“Wonderful hotel, rooms, staff”

Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Enniskerry
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
“Wonderful hotel, rooms, staff”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Our six night stay in a suite facing Sugarloaf Mountain was outstanding. The entire staff was so helpful and friendly making our visit all the more special. Enjoyed the spa, Sugarloaf Restaurant, Gordon Ramseys. Everything was as nice as it could be. Was hard to leave.
Thanks for a great welcome to Ireland. Always enjoyed to returning to our countryside retreat after a day of sightseeing

Room Tip: The view of the mountain and fountain is soothing.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Aaker34

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (602)
  • Polish first
Bann, Germany
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Our family of four (2 adults and 2 children ages 8 and 10) had a beautiful weekend at the Ritz. The pub was our children's favorite, with delicious fish and chips and a dessert menu that kept us coming back for more. Our room was very roomy- it had a living area and a closet are that could easily have been another bedroom. The bathroom was heavenly. Breakfast was beautiful ranging from made to order eggs in any style (eggs' benedict/florentine, etc.), made to order pancakes/waffles/french toast- all excellent. Smoked salmon with a variety of mustards and local sausages were a plus. The gym was very well stocked with a Concept 2 rower as well as a rack for barbell lifting as well as free weights and a separate room for stretching. The hotel's spa looked very enticing, and although we did not use the spa facilities since we were on the go to the nearby sites- it looked like it was a vacation in and of itself. The hotel's location is close to Glendalough, Avoca, and the Powercourt Castle. The concierge service was excellent- he provided us with maps, printed out directions and background information on the nearby sights given our time in the area. The hotel is fabulous whether you never leave the hotel or as a base to visit the local sights. We are big fans. The fresh chocolate chip cookies as a welcome present in our room were a sure hit and will keep us coming back for more.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MiamiBeachCris
Chicago
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Seriously. If you want to be pampered so much that you forget you're a person, this is your place. Spot on. Everything is done for you, which can be nice. The rooms are "state of the art"-- everything's controlled by touch screen. The beds are all feather beds. The bathroom was gorgeous and also "state of the art"-- there was a TV in the mirror and phone next to the toilet. But there was a nice bath and a rainforest shower (with a detachable, regular shower head too).

It's a 5-minute amble from the Powerscourt House and Gardens. There are 2 golf courses, I believe. The concierge was super helpful-- and a little bit more human. My only complaint was that the concierge wasn't available until 9.

I will add that this place felt very, very American. I still can't decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I mean, if that's what you want --an Americanized oasis as a home-base for little day trips around the Irish countryside-- then perfect. It just felt a little odd to me. Like, I couldn't blink without 4 waiters setting upon me to be helpful. (Someone just showed up midway through the evening at our door to offer us water.) It is also quite stiff and formal, but everyone is eager to help.

The view was absolutely gorgeous! The amenities were great. The food options were great; we loved afternoon tea in the Sugarloaf Lounge with the beautiful view and the Gordon Ramsey Restaurant. The Continental Breakfast was also awesome-- parfaits in martini glasses, selections of poached fruits, scones, cheeses and cold cuts along with the fixings for an Irish breakfast, if that's what you're in to. The spa/pool/hammam looked amazing although I wasn't there long enough to try them out.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Allie W
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Really enjoyed our stay at the Ritz. The staff are extremely helpful, the surroundings are lovely and the food is amazing. Particularly enjoyed our taster menu at the Gordon Ramsay restaurant the waiters here are particularly good at their job. It is expensive but better stay one night somewhere so good than two nights elsewhere that fails to meet expectations.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank racheld25
ireland
Reviewed April 29, 2013

