I really don't know where to start and that is a first !! There are a few plusses and a few irritations to say the least.
Receptionist was not the best, we got our room card (no offer to help with our bags) proceeded upstairs to it where we were greeted by house keeping. We went downstairs again where the receptionist gave us the correct cards for our suite. Apologising for her mistake, finally she remembered to ask did we want help with our bags. This should have been dealth with immediately when we first arrived not just because she made a mess of our room allocation.
I was blown away by the fantastic scenic location, impressive building and furniture, amazing suite (it was massive and very well presented), heavenly bed, beautiful bvulgari toiletries, heated bathroom floor and fantastic spa. Also the fact that they delivered handmade chocolates to our room for my birthday was a nice touch.
There were no magazines in the room, I enquired at reception and some were sent up.
No tea making facilities which is an annoyance in this type of establishment, I know you expect to be fleeced here but for god's sake, is a complimentary cup of tea to much to ask? I was extremely disappointed with the breakfast (dried rashers, cheap sausages and pudding, horrible tea), the only saving grace at breakfast was the amount of fresh fruit available which was nice, the muffins, selection of yogurts and the smoked salmon. Breakfast staff were not the best.
I found them inhospitable with the exception of one young irish girl. (blonde middle aged woman barked at us for our room number at breakfast, which we gave and she still took down the wrong number. she obviously loves her job! :) )
Dinner in ramseys I have to say was a bit of disaster. Starter was plesant (scallops)as was the beautiful dessert (a cheese cake with amaretti), however the main course left an extremely long hair in my mouth. (NOTE avoid the hairy halibut dish!) I sent it back immediately and did not sample any further main course.
The staff were I felt were lacking in genuine hospitatility skills (unlike in the upstairs sugar loaf lounge whom were a joy). They just seemed to buzz around and not really listen to you. The service was haphazard to say the least.
Head to the sugar loaf lounge for some interesting food, pear and walnut salad, a tasty concoction.
The staff were very friendly and at last, a decent cup of tea (made with tea leaves).
The spa I have to mention was fabulous as were the treatments. Excellent staff especially a blonde girl (I think her name was Kathy). Be sure to avail of the back, face and shoulder massage with volcanic stones. It was unbelievable.
For the price this hotel is charging I feel the experience should have been near perfect. I have stayed in numerous 5 * establishments that deserve their 5 *'s. I feel sadly this is not one of them due to service in certain areas. Teething problems still aplenty!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Outstanding among luxury five star hotels in Ireland and set amidst one of the most scenic and historic estates in the country is Powerscourt Hotel, a 194-room resort showcasing Palladian-style architecture and offering guests a host of amenities. Recently named AA Hotel of the Year, two championship golf courses, a 30,000-square foot luxury spa by ESPA, a signature restaurant and traditional Irish pub are among this luxury hotel’s distinctive attractions. Powerscourt Hotel Resort & Spa's Palladian design forms a majestic crescent on the side of one of Ireland's most celebrated valleys. The layout of the seven-storey hotel gives a lot of our rooms and suites views of the remarkable Sugar Loaf Mountain. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Marriott, Agoda, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, getaroom.com, Hotwire, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Ritz-Carlton Powerscourt, County Wicklow Hotel Enniskerry
- Ritz Carlton Enniskerry
- Ritz Carlton Hotel Enniskerry
- Ritz Enniskerry
- Enniskerry Ritz-Carlton
- Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection Ireland/Enniskerry, County Wicklow