“Only for the room! Food was v disappointing” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection

Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Enniskerry
Kilkenny, Ireland
“Only for the room! Food was v disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

Like the heading. Only for the beautiful room we would have bailed out I think. Hubby booked as a treat away as I am pregnant and have been ill. We arrived early to get some lunch and make the most of our night away. However lunch was less than average. Very uninterested waitress, dirty glasses and medicore prawn cocktail ans steak sandwich. Very disappointing. But we were so excited at the thought of our evening meal in the restaurant ww scrapped it off. But dinner was just as disappointing. The fillet steak was well done as opposed to medium and no real taste. The waiter was very pleasant but with the hype about this restaurant we were underwhelmed. Also I am sorry but a buffet breakfast where you have to queue in a line for eggs is not acceptable for me in a 5 star hotel.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dawnywawny
Paul H, Assistant Front of House Manager at Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Dear Dawnywawny,
Thank you for your review, I am glad to see you were able to enjoy the room you received during g your stay however I do apologise for the issues experienced while dining in the hotel. If you wish to share your feedback in more details directly with us please contact me directly at paul.hand@powerscourthotel.com and I will ensure your feedback is passed on directly to our Food & Beverage and Culinary management teams.

Paul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
  • Polish first
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

I recently stayed in the Powerscourt Hotel in Enniskerry with my family for an overnight break.
From the moment we arrived we received the warmest of welcomes from Robbie the Head Concierge who could not have done more for us during our short stay.

The hotel itself is stunning, and you will struggle to find better in all of Ireland, but for me its the quality of service, the friendliness and genuine hospitality we received from the staff that we encountered, which made our stay such a memorable experience.

I have to highlight two very memorable experiences my Children will not forget. The first was Robbie arranged a golf buggy for us to tour the estate. He also supplied blankets to ensure we did not get cold. This was really lovely and an incredible way to explore the estate and I highly recommend the River Walk.

Second, Dara the Director of Food & Beverage arranged a visit to the Pastry Kitchen where my young Son got to taste some of the delicious chocolate treats the Pastry Chef was working on. Most kids love to cook and for him to see a real pastry Kitchen in action was a wonderful experience.

We were so well looked after and its clear that the team under General Manager David Websters leadership are doing an outstanding job, and I wish them every success in the future.

Did I forget we had the most amazing breakfast on Sunday morning on the outdoor terrace in the blazing Sun on a March morning in Ireland overlooking the Sugar Loaf Mountain, now that really capped a wonderful 24 hours.

Thank you Robbie, Dara, David and all the Team at the Powerscourt Hotel.

We look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ConradDublin
Dear ConradDublin,

Thank you for such a kind and comprehensive review. We are so glad to see we were able to exceed your expectations on your recent visit and you got to enjoy all the hotel and Powerscourt Estate have to offer. I will ensure that your kind comments are passed on to Robbie, Dara, David and all the team here at the hotel.
We do hope to welcome you and your family back again soon.

Navan, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

We stayed 6wks after the birth of our second baby and I can truly say it was perfect from start to finish, we have stayed in hotels all over the world, Dubai possibly being the best but this has to be on par with the service, food and ambience. On check in we where upgraded to a superior room and it was fab. Staff could not do enough for us. So I would seriously recommend this hotel to anyone and is close enough to Dublin for a tourist, hop on the bus and the hotel will happily pick you up in the hotel jeep! We had dinner in the village and we where dropped down and picked up within 5 mins of call. So if you want luxury this is the place to be. Regards , A very happy new mommy !

Room Tip: No need to worry the reservation staff will look after that
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cait27
Dear cait27,
Thank you for your review, we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your child free relaxing break with us. I am sure other reviewers will find your tips on our local area helpful when planning their visit to Powerscourt.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

From the moment we walked in, we felt like we were walking into a small family run hotel. The staff are so friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. We arrived looking to switch off for two nights and relax. The hotel was very busy but we still felt like we had our own space to enjoy and relax!! I highly recommend sitting down by the fire in the evening and enjoy an excellent guinness. That is if you can drag yourself away from the comfort of the room!! Make sure to go for a walk, try the spa (stress-buster recommended) and eat in Sika or just lock yourself in your room. Two nights was never enough

Room Tip: A view of the sugar loaf is fantastic to wake up too
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gordonwdarcy
Dear Gordonwdarcy,

Thank you for such a kind review, we are delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

My mum and I always try to come here for a girly weekend at least once a year. Its the perfect place to relax. Staff are very helpful and the scenery and atmosphere are perfect to unwind with. To anyone who needs a break, this is the place!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ClaireMSB
Dear ClaireMSB,

Thank you for your review, I am glad to hear both you and your mum continue to enjoy your annual visits and look forward to welcoming you back for many years to come.

Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

Myself and my girlfriend decided to stay here again (we visited 3 years ago) if anything the hotel has improved from our last wonderful stay. The grounds and surroundings are breathtaking, the rooms are luxurious and the service could not be faulted, they were friendly and attentive at every step but without being over bearing. My girlfriend loved the spa in particular, and has demanded a return visit! Basically we both felt very special and had an amazing two days. Thank you powers court!

2 Thank R0b_Mcd
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

As a lover of fancy hotels this was my first stay in Powerscourt. Overall I was just a little disappointed. The ESPA is fabulous and most definitely 5 star however everything else was a let down. Our first night away from our children in many years we booked a suite, the one we got looked out onto the wall of the carpark (€310pn!). We felt all the time under a compliment to some staff, for arranging us our room before 3pm (2pm) it was as if they were doing us a great deed, for 'fitting us' into their restaurant that only had 4 tables full at the time they managed to 'fit' us in. The chocolate bar in the room which cost €5 was best before 30Aug2013! This was on 21Mar2014!!!! Part of our experience was genuinely nice however lacking the little things that make you feel at home. No water in the rooms, no turndown service. A little deflated and out of pocket! Will run back to The Europe or lower grade hotels that provide a better experience.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear GCos13,
Thank you for your review, I am sorry to hear you were not fully satisfied with your recent stay with us. I will ensure that the issued raised are reviewed by our Housekeeping team. I am glad that you enjoyed your time in ESPA and would hope to welcome you back again soon.

Paul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniskerry
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
InterContinental Dublin
#19 of 153 in Dublin
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,757 reviews
The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel

Been to Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!