If you like this review and find the information or photos helpful, do please click the “Found It Helpful” link as I tried to find out and show what I would want to see and know about in a review.
Feel free to ask me any questions about your stay.
At last, I’ve finally found a 5 star, American style, Vegas type hotel in Ireland. And what a find!
I had a choice of staying at the Four Seasons or the Merrion but plumped for the Ritz-Carlton at Enniskerry as I’d been wanting to try this hotel for a long time.
You drive through the picturesque but cramped Enniskerry village and then into the Powerscourt Estate, but instead of driving to the main house, you take a left into the hotel grounds.
When we went, the hotel seemed to be only half-full, or half-empty depending on your viewpoint. There were plenty of parking spaces available but if they are full, there is also an underground car park.
This is the first hotel that I’ve seen outside Vegas that has a large canopy outside the main entrance at the driveway. The lobby is large and beautiful. Andrew at check-in was very nice and polite and professional. I had requested a very quiet suite and he said that they had made sure of this and also given us the best suite available. I had booked a Classic Suite for €270 room only, or €300 with breakfast for 2. We were then walked up to your suite by a Polish? Chap, who told us about the hotel and showed us the room. I like when hotels do this as you can view the room and tell them if you hate it or not. It’s a mark of a good hotel if you are walked to your room. After he had explained all the features and options, he was gone, no hanging about for a tip. How refreshing!
There are plenty of classic suites available throughout the hotel; in fact, probably the majority of rooms on both wings are classic suites. But this one was a bit better than usual in that first of all, it was at the very end of the wing, the end of the corridor, which was a bonus for peace and quiet (which I yearn for and will pay a premium for). The room also had a lovely view of the mountains and had a large terrace with chairs, a table and sun loungers. It’s a rarity to be able to use sun loungers in Ireland, but it’s good to have the option.
I had wondered what size the suite would be on booking as some hotels can stick a table and chairs in the room and call it a suite but this was huge! Possibly the biggest suite I’ve ever stayed in and it was certainly the best. For €300, you could be stuck in a small, dated room even in 5 star hotels, and much worse in 4 star and lower, but this suite was luxurious, sumptuous and stunning. A long hallway in the room ensured quiet and that any corridor noise would not be heard. The FIRST bathroom was here, all beautiful grey marble with silver finishings and a wonderful heated floor.
Then we were into the sitting room with a large 32” flat screen TV, a large coffee table with very comfortable chairs and a large sofa. Then we were into the dining area with a beautiful dining table that seated four people on gorgeous, gold finished chairs underneath a sumptuous chandelier. Then it was into the separate bedroom area. Through sliding doors, the bed was huge and very comfortable. In the bedroom, was the second, main bathroom. Again, in beautiful marble, with his n hers sinks, a large bath and separate shower and toilets. Both bathrooms were fabulous, so my wife could have the big one to herself and I had the other one. Perfect. There was also even a separate changing room with absolute loads of wardrobe space and drawer space. If you were staying for a while and had lots of clothes, this suite was perfect for you as I doubt you’d be able to fill all the space that has been provided for you. There was also a second flat screen TV in the bedroom and a third TV in the bathroom, built into the mirror! What luxury! This is how they do things in the best hotels in Vegas and it’s something that has been missing in Ireland, until now.
There is a fridge I the room doubling as a mini bar. Prices are usually mini bar prices but not extortionate. Alternatively, bring your own supplies and put them in the fridge, it’s yours for the duration. I knew the hotel was a Pepsi establishment, so we brought lots of Diet Coke and a bottle of Bolly. There was a kettle and tea and coffee sachets.
With such a beautiful dining table yearning to be used, we ordered room service and the chap served us at the table. This is the life! The choice on the room service menu was quite limited and was the same menu as the Sugar Loaf restaurant with a few more sandwich choices added. I feel that the menu should be updated and this did let the hotel down a bit. We both had fish n chips which actually wasn’t great. Over-battered finish and seemingly refried chips let the hotel down big style. Revamp this menu and get it up to the standard as everything else!
Earlier, at lunch time we dined in the Sugar Loaf restaurant and ordered afternoon tea, and though a bit pricey at €35 each, we thought it was worth every penny and that it was probably the best afternoon tea we’ve had anywhere! The cake stand arrived with tandoori chicken wraps which were delicious, salmon and prawn and roe on brown bread, roast beef with horseradish on beautifully soft brioche buns and a gorgeous egg mayonnaise sandwich with layers of cucumber on top which had been arranged and sliced to look like a slice of cake. Stunning.
