“Poor Breakfast offering”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Cork
“Poor Breakfast offering”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Wonderful village, splendid day but a disappointing breakfast. This cafe looks good and they advertise a home cooking vibe but when we had breakfast here recently it was poor. The poached eggs swimming in water, the bacon steamed rather than crisply fried, the sausages with no flavour and the tomato ok but not a sprinkle of chive or sprig of parsley to enliven the presentation. The reakfast was €9.50 with toast and coffee which is reasonable but the quality was poor. Service was good but we won't return and, unfortunately, after such a poor breakfast it would not entice us to try the lunch menu.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank BrianCork
peter n, Owner at Poppies Cafe, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear Brian,
Sorry to hear that your breakfast experience was not a good one, I can assure you we only use the finest Irish ingredients. I will of course speak to the chef about the importance of presentation.
I'm delighted that you felt our service was good and hope that you give us another try

Warm Regards

• Polish first
Los Angeles, California
“Poppies Cafe: An Absolutely Fantastic Cafe in a Lovely Town”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Five stars simply aren't enough. Poppies Cafe is a wonderful gem in the charming town of Enniskerry, County Wicklow. Thanks to the recommendation of friends who visited in January, when a friend and I traveled to Ireland in mid-March and stayed nearby, we went to Poppies for breakfast the morning after arriving. From that point onward it became our go-to stop for as many meals as we could work into the hours they were open. Poppies offers everything from tea with scrumptious fruit scones, jam and butter to full breakfasts. It's not just a breakfast restaurant however. They serve up main meals that are beautifully prepared and incredibly tasty. Their baked goods and desserts are delicious - you must try the rhubarb crumble with cream! The staff makes you feel completely at home. Peter and company were attentive and engaging, not only offering us wonderful service but asking us about our daily adventures and making suggestions for sights to see locally and further afield. Take-away (carry out) also available as well as free WiFi. I can't say enough about this cafe; it's fantastic!

peter n, Owner at Poppies Cafe, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Carolynn,
Just aquick note to say thanks for such a glowing review, it is much appreciiated.
Im delighted that your vacation was so good.
Hope to see you next time you cross the pond

Peter
Jacksonville, Florida
“our #1 favorite in Enniskerry”
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

Ate here twice and the food and service was outstanding. Very welcome to international travelers. Our favorite breakfast and coffee place in the quaint and friendly village of Enniskerry

Visited March 2014
peter n, Owner at Poppies Cafe, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Dear Abmadden,
Just a quick note to say thanks for taking the time to review us.
We do try our best to ensure that our customers enjoy their visits and its just super when thats appreciated.
I hope to see you next time you are over

Warm regards

Dublin, Ireland
“Try their fruit crumble - delicious (but beware of a visit if you're a public service worker)”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

If you visit this cafe and if you are partial to fruit crumble then try theirs. It's superb. The place can get a little packed at weekends (especially Sundays) but it's here a long time in Enniskerry (under different owners) and hasn't changed anything for the worst. The only thing that ever got up my nose in this establishment was having my digestion interefered with as a result of the owner griping openly (with typical cliche) about "lazy public servants" (of which I happen to be one). If he felt this way I wondered why he didn't have the courage of his convictions and post a sign on his door announcing that he welcomed all customers and their money - providing they didn't work for the public service!

peter n, Owner at Poppies Cafe, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Dear Tallegio,
Firslty many thanks for the five star review, I'm delighted you enjoyed your visit and secondly I would like to apologise if I offended you in any way. I cannot recall the public servant comment but I would imagine it was tongue in cheek comment as I was no doubt having a joke with a regular comment as loads of my regulars and family members are indeed public servants.
Hopefully my inappropriate comments wont put you off visiting us again.

Warm regards

Dublin, Ireland
“Charged for a tiny cup of milk”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I spent €20+ in Poppies of Enniskerry on Saturday. A lovely tasty lunch comprising of a salmon bake, a Poppies chicken dish and coffees. We had our two children with us (one 7 months, the other 25 months old). During my lunch I asked the serving girl for a small cup of hot milk with a straw for our 25 month old. I was shocked that we were then charged 1e for this having spend €20+ in the restaurant. As a family that regularly walks in the area, bikes in the area and hikes in the area I will not be returning again, this was complete #ripoffcentral Poppies, not impressed.

I could have easily used the milk from the jug on the table, would I have been charged for that also?

peter n, Owner at Poppies Cafe, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Con2011,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, after reading your review I'm somewhat surprised that you gave us one star, you appeared to like eveything bar the price of the warm milk for one of your children.
The drink your 25 month old had was a baby chinno, which is a small warm cup of milk that normally has a sprinkle of chocolate on it.
After reading your review I did a lot of research into the pricing of our kids hot drinks and found that we are by far the least expensive, not just in the area but I could not find anyone that was cheaper than us.
I'm sorry that you felt we were rip off central.

Regards