz Carlton and as someone who frequents Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons and other top hotels this one is lacking in several areas.

First let me discuss the good points. The hotel is in an incredibly beautiful part of Ireland only a short distance from Dublin. The hotel is fairly new, only 8 years and the hotel and rooms are very well appointed. We were staying during offseason and were offered an upgrade to a suite at a very reasonable price. This was nice, since we were traveling with our 9-year-old daughter. The views from our room were incredible, the bed was comfortable, there was nice functional technology and the best part was the FREE wifi throughout the entire hotel with easy access, no passwords, etc.

Now, for the reason I would not categorize this hotel as a “Five Star.” Clearly, there have been cuts to the staff. There was a short but tolerable wait at check-in. There was only one bell hop and no other door man. This may not seem like an issue and it is not, as long as you are not expecting “Five Star” service.

We had a few issues with our room, that I’ve not experienced at a Ritz or Four Seasons. First, the trash in our powder bath did not get emptied for two days. It seems like even though the hotel was not near capacity, the house keeping staff couldn’t keep up. This was also evidenced with the fact our Kleenex did not get replaced for two days during our stay.

However, the most serious concern that affected my rating has to do with how the property was maintained. Remember, this hotel is only 8 years old there were several things that surprised me. The lawn chess set, sound like a nice idea but several of the pieces are missing. Also, there was a broken lawn chair next to the lawn chess that remained for the entire stay. If it is broken, have someone throw it away, because it is an eye sore. There were also, several places where paint was pealing from the ceiling (see photos). These are minor items, but again, not items acceptable at this caliber of hotel.

We will gladly return the Powerscourt Hotel, but I think it is important for people to understand what they are getting when they travel hear. It is a very nice 3 star, maybe 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: Mountain View rooms are very nice.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank gwinternetman
Moira, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2014

It was a significant anniversary so we decided to celebrate it staying at Powerscourt. 'Hmmm', I thought, "mixed reviews on Tripadvisor" but we decided to see for ourselves. Well, it is a wonderful building in a beautiful environment but that's not the whole story, is it? Initially as we walked in, we were greeted immediately and reception service was efficient. Then we had a little orientation chat about what's where in the hotel from the guy who took our bags up for us. So far so good. Then we discovered the reason for the chat - no information whatsoever in the room either about the hotel (not even meal times!) or about the surrounding area. Very strange, we thought. We had to ask subsequently at reception and were then given a small map of the estate primarily aimed at joggers. The room was lovely: very large with separate dressing area and a gorgeous bathroom, with lovely view to Sugar Loaf mountain. Why, in a double room of great proportions would there be only one easy chair though? We'd both like to sit comfortably please, not fight over who gets the chair and who gets to sit on the footstool or the bed, or at the desk! Others have commented on the lighting which is truly dire: the fortunate person who bags the easy chair may get to read with the aid of the adjacent standard lamp. Otherwise, forget it - and there are no lights to facilitate reading in bed. It's all very well for poor Paul to have to keep saying sorry, but it wears thin -why aren't customers listened to and something DONE on the basis of their feedback? Service was variable: some requests actioned immediately, some not until a further call was made to reception. The most disappointing aspect of our stay was dinner which we had on our first night in the hotel. From a very limited, unexciting menu I had a starter of goat's cheese, beetroot etc followed by duck breast. Why, I wondered was there not a good selection of the fine local ingredients featuring on the menu? The goat's cheese starter looked like a mess on a plate: too much goat's cheese (and I love it!), too little beetroot and appallingly badly presented. My duck breast or, rather two slices of duck breast, was not cooked properly. I wanted my meat pink, but the chef clearly did not know how to achieve this and to cook out the fat on the breast at the same time. Elementary for any decent chef, and completely unacceptable in this situation. The fat was practically raw and inedible, and the portion was ridiculous. My partner fared a little better with a quail starter and beef main course. The saving grace of the meal was down to our choice of wine - a bottle of Paper Road Pinot Noir (try it at home for far less than the €44 it cost here!) - but we agreed that this was a third rate meal and poor value for money. Such a pity, because we would gladly have eaten in the hotel again had our experience been good. As it was, Emilia's in Enniskerry (see my review), was the winner. Now there's a postscript: on arrival home, my daughter rang me to say that she had phoned the hotel from England three times before our visit to arrange for a bottle of champagne to be put in our room as part of our celebration. On each occasion she was told 'somebody will get back to you'. They never did. How poor is that? NOT 5* methinks! Oh, and there was a card in our room congratulating us on our engagement - that was some time ago! So to sum it all up: gorgeous hotel; beautiful setting; splendid spa; variable service and awful food. On balance, yes we'd stay here again but, no, we would not eat in the hotel despite the fact they had the good grace not to charge us for the execrable duck. Marriott need to get a grip on this place before it loses any reputation it once had - and please get Gordon back to sort out the kitchen nightmare!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Siriusue
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

