“Disappointing....”
Review of Falls Hotel & Spa

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ennistymon
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Just back from a weekend in the Falls Hotel and although there are so many lovely parts and features to this hotel. I think they failed on some very important aspects.
On check in we were told where our room was, no mention of the restaurant location, times for breakfast dinner etc, same with the spa and pool area.
Our room was at the top of the house, it was very dated and quite cold. The TV was so far away from the bed you had to walk half way across the room so you could change the channel with the remote control! Again on check out, we weren’t even asked if we enjoyed our stay, just a ‘thanks folks’ as if it was all good. Staff friendliness was a key part of what the Falls sold and over the weekend, I didn’t experience any of that at all I am afraid.
Until all rooms are at a par, I think a different rate should be quoted because where we stayed and what the website promote were two very different things.
Breakfast was great, good variety and really tasty. The spa area was great with such a lovely sauna room and the outdoor hot tub was fab.
The location is just gorgeous with views of the cascades and river but I think the place needs an injection of consistency to make it more appealing.

Room Tip: make sure you ask for one of the newer rooms on booking.....
Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
FallsHotelSpa, Manager at Falls Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Hello TripAdvisor Member,
Starting with the positives you have alluded to I am delighted to see your high praise for our food on offer at the Falls Hotel & Spa. You also appeared to have really enjoyed our facilities at our River Spa which is encouraging. Our scenic location also received compliments and this too is very pleasing to hear.
The greatest concern about your stay is your disappointment about our reception staff. Generally our staff receive vast praise for their friendliness so it is disappointing to see that you were left unimpressed. The only possible explaination was due to the fact it was a very busy weekend and maybe you visited the desk at the busiest time but even still you should have received a better welcome.
Thanks for all your feedback and it will be taken into consideration.

There are newer reviews for Falls Hotel & Spa

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed in the hotel with my boyfriend last weekend and overall we had a good experience here. I'll start with the negative

In the package deal we booked there was supposed to be slippers, robes and wine awaiting us on arrival. We had the slippers and the wine but there were no robes which was a disappointment as I was expecting them. I don't particularly like to complain about things and it was only a minor thing so I left it. The wine I assume had at some stage been chilled in an ice bucket but by the time we arrived it was sitting in a bucket of room temp water which was also a bit of a disappointment. While sorting out our bags and unpacking etc we also happened to find a dirty sock that was left behind by the previous guest.

There was supposed to be a hairdryer in the room so i didn't bring my own but the tiny device attached to the bathroom wall had very weak hair-drying abilities and seeing as my hair is very thick it wasn't even worth the effort to try and dry it. The shower took a long time to heat up and could use updating as it was old fashioned looking. The car park is a bit mad and although there's plenty of places to park, there could maybe be some lines to define the spaces as some cars parked with very large gaps taking up more space than was needed and the first night we had to park far from the entrance. Finally our room was 403 and is very near reception so we could hear the music from a wedding that was on and could hear guests coming and going very often and the window is just across from one of the public rooms so we were a little conscious of people being able to see into our room.

The positive, The staff were very friendly and helpful, the room was very clean (apart from the stray sock) and tidy and very large and spacious, and apart from a tree in front of the window, the river view was very nice. The beds were very comfortable and we had a good nights sleep apart from some noise from the wedding reception on the first night. We were impressed with the breakfast and we went at 8:30 so it wasn't too busy but the dinner is what really impressed us. We ate in the Cascades restaurant and the service was great, very friendly staff and the food was absolutely gorgeous. I really liked the style of the hotel and the location and it was nice to stroll around the grounds. Our package deal included breakfast each morning and one three course meal as well as the robes and wine and the price for this was very reasonable and quite good value.

We didn't get an opportunity to visit the spa or pool though we did hear nice things about it. I want to point out also that the hotel seems to be a popular hotel for families as there were a lot of families there during our stay.

It seems as though the negative in my review outweighs the positive though the negative points are only small. Overall we were impressed with the hotel and had a very nice and enjoyable stay and would definitely stay there again and recommend to others.

Room Tip: I Would avoid room 403 if you are a light sleeper and want a quieter room
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
FallsHotelSpa, Manager at Falls Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Hello TripAdvisor Member,
I'm delighted that overall you and your boyfriend had a great St. Patrick's weekend with us at the Falls Hotel & Spa. Your praise for the service we offer is very kind.
You particularly seemed to enjoy the level of cuisine we serve both at breakfast and especially at dinner in our Cascades restaurant. You also compliment the quality of our friendly staff and I have to agree with you in speaking highly of our location. Walking around the grounds of our scenic location is a must for any visitor here.
As you say yourself there were only a few minor negatives but I appreciate the feedback. I investigated your missing robe and this was due to us being all out of them. You should have been told this on check-in as our reception team had been instructed to inform our guests.
The melted ice was unfortunate but this may be due to a lack of knowledge of an exact check-in time. Sometimes the presence of a wedding does bring a greater level of noise and atmosphere but we do locate all our wedding guests together on a seperate floor of the hotel.
We would be delighted at the Falls to see you return again in the not so distant future.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Myself and my girlfriend had a weekend stay for two nights. In our bedroom the shower was broken in the bathroom with no running hot water and constantly cold. During our two night stay our room wasn't serviced once i.e we received no fresh clean towels or bed sheets. We were also woken up on our 2nd night at 4a.m. with the fire-alarm going off for 2minutes. We had an offer of afternoon tea during our stay where we received a pot of tea which tasted like coffee and two scones which had just been defrosted from the freezer and were not fresh. Decor of the bedroom was very outdated and the hotel in general needs a major revamp! Very disappointing hotel stay indeed.

