“One of the most beautiful hotels”

Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Enniskerry
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The hotel, though far away from Dublin airport, was perfectly remote. It was located in an area perfect for outdoor activities especially for walking and jogging. The spa services were open to everyone and I can say it is one of the best-equipped hotel spas I have ever seen. The restaurants there also offered world-class cuisine and the staff was almost perfect. This really is a truly memorable hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank yacineawt

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed at the hotel in May. Beautiful location and hotel. I wasn't crazy about the architecture on the outside, but the inside was gorgeous. Beautiful flowers in the lobby area. We had a suite that overlooked the back of the property. The suite was incredible. Very large with full kitchen, one and a half baths, living room, dining area, bedroom, huge dressing area with 4 closets, bath with tub, huge walk in shower, two vanities, even a bidet in the water closet. And everything was operated from a little electronic panel on the wall. Huge terrace that you could reach from living room and bedroom. Perfect!
We ate in Enniskerry one evening and at the pub in the hotel the other evening. Pub was very good, casual food. Our only issue was one morning we went to the dining area on the lobby level to order breakfast. We only wanted coffee and bagels, but were told by the server that we had to order the whole buffet. So we left. We were later told that we didn't have to order the buffet, so not sure which was the correct answer. However, when we checked out, we were charged for the buffet, but it was immediately taken off the bill when I explained that we did not have breakfast there and why. Parking was very convenient. The staff was okay, but I would not say over friendly, except for the pub. Very nice and attentive.
We would go back, although I have heard that this will not be a Ritz property for much longer. Again, I'm not sure if that info is correct. So, if you do want a Ritz, check before you go.
One last thing, we drove from the hotel to Glendalough, the ruins of a monastic settlement. Beautiful and a must see.

Room Tip: Back side of the hotel for the view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Absolutely loved this hotel. Beautiful hotel, beautiful location, friendly staff. Hotel facilities are first class and lovely food. Would definitely stay here again. We ate in McGuills bar and were so happy that we hadn't ordered starters as the main courses were hugh. The buffet breakfast the next morning was fabulous. We ate on the balcony outside as the weather was lovely and could have stayed there all day. Bring your walking shoes and get out and enjoy the beautiful surroundings.

1  Thank suzWex
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We started our tour of Ireland here after reading about a rate for the hotel with dinner and breakfast at the Gordon Ramsay restaraunt in the hotel. The hotel is within walking distance of The Powerscourt House and and Gardens as well as the quaint town of Enniskerry. The hotel is not only set in a gorgeous place but the staff and facility are what you would expect from a Ritz Carlton hotel. They even had a great pub called McGills. There is a lovely waterfall 5 miles away and a lovely hike along the river.

Room Tip: Get a mountain view suite.
1  Thank Malachy F
Reviewed July 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights at the end of our Ireland trip. It's a beautiful building set on expansive grounds and located out in the country about a 30 minute drive from Dublin Airport. The staff were absolutely wonderful. I emailed with a question in advance of our arrival and received a prompt reply from the Concierge. Check in was very prompt and we were given a lovely upgraded suite with a beautiful view over the grounds.

Breakfast in the restaurant was great. Lots of variety and good food. There is a pub on site where we had dinner both nights. Good food and drinks.

All staff were friendly, interested in helping us as needed and seemed genuinely happy to be there. Interesting in light of the fact that the hotel had just been sold and the new owners had announced changes including dropping the Ritz Carlton flag in favor of Marriott Autograph Collection. I think though that they did announce that all jobs would be retained which might account for the happiness (or relief) level of the employees.

The only nit I will pick with the hotel is that there did seem to be a bit of deferred maintenance visible around the grounds. Hopefully the new owners will address this although I must admit that it is a huge task given how expansive the property is.

All in all a great visit. Wouldn't hesitate to return.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

greeted by a very pleasant consierge who offered to carry our bags too a trolley. Good start. We were checked in as I had a Visa debit card I was informed they would charge me €415 not the €265 I had expected to pay, why? Just incase I wanted to charge to my room (a bit rich I think not very 5*) the child friendly check in was a quick hello to my son ?? Why promote this if you don't automatically do this? We were shown to the lifts and room which was the nicest thing about the hotel the room was spacious and the bathroom was nice, there was no need for all the electronic gadgets, the air con didn't go low enough the room was warm at night. €5 for a Coke =rip off. The spa facilities are extremely poor. There are plenty of extremely expensive treatments but I did not feel encouraged to try any as we were greeted in such a rude manner on arrival for a swim at 4pm, a male staff member abruptly informed us that children should be out at 6 and did we know it was 4pm??? Child friendly??? Depends on who meets you as I saw another family being given a tour of the area before they swam. So after a swim i look for the rest of the sp to be informed if one does not have a treament one has only access to the pool and steam area, which is very average just a pool(no views! the hotel is in the Garden of Ireland why did they not have views or outdoor pool area, the pool area was at a cool temperature, the whirl pool/jaccuzi only worked every 15 min or so and on one side only when it did go on it was too gentle, the staff spent most of their time ensuring others did not allow children in it, the shower in the pool broken, the steam room which was fair, nothing special. We were told there is a sauna but one must have a treatment to use it. We observed an employee who removed dirty towels from the chairs but this only happens once, but did not change the wet covers. Not a standard of a 5 star hotel
The dinner was ok the Gordon R place had a party on so that was a no go area. The sweets at the end of the dinner were the best thing about the hotel they were to die for. As I did not spend all the money taken from my card I was told at check out it was being refunded that was yesterday I'm still waiting for the refund to go back into my account.

Overall
Staff ok a bit ott but in general ok
Room lovely and big I liked it
Balcony big with view
Spa was a big disappointment
Food ok
Too expensive
Drinks ridiculous prices
No water in rooms your told to use the tap or pay €5 a bottle come on this is supposed to be 5* I expect still and sparkling water
Breakfast not great queuing undercooked sausages not a great selection, a long wait for eggs, glasses etc this must be improved
I felt like it was a hotel with so much potential but needs a fresh approach, change your prices and fix your spa and make a thermal suite for all guests.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank kj041
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We chose this hotel over the Renaissance in downtown Dublin because the price and even though we had to drive a bit from Dublin airport, it was worth it! I do have little complaints though.

The parking was almost full, for such a big hotel, they should have more parking space.

The man who checked us in was really nice, he asked us where we were from and coincidentally, he spoke our language! He upgraded us to a suite, since we're gold members of Marriott. We went to lunch at the Sugar Loaf Lounge, which was really nice and they had good food.

The room was outstanding, with the electronic systems to switch the lights on/off, close/open the curtains, and we could even watch television in the bathroom!

We had dinner in the pub, which was not the best unfortunately. The food was okay, but the table was sticky and the waiters did not come to us at first and they were also not very nice, they seemed bored. (I don't know if that's normal).

Breakfast buffet was good! There were many choices and they were really quick with the eggs I asked to be made to order.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniskerry
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
#2 of 150 in Dublin
The Westbury
The Westbury
#7 of 150 in Dublin

Been to Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!