“Nice hotel for weekend”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Enniskerry
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This hotel is located just outside the village of Enniskerry which is about 20 kilometres from the centre of Dublin. The hotel is set in a nice location and there are plenty of outdoor activities in the local area ( Powerscourt Denense ) is just a short walk away. The hotel is a little dated however I believe this adds to the charm as it feels right. Bedrooms are nice and clean however my only quibble was most of the plugs were not the modern 13 amp type and i could not use any appliances phones etc for charging. Food was excellent and the staff were very helpful. My age old question would I stay again and the answer is yes but I would bring own portable charge unit.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
HelenStrandwood, Public Relations Manager at Summerhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Thank you for your review on your recent stay at the Summerhill House Hotel Enniskerry we are delighted you enjoyed our stay including our great location, friendly staff and comfortable accommodation. Its great to hear you would stay with us again and we certainly look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

We had our wedding reception here on April 6th. I am finding it difficult to articulate how impressed and grateful we are to the staff of the Summerhill House Hotel for the service and product that they supplied to me, my new wife and all our guests on our wedding day. From the moment we sat with the wedding coordinator, we knew we were dealing with professionals and they literally took all the pressure off us with their experience and many ideas.

On the day, the setting was fantastic. The guests had lovely food and drinks on arrival and we were greeted like royalty. The room was beautifully laid out and the staff were so attentive. I had a few changes to make to seating plans and a few last minute vegetarians. This was shrugged off as a minor technicality and the changes were made.

Guests said that the staff offered extra food during the meal and even followed the smokers outside to make sure they had a drink in their hand.

Later in the night, the bar staff provided extra sandwiches and cake for people in the residents bar, we really appreciated this. I genuinely have never met friendlier bar staff!

The rooms are lovely and he honeymoon suite is to die for. We even stayed a second night with 20 friends and family.

If you are looking at a classy yet relaxed wedding venue and you need professional staff to make the day perfect, go and speak to Orla out in the Summerhill!

Thanks guys

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you both for your fantastic review we are all so delighted your wedding went well, you were also especially great to deal with and it was our pleasure to ensure everything went really well for your wedding. Everyone at the Summerhill House Hotel wishes you both a very long and happy life together.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Myself and partner stayed at Summerhill House recently for a cousins wedding.Everyone of the staff were brilliant, extremly helpfull and friendly.We stayed in one of the houses and the balcony views were amazing over looking lovely landscape and sea views.Highly Recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
HelenStrandwood, Public Relations Manager at Summerhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Hello and thank you for your lovely view I am delighted you enjoyed your stay especially the views and our great location and our friendly welcoming staff. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Attended for family Easter lunch. Previous family wedding receptions still fresh in our memories. Rude members of restaurant staff forced a swift departure as we made for Druids Glen instead. Totally inflexible.. we were told to order From set menu Or nothing. Very poor service! Need to work on friendliness of staff. Will not be recommending to friends or colleagues

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank timeout2007
HelenStrandwood, Public Relations Manager at Summerhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Hello our regret you did not get to enjoy a good dining experience. As you had booked in for the Easter Table d'hote Sunday menu this was the only menu option available. I understand you were quite delayed as you were waiting for family members to join you and I know you did explain that by the time you sat for dinner you did not wish to avail of the table d'hote menu but as it was already passed the lunch serving time this was the only dining option available as was explained by the manager on duty. Normally we certainly would endeavour to be as flexible as possible but on certain days of the year the restaurant is especially busy such as Mothers Day and Easter Sunday and so to ensure we offer the best quality of food and service on these particular days we are restricted to offering just the one menu option. It allows us to do one thing very well rather than many things average. So unfortunately we were not able to accommodate your request for an alternative menu. Our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

