“Fantastic Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Enniskerry
Newtownards
“Fantastic Hotel”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for two nights with my wife and two children for a weekend break at the start of February 2014.
The hotel and the surroundings are magnificent. The staff were extremely helpful and the room was spotless. The price for food and drink in the hotel is naturally high (approx €25 per person for breakfast and €50-€60 per person for an evening meal), but the hotel offers complimentry transport into the small nearby village of Enniskerry where there are a few good reasonably priced restaurants. On our way to the hotel on the Friday evening we stopped at the Powerscourt Arms Hotel for something to eat and we all liked it so much we ate there four times and at Emilias Italian Restaurtant once.
The Sugar Loaf Lounge in the hotel is very relaxing and you could quite easily spend a few hours in the Espa pool and spa area. The pool only allows children in between 9 - 12 and 3 - 6pm, but if you time this right it works very well.
The Powerscourt gardens are beautiful and the Waterfall is something to see, although you'll have to drive to see it. It cost us €16 for a family pass.
Overall we thoroughly enjoyed the weekend break and we would go definately go back to the hotel to celebrate a special occasion. It made for a terriffic base to explore the Wicklow area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank jn_mccormick
Paul H, Assistant Front of House Manager at Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear jn_mccormick,

Thank you for your kind review, I am glad to see you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon.

Paul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
  • Polish first
Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Very reasonable prices, rooms done to an extremely high standard, staff were very polite and welcoming. Our stay was memorable and the spa was the best I have ever been to with the pool, sauna, hot tub and a nice shower afterwards. I recommend this hotel if staying in Ireland.

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Brendanmurph
Paul H, Assistant Front of House Manager at Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Dear Brendanmurph,
Thank you for your excellent review. I am so glad to see you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to welcome you back again soon.
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I don't even know how to sum up my seven day stay at Powerscourt, just thinking about it takes me back to such a relaxing, beautiful, and pleasant first visit to Ireland. From the moment we checked in we were greeted by the most pleasant staff I've ever encountered at any hotel. They really go out of their way to make you feel at home, and ensure you have everything you need.

We stayed in a suite which I found to be spacious and inviting. I loved the heated marble floor in the bathroom! The pub and restaurants served such good food, and again, every one of the staff we encountered were wonderful. They even drive you to the nearby village if you're looking for something other than what's on-site.

The setting for this hotel was perfect for me. I was drawn to Ireland because of its landscape and I my expectations were exceeded. This hotel is set on beautiful well maintained grounds that invite you to walk and take in the scenery. Only a short distance from the sea-side town of Bray, and 20 minutes outside of Dublin, you still feel like you are in the heart of the country while staying accessible to city conveniences. I highly recommend that if you find yourself at this hotel that you go to Bray and do the Cliff Walk. It was breathtaking!

Maybe it's an Ireland thing, but I really liked how the hotel does not nickel and dime you for important conveniences like WiFi. We'd much rather spend the money on a few extra pints at the pub downstairs. ;)

And the thing we loved the most was the spa. The gym is spacious and well equipped, with a nice view for your workout. The pool looks exactly as it's depicted on their website. It's so serene, and peaceful down there with the music and the crystal lit pool. The absolute best thing was the Hannam Suite; a hot steam room. We tried to get as much time in at the spa as possible, going at least twice daily. The staff in the Spa were so nice.

As wonderful as everyone was at the hotel, I have to give a special word for Pip who works in the spa. When we told her about our interest in walking around the countryside, she not only told us of great places to go, she looked up all the information about the locations online, and sent it all to our room with a lovely note. Her recommendations were perfect, and it really added a great touch to our trip.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Dublin. Worth every penny, and more.

