“No broomstick required - A Magic Hideaway only 30 mins from Dublin!”

Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Enniskerry
Dublin
“No broomstick required - A Magic Hideaway only 30 mins from Dublin!”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We were part of a large extended family group, staying at The Powerscourt Hotel to celebrate a significant birthday. Although I had been to the hotel and its spa on previous occasions, I had forgotten how beautiful the long tree-lined avenue to the hotel appears and as you descend down the last curved section of the avenue to where the sunken Palladian style entrance awaits your arrival, you can feel your cares slip away, like a jacket falling from your shoulders. In the front portico, we surrendered our car complete with luggage and checked in with a minimum of fuss. It was at that point I realised that I had forgotten to book any spa treatments in advance and as it was Valentines weekend, I assumed (correctly) that I would not have the opportunity to be pummelled or "facial-ed" back to wellbeing. Oh well, note to self and other guests ... best to book these things well in advance! The reception, and Sugar Loaf lounge (with stunning views of the Sugar Loaf - surprise surprise!) are located on the fourth level (front entrance) with bedrooms descending down on lower levels, as well as the Silk restaurant and McGills pub (see separate review). Our room, which was palatial, featured a large bedroom, a sitting room, very large walk-in closet and equally impressive bathroom with separate bath and walk-in shower cabinet with waterfall shower. Our view to the rear garden from the windows was very zen like and we immediately relaxed. Perhaps due to the AC system in the hotel, or perhaps due to the large size of our room, we struggled a bit to find a comfortable room temperature but overall it was fine. A TV embedded into the wall in the bathroom made a Saturday afternoon soak feel very luxurious, after a number of hours enjoyably spent at the nearby Powerscourt House & Gardens. We enjoyed a window-side table in the Sugar Loaf lounge on our first morning for breakfast - the buffet selection was excellent and the menu offered some additional dishes "cooked to order". I hummed and haw-ed about whether to have the porridge in the buffet but opted to have it, with a little maple syrup and cream poured over - it was one of the best hotel porridges I have ever had (on Saturday but not quite as good on Sunday!). Another winner on the breakfast menu is the patisserie selection, all made in the hotel ... miniature scones, pains au chocolat, Danish pastries, to name a few! A small disappointment on Sunday morning for breakfast when Eggs Benedict arrived without any hollandaise sauce - for me, this dish is a treat that I have when on a special weekend away so while the eggs were perfectly poached, it was just eggs on bacon and a bun. A blip in an otherwise excellent morning offering. We dined on Saturday evening in Silk restaurant at the hotel and it delivered on food and service to the standard you would expect at this hotel (separate review). All in all, despite the fact that the hotel was operating to full tilt, as it was a busy Valentine's weekend, the staff were consistently professional and welcoming. Standards are very high and while a little upholstery wear is becoming evident in places around the hotel, I would happily spend many more nights in this magical place.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank AnneOD
Paul H, Assistant Front of House Manager at Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear AnneOD,

Thank you for your review, I am glad to see you and your family enjoyed your stay for the birthday celebration. I will ensure that our culinary team are aware of the error wit your egg order, thank you for letting us know.
We do hope to welcome you and your family back again soon.

Paul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
  • Polish first
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We needed a little lift, something to get us away for a bit ( just from Dublin )...... What a beautiful place !..... Our two children had such a good time. I can't compliment the staff enough, so helpful, so friendly. I have stayed at the best hotels through work over the years, this is the best I have ever stayed in, & in my own back yard. Everything from the rooms, to the meals to the pool, to the general ambience is top class.The scenery is stunning, not to mention all the nearby attractions, Enniskerry Village (incl Mac's Pub, great grub), the Sally Gap, and the general Powerscourt Estate, Golf, Gardens & Waterfall. What an experience, I'll Be Back ! Blown away !!! MickC, Drumcondra, Dublin City.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Mick C
Dear Mick C,

Thank you for your review. I am so glad to hear you were able to join us and get away from it all!