the good news first: more than excellent breakfast, even for vegetarians! the weird impressions started some hours before we arrived: a phone call that we had to pay a cancellation fee. but we hadn't cancel!!! yes we did, the hotel man said, I even talked to YOU on the phone. but he didn't. strange feeling upon the arrival (very late after a concert in dublin). the booked room in the separate building was pitch-DARK - without electricity but we were told the electrician is doing his best to bring it back. in the meantime a very furious guest rushed into his car, banged the door and raced away. suddenly the burglar alarm from the spa howled across the back yard for 5-6-7 minutes. we were then offered a room in the main house with the hint "but it is old". asking what that meant (no electricity? bad mattresses?) again: "just old". okay, we love old houses, i am even a fan of shabby chic interiors, so we accepted and loved the first sight of the room. the temperature though was low, very low actually, outside we had some 2 or 3 degrees. apparently the heating was already off, it was after midnight. never mind, the bed looked great, the duvet was soft and thick, the linen white and clean, we didn't care. putting off my winter boots i was wondering why my feet/socks were so sweaty despite being so cold. okay, let's have a short shower (in the even colder bathroom)!!! but no warm water from the electric shower even after 5 minutes of running water and loud noises from the device! being around 1 am we thought it's not a good idea to complain. going back to the bed i stepped into a huge puddle (water? tea? coffee? or worse?) - now realizing that it was no sweat which had made my feet so wet! despite hearing every word from the girls in the neighboring room, even a zipper being opened, we had a very good sleep (me armed with a scarf and my woolen sweater over plus a woolen vest under my pyjama). in the morning the radiator wouldn't start, the thermostat nearly fell off trying to adjust it. but somehow the experience felt soooo extraterrestrial that we took it with a good sense of humor and shot some funny photographs for our travel scrap book: of the big spider web in the bathroom, the broken floor tiles and the wrongly attached cheap and small lamp shade in the otherwise opulently decorated really nice room. then we went down into the heated and bright breakfast room and enjoyed the 5* breakfast. the lady at the reception was very friendly, came to the room to have a look at the puddle and the heating issue - we didn't need to pay the 95 euros per person. i am sure we will remember this polar adventure forever ("remember that freezing night - me sleeping with a scarf around my head and only a pair of wet socks to warm my feet???!!") and we would even come back as it's a house with a wonderful potential situated in a wonderful corner of ireland - within walking distance of powerscourt garden.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
HelenStrandwood, Public Relations Manager at Summerhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Hello, I am glad there were some good elements to your recent stay with us, especially the food. We did have quite a dilemma with an entire fusebox blowing in our courtyard rooms unfortunately we had some overseas guests who plugged in an electrical appliance and blew the entire box it did take overnight to fix but we got it all sorted out as quick as we could. As for the room in the main hotel there are certainly some house keeping issues that we will certainly address including the lovely spiderwebs. I understand you were in the original house and I am glad you liked the character of the original building but I can assure you we will certainly be looking after the issues you raised. At least it was an unforgettable experience and I am pleased you would come again as we certainly would love to see you again.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband & I were married here in 2010 & we love the place. 3rd time back since the big day. We brought our 5 month old daughter this time & we had a wonderful stay. The room was very comfortable, the dinner was relaxed & satisfying & the staff were very helpful & courteous. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: March 2013

Hello thank you for your great review and its really great to know you enjoyed another great stay at the Summerhill House Hotel. Its always lovely to welcome back our Brides and Grooms especially as their families grow so we certainly look forward to seeing you all again in the near future.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed in room 211 for two nights 12 / 13 March. Would not recommend as a Winter destination. Heating did not work. Reported to staff, no action, went out for dinner, complained again on return, still no action. TV picture quality was very poor. No offers to change room or alternative means of heating.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Watermark39
HelenStrandwood, Public Relations Manager at Summerhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Hello, I am very sorry you were disappointed with your recent stay due to the cold in room and my apologies it was not rectified immediately for you either by fixing it or offering you an alternative. I will ask the managers to review this as it is not acceptable to us either. Room 211 is generally a very popular room as it has great views so I am very sorry you did not enjoy your stay if you would like to contact us to discuss it further please ask for Orla Coogan who will assist you.

Enniskerry

Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniskerry
Glenview Hotel
The Martello Hotel
Wilton Hotel Bray
Wilton Hotel Bray
#2 of 7 in Bray

Been to Summerhill House Hotel? Share your experiences!