If I can make two suggestions to the hotel that we thought would add to the experience:
1. Add lit signs for the hotel from Enniskery Road. Until we got the hang of it, we passed it quite a few times since it's on that sharp corner. We noticed many others turning around at the same gate just past the hotel because they too had missed it.
2. Please, please, keep the pool and Hannam Suite open later. Often times coming back from our excursions, we would have loved to relax at the spa before bed.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sam9000
Dear Sam9000,

Thank you for your review and the tips for fellow visitors. I am glad to see you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you for your suggestion on the pool opening times and signage, we will take these on board.
I will also ensure your comments are passed onto Pip.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

We planned a family vacation through a groupon and didn't know what to expect. We were jetlagged and stressed after experiencing the european driving for the first time when we got to the hotel. It was such a wonderful greeting! The staff was delightful, very helpful, and accommodating. We went to our suites which were amazing! SO much room, very luxurious, and perfect for us! I used the concierge every morning to plan our day and they were most helpful and even printed our driving directions and restaurants to eat at. The breakfast at the hotel was top-notch and we enjoyed it all 6 days of our stay. The staff was helpful and always accommodated us with such professionalism. From check-in to check-out it was a joy to stay here. Thank you!

2 Thank KatefromFL
Dear KatefromFL,

Thank you for your kind review, I am glad to see you enjoyed our Suites and Breakfast so much. I hope you enjoyed your first European vacation, except the driving.
We do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I stumbled upon an air/hotel/car package on the Internet and thought this luxury hotel could not live up to its former Ritz-Carlton reputation. I've never been so glad to be wrong! I decided to make a lifelong dream come true for my daughter who graduated college in December, so we scheduled the trip in late January. Flying from New York (JFK) into Dublin at 5 AM and then having our first European driving experience in the early darkness was stressful, but our first view of the majestic Powerscourt Estate was an eye-opener! Valets Peter and Stephen were especially kind during our 6 days, as were front-desk clerks Ruth and Monica. We expected their professionalism; we never expected the extreme graciousness and kindness we were shown! It was a pleasure every day to interact with them and with Ross Keating from McGill's, who was a breath of fresh air as well. Our suite was more spacious and comfortable than we had hoped, and the bathroom was AMAZING! We had impressive meals from McGill's and the Sugar Loaf Lounge and were blessed to also enjoy meals in the nearby village of Enniskerry (Poppie's, Emilia's, Kingfisher's and Mac's Bar were all wonderful). From our base at the hotel, we drove an easy 2 hours to the west coast, 2 hours to Northern Ireland, less distance south to Glendalough/Wicklow National Park and just 10-15 minutes east to the Bray/Greystones area on the Irish sea, where we were able to catch the DART train into the Dublin City Centre for a day of stress-free sightseeing. We will never forget this beautiful country and scenery, but mostly we will never forget some of the most genuinely friendly people on the planet! I can only hope that we can afford to return one day with the rest of my family! What a terrific experience!

3 Thank kchurch777
Dear kchurch777,

Thank you for such a king review, I am so glad to see that we have exceeded your expectations. It is excellent that you got to enjoy all that the estate and Enniskerry have to offer. Lastly, thank you for kind comments about Peter, Stephen, Ruth, Monica and Ross.
We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 4, 2014

What a place, what a spa and what wonderful staff.

I have attended the spa twice in the last month and haven't had one negative thought throughout both trips or since. on the second occassion there was a mix up with bookings but Kerry Anne couldn't have been more accomodating. On the day we saw some really nice touches from birthday gifts to patrons to complimentary prosecco through lunch.

it will be a monthly visit for us for sure.

1 Thank ains2512
Dear ains2512,

Thank you for such a kind review of ESPA at Powerscourt Hotel. I am glad to see the reservation issue was resolved quickly for you and look forward to seeing you all on your monthly visits.

Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

I had the pleasure of an overnight stay here at the weekend...it was all I expected and more.
From the friendly staff to the gorgeously appointed suite we had.
We ate in the fabulous restaurant and the most delicious meal, and had Pavel and Josef entertain and inform us.
The only shame was we had only 1 night.
If you are looking for a plush, relaxing and exquisite hotel break..look no further than here . You wont be disappointed...

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bedqueen
Dear Bedqueen,

Thank you for your lovely review. I am so glad to see you enjoyed your time with us and especially your evening meal. I will ensure that Pavel and Josef are aware of your nice comments.
Paul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniskerry
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel
Glenview Hotel
Glenview Hotel
#1 of 1 in Glen Of The Downs

Been to Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!