Room Tip: Upper floors are meant to be of a better standard and a higher finish.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank briangaffney1

Hello TripAdvisor Member,

Reading your review I am disappointed you did not enjoy your recent stay with us here in Ennistymon. I would like to try and address some of the issues you have raised. Fire alarms are a necessity for any establishment, with all our guests safety in mind but sometimes a false alarm may occur due to no fault of the hotel but I realise the timing obviously was not perfect in the early hours. Our scones are baked freshly in-house and are served heated to all our customers.
In relation to your biggest concern I personally spoke with our Accomadtion manager and she ensured me that every room is serviced daily. The only way a room is not serviced is if a do not disturb sign is present and if this is the case the room is then rang and asked if they would like their room serviced or if anything in particular is needed.
Thank you for writing this review and I hope that you may return again in the future.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay in the Falls Hotel.We had a gorgeous meal in the cascades restaurant served by hard working friendly and very helpful staff.Our breakfast was delicious also with plenty of variety to suit all tastes.The bedroom was spacious and comfortable and spotlessly clean.We enjoyed immensely a swim in the pool and relaxing in the jacuzzi and sauna.I would look forward to going back.

Room Tip: choose a room overlooking the river
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
FallsHotelSpa, Manager at Falls Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Hello TripAdvisor Member,
It sounds like you had a terrific stay with us here in Ennistymon. Descriptions like a "gorgeous meal" always makes us feel like we're doing a good job for all our guests. You seem to have been equally impressed with our breakfast menu which is another good sign. I think you made a wonderful decision by visiting our River Spa also as there is really no better way to relax! We equally look forward to having you back again to us at the Falls Hotel & Spa!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. the Hotel in is middle town in central location. close to cliffs moher and other tourist attractions. there is ample parking and the staff were very friendly. the hotel food was ok and bar was busy with good atmosphere. there is no wifi in the bedrooms which was little annoying but free wifi in reception and bar. there is a pool and gym both which were good. the hotel room was clean and warm.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Claire M

Hello TripAdvisor Member,
We are pleased to see that you chose the Falls Hotel & Spa as a central base for visiting the many tourist attractions located near us here in North Clare. It's pleasing to see your praise for the atmosphere in our Dylan Thomas Bar and also your kind words for all of our staff.
We are currently considering increasing the availability of our wifi to our rooms so this advice is acknowledged. I hope you have a return visit already in your mind!

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Lovely family hotel to stay in. Large rooms with cots for baby not travel cot. The food is very good. No life guards on duty in the swimming pool and the weekend we stayed the hotel was full of familys and 2 busess of teenage girls. I would go back but maybe management should employ at least one life guard to be poolside when the hotel have alot of familys staying. Also a kids club would be an advantage.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Hello TripAdvisor Member,
The positives you have stated are great feedback. It's wonderful to see appreciation for our rooms and the overall accomodation service we offer. We are deighted you enjoyed the quality of food we serve at the Falls Hotel & Spa also. In relation to your query about lifeguards, there are always qualified life savers on duty at the leisure centre so they would have been around somwehere for certain. We often try to run a kids club but it's based on guest demand so it only occurs when the numbers are high enough for it to work. I really hope we see you back here again soon.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I recently stayed here with a group of friends. The hotel is in a lovely setting, the hotel looks lovely from the outside and the staff were friendly in the hotel. Overall, I found the rooms very basic, the bar itself is like a large open hall and not very inviting. We ate in the Thai restaurant on the Saturday night, the service was very slow and after waiting such a long time for the food, we were very disappointed. The starters were tastless but edible, the main course was terrible, out of 6 of us, 4 of us did not eat our main courses. The prawns were off, the chicken was very strange looking and rubbery, and the sauce with my chicken and cashew nut resembled a very thick gravy, totally inedible! I actually felt ill after the dinner! The food at the breakfast buffet the next day was not great quality. However, the leisure facilities and spa in the hotel are of a good standard, it actually feels like a different hotel! the only drawback is the heat in the changing rooms, it is like a sauna there, I said it to the girl on reception and she just agreed that it was very hot in the changing room and laughed it off. I would not return to this hotel again due to the quality of the food.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
FallsHotelSpa, Manager at Falls Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Hello TripAdvisor Member,

Firstly I appreciate the fact that you have taken your time to construct a review of of our hotel.
Secondly I am glad to hear of your praise for our location, our setting and the friendliness of our staff. You also kindly compliment our River Spa and Aqua and Leisure Club facilities.
Unfortunately however during your stay you appear not to have enjoyed our food on offer. This is disappointing as we pride ourselves in the quality and freshness of the food we deliever at the Falls Hotel & Spa. You also found the service to be a bit slow which may have been due to the business of the restaurant at the time you were eating.
We take on board the criticisms you have pointed out and hopefully you will be willing to give us another try and pay a return visit to Ennistymon.

Sales & Marketing Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennistymon
Cliffs of Moher Hotel
#2 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus
Hotel Woodstock
Hotel Woodstock
#2 of 9 in Ennis

Been to Falls Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!