Co.Meath
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Stayed here for my Big Birthday celebrations with 5 friends 2 weeks ago & just returned from a family break yesterday so cant get enough of the place!
Gorgeous hotel very luxurious & relaxing, the bedrooms have the wow factor they even have in-built tv screen in the bathroom mirror so you can watch your fave programme from the comfort of your bath!
The pool is dark & very relaxing (go outside of childrens hours for optium relaxation!!) large jacuzzi & relaxing background music & flickers of candles everywhere is what I love so really relaxing & so warm also a nice hammam area with large steam room, showers & icecold bucket plunge or whatever its called! The laconium was too cold though think it should be turned up a bit as it feels like its off!
Breakfast was great service was brilliant didnt have to wait for anything very nice selection & hot food like eggs benedict, omelettes, pancakes, waffles etc etc available on request loved the little glasses of granola!
We didnt eat in the hotel but got a complimentary bus down the road to enniskerry village where we had booked Emilias Italian restaurant but unfortunately the service & food werent great there so 2nd time around we went to the enniskerry hotel & the food was gorgeous!
Johnnie Fox's pub not far from here & well worth a visit for the atmosphere alone & all the memorbilia a real old Irish pub you will love it.
Bray is only down the road & Greystones was lovely to go to walk on the beach & have a coffee in one of many coffee shops, Dun Laoghaire only 20 mins away with many nice eateries.
Powerscourt & gardens with Avoca is only next door hire bikes from the hotel & cycle or a quck stroll will have you there in minutes!
This hotel is amazing with staff that go above & beyond to make it special for you.
I'm sure with the change over it hasnt been easy for them but believe me this hotel is still top class Ritz Carlton in my eyes & prices have been reduced to reflect the name change even though it hasnt changed at all!
A big thank you to Veronica in Reservations who was very helpful & professional & to the cheery friendly foreign guy who came to collect us in the jeep from Enniskerry cant think of your name but all the girls loved you! All the staff we encountered were fabulous thanks sooo much & see you again soon!

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely
2 Thank charlieCo.Meath
Dear charlieCo.Meath,

Thank you for such a positive & comprehensive review, I am so glad to hear you enjoyed both your stays with us, and I am sure other visitors will be able to take your wonderfully local suggestions on board for their time with us. I will be sure to pass your thanks on to Veronica in reservations and our guest services team.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I was first time in this hotel and my opinion is the best place on the spent lovely weekend there, Staff is verry helpful, i must say big thank you, rooms fantastic keep high standard ,hope so come back soon again

2 Thank 87MEG
Dear 87MEG, Thank you for your kind review. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I know this hotel very very well as we have been a regulars here for hotel stays and dining on many occasions over the years. Hence I would say I am a pretty good judge of this place.

Recently I booked a table to mark the birthday of a parent. Unfortunately the experience was not good. I found the sugar loaf lounge was cramped, extra tables added meaning little space, chairs/tables not comfortable and of poor quality. Presentation of food and quality poor, crockery etc very basic... just very disappointing all round. They also have a water dispenser on the floor which makes the dining experience feel like you are having breakfast in a motel in Times Square! Obviously they are adding tables to get people in which is not working in my opinion. All our party left disappointed.

I have always seen the Ritz(formally) as a "go to" hotel for some classic and upscale dining and getaways, not anymore. The day we were there we noticed many guests in tracksuits, runners etc, not what it used to be. I have no issue with this attire but the Ritz previously offered something a bit more upscale for a Sunday lunch/special occasion. Sadly the ritz brands exit is very evident for those who know the hotel so well.

Time to move on as this is not good enough anymore.

Paddy.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Paddy C
Paul H, Assistant Front of House Manager at Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Paddy C,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to here you did not enjoy your recent dining experience here at the hotel. If you wish to discuss these issues with us directly please contact our Director of Food & Beverage directly at dara.cruise@powerscourthotel.com

Best Wishes.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We stayed herre on Feb 8th/9th 2014. We went for our friends birthday and got upgraded to fab suites. The staff are exceptional and couldnt have done enough for us. The food was delicous and the spa was out of this world. The girls in the spa were brilliant and gave fantastic treatments.
I would recommend it to anyone.

1 Thank MccarthyF
Dear MccarthyF,

Thank you for such a kind review, I am so glad to here you enjoyed the birthday celebration with us and hope to welcome you back again for the next celebration.

Sandyford, Dublin 18
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I worked here when the Hotel first opened and thought what better way to spend my Birthday celebrations than in a bit of luxury. To summarise - I wasn't disappointed!

Myself and 4 friends booked a weekend here - our reservation was seamless.

From the moment we walked in to the Hotel, we felt like Royalty - a bellboy intercepted to take our bags - check in was friendly and efficient - we were both upgraded to fabulous Garden View Suites (definitely work the extra few pennies) - the rooms facilities explained in great detail etc...

The Hotel is still as opulent as I remember even since the new takeover.

The Breakfast Buffet in The SugarLoaf Lounge was delicious but the highlight of our trip had to be the Spa...we had booked a Spa Day Package including treatments, use of the Thermal Suites and lunch - an absolute bargain!

Katie at the Spa Reception couldn't have been more welcoming with Dan (my therapist) giving me one of the best Massage & Facial Combo's I've ever had.

Big shout out to Stephen (Front Desk Team) for our tour of the Presidential Suite and Robert (Chief Concierge) / Kellie Ann (Spa Manager) for making our stay so memorable - we'll definitely be back!

2 Thank LisaDoyle
Dear LisaDoyle,

It was great to have you back with us as a guest! Thank you for your excellent review, I am glad you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us. I will ensure Stephen, Robbie and Kellie Ann are made aware of your great review.
We do hope to see you again soon.

Paul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniskerry
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel
Glenview Hotel
Glenview Hotel
#1 of 1 in Glen Of The Downs

Been to Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!