Like the heading. Only for the beautiful room we would have bailed out I think. Hubby booked as a treat away as I am pregnant and have been ill. We arrived early to get some lunch and make the most of our night away. However lunch was less than average. Very uninterested waitress, dirty glasses and medicore prawn cocktail ans steak sandwich. Very disappointing. But we were so excited at the thought of our evening meal in the restaurant ww scrapped it off. But dinner was just as disappointing. The fillet steak was well done as opposed to medium and no real taste. The waiter was very pleasant but with the hype about this restaurant we were underwhelmed. Also I am sorry but a buffet breakfast where you have to queue in a line for eggs is not acceptable for me in a 5 star hotel.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dawnywawny
Paul H, Assistant Front of House Manager at Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Dear Dawnywawny,
Thank you for your review, I am glad to see you were able to enjoy the room you received during g your stay however I do apologise for the issues experienced while dining in the hotel. If you wish to share your feedback in more details directly with us please contact me directly at paul.hand@powerscourthotel.com and I will ensure your feedback is passed on directly to our Food & Beverage and Culinary management teams.

Dublin
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I recently stayed in the Powerscourt Hotel in Enniskerry with my family for an overnight break.
From the moment we arrived we received the warmest of welcomes from Robbie the Head Concierge who could not have done more for us during our short stay.

The hotel itself is stunning, and you will struggle to find better in all of Ireland, but for me its the quality of service, the friendliness and genuine hospitality we received from the staff that we encountered, which made our stay such a memorable experience.

I have to highlight two very memorable experiences my Children will not forget. The first was Robbie arranged a golf buggy for us to tour the estate. He also supplied blankets to ensure we did not get cold. This was really lovely and an incredible way to explore the estate and I highly recommend the River Walk.

Second, Dara the Director of Food & Beverage arranged a visit to the Pastry Kitchen where my young Son got to taste some of the delicious chocolate treats the Pastry Chef was working on. Most kids love to cook and for him to see a real pastry Kitchen in action was a wonderful experience.

We were so well looked after and its clear that the team under General Manager David Websters leadership are doing an outstanding job, and I wish them every success in the future.

Did I forget we had the most amazing breakfast on Sunday morning on the outdoor terrace in the blazing Sun on a March morning in Ireland overlooking the Sugar Loaf Mountain, now that really capped a wonderful 24 hours.

Thank you Robbie, Dara, David and all the Team at the Powerscourt Hotel.

We look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ConradDublin
Dear ConradDublin,

Thank you for such a kind and comprehensive review. We are so glad to see we were able to exceed your expectations on your recent visit and you got to enjoy all the hotel and Powerscourt Estate have to offer. I will ensure that your kind comments are passed on to Robbie, Dara, David and all the team here at the hotel.
We do hope to welcome you and your family back again soon.

Navan, Ireland
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We stayed 6wks after the birth of our second baby and I can truly say it was perfect from start to finish, we have stayed in hotels all over the world, Dubai possibly being the best but this has to be on par with the service, food and ambience. On check in we where upgraded to a superior room and it was fab. Staff could not do enough for us. So I would seriously recommend this hotel to anyone and is close enough to Dublin for a tourist, hop on the bus and the hotel will happily pick you up in the hotel jeep! We had dinner in the village and we where dropped down and picked up within 5 mins of call. So if you want luxury this is the place to be. Regards , A very happy new mommy !

Room Tip: No need to worry the reservation staff will look after that
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cait27
Dear cait27,
Thank you for your review, we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your child free relaxing break with us. I am sure other reviewers will find your tips on our local area helpful when planning their visit to Powerscourt.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

From the moment we walked in, we felt like we were walking into a small family run hotel. The staff are so friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. We arrived looking to switch off for two nights and relax. The hotel was very busy but we still felt like we had our own space to enjoy and relax!! I highly recommend sitting down by the fire in the evening and enjoy an excellent guinness. That is if you can drag yourself away from the comfort of the room!! Make sure to go for a walk, try the spa (stress-buster recommended) and eat in Sika or just lock yourself in your room. Two nights was never enough

Room Tip: A view of the sugar loaf is fantastic to wake up too
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gordonwdarcy
Dear Gordonwdarcy,

Thank you for such a kind review, we are delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Paul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniskerry
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel
Glenview Hotel
Glenview Hotel
#1 of 1 in Glen Of The Downs

Been to Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!