Had the pleasure of staying here in mid-August on a 2 night special package which was, or sounded like, good value. Although we are generally very positive people, we were overall extremely unimpressed with this hotel. My sense is that, on balance, the negative reviews on tripadvisor give a better sense of what to expect – which is a very nice hotel with many problems.
1. The hotel is physically very beautiful.
2. The hotel is in a quiet and relatively secluded area. Nice for walks.Make sure to visit the House (no entry fee) and gardens (8 euro per person).
3. The surrounding countryside is some of the nicest in Ireland and the concierge service will help you plan a route. Ask for the route through the sally-gap to Glendalough. Scary roads, but if you take it slow it is no trouble.
4. Restaurant Gordon Ramsay is a jewel. Great service, amazing food. Expensive but great value. You will pay as much in many far inferior restaurants in Ireland.
5. Nice welcome gift of strawberries and three fresh roses on day 1 turndown. Very nice.
1. We had a pretty bad experience with one of the three TVs turning on in the middle of the night – a little disconcerting to be suddenly awoken in this way. Absolutely unacceptable that this problem continues (per other reviews below).
2. No water / hot water: On day two we went to take a shower around 11 am to find that our room had no water (shower, bath, sink, toilet). I called and was told the hotel has a water problem and it would be fixed asap. Came back that evening around 6. We had water. Great. Time for bath before dinner. But we had no hot water. Called down to reception, spoke with Elizabelth who was very apologetic and assured us that hot water would be back in around 90 minutes. So we had to go to dinner without having washed all day.
Two points here: You expect water in any hotel, especially a 5 star. The true measure of a hotel is when things go wrong: why did I always have to contact reception to find out what was happening? I would have expected some kind of warning. Secondly, paying over 500 euro for a two night stay you expect to be able to sleep without a TV going off in the night and you expect water. If you don’t get it you expect some gesture form the hotel beyond a ‘sorry.’ We got nothing. A complimentary drink at dinner would have been nice or a look at the bill on check-out. Things go wrong, that is fine: you expect the response however to be professional and appropriate. It is not at this Ritz-Carlton.
3. Suites are poorly designed. Space is good but the location of the TV, for example, is crazy. You can’t easily watch TV sitting in the seated area or from bed. Absolutely crazy. Small point.
4. The hotel seemed to be relatively empty when we visited which was nice. Breakfast was still a disaster. On Wednesday morning at 9.30 we had to wait 15 minutes for a seat. That is absolutely crazy, especially as the hotel seemed otherwise quiet. I can’t imagine what it takes to get a seat on the weekends! Not that it is worth waiting 15 minutes for – the food is overcooked and cold! You really expect more than a bad buffet from this brand-name. Even the coffee was cold!
In summary, a lovely new hotel in need of a complete shake-up. In terms of non-physical aspects, this property is a complete embarrassment to the reputation of the Ritz-Carlton Group and needs some serious intervention by corporate HQ.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection offers outstanding luxury among 5-star hotels in Wicklow, Ireland. We are set amidst one of the most scenic and historic estates in the country, providing travellers with a a 200-room resort showcasing Palladian-style architecture and giving guests a host of amenities. At our hotel nestled in the hills of Enniskerry, 30 minutes from Dublin, you will find a spa, Powerscourt Golf Club, on-site restaurant and perfect accommodations offering easy access to rustic Enniskerry and all of County Wicklow. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Marriott, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Ritz-Carlton Powerscourt, County Wicklow Hotel Enniskerry
- Ritz Carlton Enniskerry
- Ritz Carlton Hotel Enniskerry
- Ritz Enniskerry
- Enniskerry Ritz-Carlton
- Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection Ireland/Enniskerry, County Wicklow