“Relaxed friendly atmosphere”

Dublin
“Relaxed friendly atmosphere”
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Stayed 2 nights at this hotel as wedding guest. Very warm and welcoming staff,
Lovely grounds, great area , minutes walk from Powercourt and about 10mins walk from Enniskerry village.
Food very good, very friendly staff more than made up for faded decore. Courtyard rooms small but adaquate and very clean,although walls thin so could hear normal conversation from next room.Good value for money.

Room Tip: Check for rooms in house , might be bigger .
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Myself and my mum recently stayed here on 'The great Break' package. We started with afternoon tea in the hotel before we headed off to have 2 treatments each at the nearby Rainforest Day Spa. The afternoon tea was simply delicious. The spa is very well run and a totally relaxing experience. The views are stunning. The staff are so lovely and excellent at their job. We finished our day with a lovely evening meal in the restaurant which again was delicious and big portions too. The breakfast then next morning was great.
Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice relaxing night/weekend away in a beautiful part of Co. Wicklow.

Room Tip: If you haven't been The Powerscourt Waterfall is just a short drive away and well worth a visit.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Great food we were a large group of women, and not one of us had any issues, really really enjoyable. The service was a1 couldn't do enough for us. Nice to have spa facilities near by.. went to powerscourt the next day finished our lovely weekend.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Enniskerry
Reviewed June 11, 2014

I just spend a lovely day in the Sumnmerhill Hotel at a Wedding with an overnight stay and breakfast. The Receptionist was wonderful and a credit to the hotel and the service overall was top class. The breakfast which I look forward to was brillant, a full array of goods, hote and cold buffet and no shortage of breads and scones. We had beautiful scones and cream for afternoon tea while we waited for the Wedding meal which I though made it very homly. All in all we will be returning and hopefully enjoy the SPA treatments which we were notified by the receptionist before we left.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

dublin
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I had an overnight stay here recently to attend a wedding . I had a room in the courtyard at the back . To reach this you have to go down 1 floor in the lift and cross a yard . No worries as the hotel provides umberellas at the exit if the weather was bad . It was a house with 3 seperate units . . My room through the shared front door was a downstairs room . It had a nice double bed and a single bed with crisp white bed linen . .It had a small kitchen with a microwave ,kettle and fridge There was also a television . .The bathroom was lovely and all units seemed to be new . The room had a little balcony that you could step out onto but not that much of a view . Had a lovely nights sleep her and didnt hear a peep from anywhere .
The hotel itself is lovely . . Its full of nooks and crannies and rooms leading into other rooms which can be opened or closed according to their use . . I particularly love the drawing room .I would have loved to curl up with a book here . The wedding itself was spectacular and all the food was fabulous . .As it was a beautifull day we were able to adjourn to the garden area while waiting for the photos to conclude . There is a rainforest spa on site also
I am not sure how you would put in you day if the weather was bad because it is a bit of a walk to Enniskerry village .But the lovely Powerscourt is on your doorstep . . I would not stay here unless I had transport but then again I am not a thrill seeker!
Breakfast the next morning was lovely and service from the staff was excellent . I would definetely recommend staying here for a restfull break or touring . . I could not recommend it for children as I did not see any facilities to entertain them .To conclude the Summerhill is a lovely old fashioned hotel with excellent staff . . The type which is fast dissapearing from our land . I can throughly recommend a stay here. without any hesitation

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Milan, Michigan
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Great walking location to the Powerscourt Gardens and to the small town. Beautiful rooms and a great view of the country side. The hotel was very clean and comfortable. I would stay again if I was in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 6, 2014

I had my wedding reception in Summerhill House. As I was the groom I had no say in the matter! My beautiful wife decided we were getting married here before we had even seen the hotel (she loves the area). I was thinking about having the reception in a place offering "good" deals, a wedding is really expensive and the hotel is the most expense element of the 100+ details you need to organise, but don't go for the "good" deal in a NAMA hotel. We paid €65 a head but that was last year (May 2013) and they now offer the same package for €55 (2014) a head so it is way more competitive now. With 100 people coming to the wedding I was thinking what I could have done with the €1,000 saving I could have made in the run up to the wedding, maybe we could have had a magician and a harpist at the reception too, Jesus wept!!! It was a great day, dare I say the best day of our life? If you visit the hotel mid-week while you are on a day off from work you will make comparisons with Fawlty Towers; it's not the K Club! Don't judge the place on a lazy Tuesday afternoon in February. On the day of your wedding it will be sparkling, they go all out to get the hotel in order for weddings, the place was completely perfect on the day.The food was first class and the staff even come around after the main course to offer seconds to all guests, I got great feedback on this and many of the guests said their second dinner was even better then their first! This is a great touch by the Summerhill House and makes so much sense as the food would have been binned anyway. It's a super venue for a wedding; I had three HR managers from highly rated hotels in Dublin, Killarney and London (all 4 and 5 star) at the wedding and they really enjoyed their visit to Summerhill House (one of them was a Marriott employee in London so he raved about the Powerscourt Hotel down the road in Enniskerry but admitted pound for pound the Summwerhill House was probably better, I didn't get an equal endorsement from my cousin who manages The Lake Hotel in Killarney, she enjoyed herself a lot anyway, Irish pride I guess!). The one thing I wouldn't do is reserve rooms for wedding guests. I reserved about 42 rooms for guests, a lot of them phoned independently when they got their invitations and the hotel never cross checked to see if they already had a room pre-reserved when they phoned to book a room; they were just told the hotel was booked out and given details of other hotels in Bray and the surrounding area. I reserved this many rooms because another cousin of mine who worked in a hotel in Kilkenny told me it was standard to hold rooms for guests up until five/six weeks before a wedding, they would normally cross check, but this didn't happen at Summerhill. I had asked for any room not booked to be released six weeks before the wedding but there was confusion on both sides (not all my fault or the hotels I guess!!!) and I had to pay for 8 rooms that nobody stayed in when I checked out the day after my wedding; I paid because I didn't need an argument that day, but I was ticked off because I saw friends of mine who were "no shows" sweating like pigs on my wedding day after walking back from their B&Bs in the local area even though they tried to book a room in the hotel by phone. An upgrade on the CRM/IT systems is definitely needed but this hotel has its heart in the right place and will give you the happiest day of your life if you decide to go for it. Well done Summerhill House :)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniskerry
Wilton Hotel Bray
Esplanade Hotel
Esplanade Hotel
#5 of 7 in Bray
The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club

Been to Summerhill House Hotel? Share your experiences!