Small but perfectly sized plain and fruit scones with a selection of jams (apricot, strawberry, raspberry and marmalade), butter and cream. The scones were so beautiful with the butter that I didn’t even bother with the cream, they were that good! After you’ve had all that, the dessert chariot is wheeled over and you get to choose two cakes each from the selection. I had a lemon meringue pie and a strawberry cheesecake, both excellent and my wife had a mango and passion fruit cake and a chocolate and blackberry macaron. Everything was top class. We took our time, read the papers, enjoyed our tea and took about two hours over it and no-one was in any rush to move us. The staff were excellent and Peter, who looked after us refreshed our tea pots regularly, more than he had to and nothing was too much trouble for him. In fact, what made this hotel and any hotel worthy of 5 stars is the quality of the staff and the service. Everyone who passed us smiled and greeted us and was extremely helpful and that’s not something we’ve experienced in Ireland before. This was the service that you get in Monaco or Vegas! So bravo to all the staff here.
The breakfast room service menu didn’t seem great and most of the selection were actually drinks, so we got up at 9am and went down to the Gordon Ramsay restaurant to see if the breakfast was any good. I didn’t have high hopes as I think I must have read negative reviews, but the breakfast was excellent. Again, possibly the best breakfast selection we’ve had! See my photos for the selection available. As we went in, we were warmly greeted and shown to our table. The chap who was serving, Alberto, was excellent. Very helpful and smiley and you could see that he took a pride in his job and this man could get a job in any hotel anywhere. There were juices and fresh fruits including my favourites, fresh pineapple and watermelon, no tinned fruit cocktail here! Yoghurts, fresh fruit, cereals, boiled eggs, nuts, breakfast martinis of compote, yoghurt, toasted oats and berries, more types of Danish pastries than I’ve ever seen, breads, toasts, scones, hams, meats and cheeses and all the usual cooked stuff…sausages, bacon, puddings, scrambled eggs, mushrooms, potatoes. You can also request the chef of whatever eggs you want and there’s another menu full of options that you pay extra for…waffles, pancakes, etc… My wife had pancakes and bacon and maple syrup, all delicious! Come down early if you want to dine in the Gordon Ramsay restaurant as many people were turned away. The same breakfast fare is available in the Sugar Loaf lounge above, but it’s nice to have tried both restaurants.
Check-out was easy and it was the same very courteous Andrew who checked us in and out (and who also enrolled me in the Ritz-Carlton awards scheme). So, the hotel was absolutely out of this world. The staff were fantastic. It was absolutely value for money. The food was overall, excellent. We stated for one night, I wish we could have stayed longer and we will definitely be back sooner rather than later.
Little bits I missed out…there were ample toiletries, lots of space in the bathrooms, pay per view movies, delicious cocktails in the lobby with nibbles, ice machine rooms (a la Vegas), walking trails, lcd control panels for the curtains, air con and lights throughout the suite, 5 panels by my count and even a handsome desk.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank cartagia
Dublin
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Pros:
Beautiful location - plenty to do in the area in close proximity to the hotel
Splendid hotel - although in parts perhaps a bit "cruise ship" for me..thats just my taste though
Spa is beautiful - ESPA products - therapist one of the best i have had - excellent massage
Swimming Pool - go here when its quite to appreciate how amazing it looks
We had a Mountain View Suite - very spacious
Lots of activities nearby - make sure to visit Enniskerry Glendalough etc
Staff very nice, not too overpowering, apart from the Bellboy who put his hand out for a tip !:D
We were happy with the value and got a free upgrade which was great- I love when hotels do that
Cons
Did not like the view of the trees behind the hotel. Looks like they just got a forklift and levelled a big section. It needs to be landscaped/graduated better to improve its looks.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Unravel
Mullica Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

This is our last night in Ireland. We upgraded to a mountain view suite and this is a 10/10. Free wifi, complimentary shuttle to and from town from the Ritz. What can I say??? I can't say enough about this place. I am absolutely floored on how nice the hotel is. Perfect!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank johnny5ski
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniskerry
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
#6 of 151 in Dublin
Glenview Hotel
Glenview Hotel
#1 of 1 in Glen Of The Downs

Been to Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!