“A MUST....”

Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Enniskerry
Reviewed April 6, 2013

OMG, what a venue and what a wonderful luxury hotel. Please do yourself a favor and STAY here. You will not regret it. Excellent value, a SIX star hotel (only 2 six star hotels in the WORLD)--
I will return, and I will bring all my friends and family here. Go to the Gordon Ramsay restaurant in the hotel. We had two rooms for our family of 4. They upgraded us and gave us suites! So worth it....

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 2010canucks2011
Write a ReviewReviews (2,657)

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Our group of 4 ladies recently visiting the Ritz on a groupon deal March 2013. The hotel and ground itself is absolutely beautiful. The room was spacious, clean, and the beds were absolutely comfortable. The housekeeping staff were attentive. However, it was pointed out three times to our group when asking for directions or tourist information, that we were a groupon group. Why???? The front desk was not very helpful and I agree with some of the other reviews, that we were not treated the same as other people who were paying full price. Also, we went to the pool which was spectacular every night. However,while there, we observed a male employee who removed dirty towels from the chairs, but did not change the wet covers, but just straightened them...Moist towels equal bacteria...Not a standard of a 5 star hotel. In addition, the ladies at the desk of the spa were not friendly, and downright rude when letting everyone know that the pool would be closing in 15 minutes. They made us feel that they did not want to be there or be of service...Trust me, our group was very low maintenance...we were completely self sufficient, and the staff of the spa were still rude. I definitely had a goal of having a facial, but did not feel if would be worth the money, because it really is about friendly service. Because we did not feel welcomed to eat in the dining area, we went to Mcgills...what a wonderful surprise. It was homey, friendly, quaint, and Sean and Ross were superb. We had so much fun with that group, that as tired as we were after touring all day, we made an effort to visit them, because the food, service and friendliness were great. Maybe the front desk should take a lesson from them. They did everything they could to make our stay fantastic...

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Kathy L
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed here in December and enjoyed the quality and food yet again. Got an upgrade to a suite which was lovely. Make sure to book dinner in advance as it was a struggle to get a table but we were accommodated eventually!
Lovely walks and the area very relaxing and Avoca shops perfect to enjoy.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This Ritz was just OK. Although I was there on a GroupOn ticket, I still don't think that I got the same service that someone paying full price would have gotten. I had to ask 4 times for a sheet for the bed. They use duvet's there so there is no sheet between the duvet and you. The duvet only can get very warm during the night. I also used up the tissue in the dispenser. The room was cleaned and the tissue was still empty. I complained to the front desk and the tissue dispenser remained empty for the duration of my stay. Not exactly what I would call a "top-notch Ritz service".

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank denpine
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This was a part of a Groupon trip to Ireland so my expectations were low. The hotel was wonderful and so were the services. The concierge (Robbie) was not very helpful, he answered the questions you asked, but didn't offer any suggestions. We didn't eat there but did have a drink at the bar which was 11 Euros for a malibu and coke! Was was great and very clean hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a room above ground! we were on the 3rd floor and faced a garden that was not yet in bloom...
2  Thank kelden12
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My bride of 39 years and I stayed here for a week beginning 3/19/13. We found the staff to be most helpful and accommodating. The hotel and grounds are beautiful. Our room was large and had all the bells and whistles we needed. (One negative was a too soft mattress with valleys in it. I didn't complain so that's on me.) We found the hotel far enough away to suit our tastes from the big cities, but close enough to drive to most anywhere except west coast. That's a 3.5 hour hike. We enjoyed McGills pub numerous times (Kamilla) and the Breakfast area with a stunning view where we ate breakfast 7 days in a row. (Hats off to Sebastion for taking care of all our needs at breakfast. He is a true professional.) We got a great price for this hotel and do not regret our staying. Matter of fact, we look forward to returning.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I am familiar with this area of Ireland and know my way around many of the hotels and restaurants. This was my first and last visit to the Ritz-Carlton!
This hotel was much heralded in the press and is a product of the Celtic Tiger era ( up to 2009) as the ultimate in luxury, featuring a Gordon Ramsay restaurant. The bloom has now gone off it and the hotel is now in receivership and I can see why. It is located in the beautiful Powercourt House estate and disfigures it. The car park lighting and reception structures at the rear are reminiscent of 1950s railway station design. The interior is a mish mash of themes and design, seemingly undecided as to what it is trying to achieve and lots of dark wood gives a cold, gloomy feel. The front of the hotel is a much more elegant design with nice views towards Sugarloaf mountain and the Wicklow countryside (marred by the siting of a 20-30 foot metallic sculpture of a paper dart crashed into the ground beside a small wooded area!)
The clientele on Easter Sunday were mainly visitors ( a number of whom I talked with) from Northern Ireland on their Easter Break and just in from a morning's touring, golfing or walking in the Powerscourt estate proper with a healthy appetite.
My wife and I ordered brunch - (Full Irish breakfast and a light salad with coffee) after a short wait ( plenty of staff but not sure what they were doing). The coffee arrived after 10 minutes which gave me time to look around and observe that most furniture below knee level had lots of dust residue which looked to be weeks old or more. The food arrived after another 10 minutes and was rather sparse. My wife had to ask for some toast as none was provided. It arrived after some time and was wafer-thin dried out bread. That might do with pate in a French restaurant but not as a hearty meal in freezing weather. The cost in total was €50 for around €6 worth of food served slowly. Needless to say, we didn't stay to savour more 5 star service.

My feeling is that service and experiences may be very varied here. Rave reviews from American tourists may be caught up in the moment and some of the restaurant meals might be very good but my own experience and comments from those I talked to suggest disappointment. It may have been good for a while but now is expensive and pretentious.

I have discovered a much better brunch experience less than half a mile away in the village of Enniskerry at Kennedy's country kitchen. No pretentions, prompt service, beautiful fresly cooked food on hot plates with lovely selection of oven-fresh breads and cakes and at a reasonable price. A few doors up from that is Poppy's Cafe (tiny) which also has nice country cooking. For visitors to the area looking for good quality food and a nice view,in what was the Slazenger mansion, they might like the (self-service) resataurant in Powerscourt House itself, only a few hundred yards from the Ritz-Carlton but be warned, it is popular and gets busy at week-ends.

1  Thank RonnieDublinIreland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniskerry
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
#7 of 150 in Dublin
The Marker Hotel
The Marker Hotel
#2 of 150 in Dublin

Been to Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!