“Great short break”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ennistymon
Cork, Ireland
“Great short break”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

We booked this hotel because we wanted a hotel with a pool near to the Cliffs of Moher, a short Valentines getaway. The pool was warm and clean although the lockers had no locks in the changing rooms. Upon return, I found a random woman had cheekily taken my towel from underneath my clothes and was boldly using her and my towels to dry herself?! Don't take valuables there. Once your internal geographical compass has kicked in and you manage to find your room through the maze, the rooms serve their purpose although I wondered if stray black curly hairs in the bath were the cleaners or previous guests (yuck)?! This hotel has great potential but attention to the small details make a huge difference between an average rating and an excellent one :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
FallsHotelSpa, Manager at Falls Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Hello TripAdvisor Member,

It's nice to see that you describe your recent stay with us as a "Great short break." Our pool and location are only two of the many reasons why visitors decide to stay with us at the Falls Hotel & Spa. We appreciate all of your advice but especially about our current locker system and we are certainly going to look into improving our levels of security. We hope that we may see you return to the Falls in the future.

Kind regards,
Sales and Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

To add to the generally sub-standard experience, I have emailed the hotel TWICE about the various complaints, and have been completely ignored. I am doubly un-impressed.

On Friday evening, we ate in the bar. While there were tables available, there were none clean. We found ourselves some menus and sat at a dirty table, waiting for staff. While the food was almost adequate, the service was surprisingly laboured for off-season crowds.

Breakfast on Saturday morning was similarly surprising. While I am entirely used to having a limited holiday diet as a vegetarian, the buffet selection was rather dismal. I did laps in search of a plate, and I THEN had to chase a waitress around the room to order some tea and coffee..

That evening, I visited the swimming pool before dinner. There was a disturbing amount of hair elastics strewn on the floor. I couldn't help wondering how long it had been since it was last cleaned. The pool itself was refreshingly cool. However, the jets in the jacuzzi were entirely cold. Certainly not conducive to a pleasant, relaxing experience. I didn't notice any signage indicating the advertised 'Thermal Suite'. I thought it a little odd that a spa hotel had no robes on offer, either in the rooms or at the pool. I have found this the norm for any hotel claiming to be among "the best Spa Hotels in Ireland". I've been to a couple, and this place looks more like a public swimming pool.

When I returned from the pool to our room, I was told there was no hot water. On reporting this to reception, we were told the boiler was having trouble keeping up with the demand, as everyone was showering at the same time. Again, extremely surprising for off-peak business! We were told the hot water supply would be reinstated at approx 8.15pm. I noted it warmed, but it was certainly not hot.

There were also no facecloths in the room. Our towels were refreshed, but there was little evidence of the room or bathroom being cleaned. Our toilet was loose and wobbly, and I was perplexed as to why there was a cold draught on my legs as I stood at the handbasin.

We were now running quite late for dinner. We knew from our previous enquiries that the hotel restaurants close at 9pm. When we rang to check that it would be ok to arrive close to 9, we were told the restaurant was entirely booked out. Room service also ceased at 9pm - not that there was anything suitable for vegetarians on it regardless. We had to drive to the next town to find anything.

To add insult to injury, they attempted to charge us for two steak dinners when we were checking out on Sunday morning. Clearly, they would not have been ours.

I can only assume the hotel was uncharacteristically busy for the time of year, as the car park seemed to be quite full. I was relieved that I had packed very lightly for the weekend, as to drag a suitcase from the carpark, across the uneven surface, up the hill to the many steps at the door would have been quite a chore. The assistance of a porter would have been a great help, but I didn't see any assistance whatsoever.

Suffice to say, I won't be returning to this hotel for any reason.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel!
2 Thank Sinead_Curran
Hello TripAdvisor Member,

As I explained in the email I sent you a few days ago your email was responded to immediately so I presume based on what you have said there must be a problem with our contact form on our website which may have caused the delay. I have now also emailed the company that powers our site to get this rectified immediately.
In relation to your stay I am so disappointed to see that you did not enjoy your time at our hotel. We are a small family owned and family managed hotel and we always try our utmost to offer a fantastic service to all our guests. I would now like to address some of the issues you referred to.
Friday evening was a particularly busy time at the hotel and this explains why some of the tables may not have been fully cleaned off. However it is disappointing to hear that you found the standard of service to be inadequate. We pride ourselves in having a helpful and friendly front of house staff so I can only presume that the staff may have been rushing due to the overly business time in the bar and were under a lot of pressure compared to usual.
In relation to your breakfast we offer a variety of options to suit all tastes and requirements and we also cater for any special dietary requests on the request of our guests.Our chefs always try their best to provide whatever is needed if at all possible when they are asked.
Our pool and changing areas are cleaned daily. Our robes are kept for those who undertake a treatment at the Spa and are also available as part of some special accommodation and spa packages. It would not be possible to provide robes for all visitors to the pool and Jacuzzi. Also we do have a fantastic thermal suite with a steam room and sauna, looking out on the river Inagh and our scenic location, complimentary to all our guests and I am sure any members of the spa staff would have been willing to inform you about these facilities.
You do allude to the fact that the hotel was busy and that the car park was full so this explains why there may have been a shortage in the hot water available to our guests. Again our bathrooms are cleaned after every check out and depending on the length of a guest’s stay, possibly during their stay also. You do compliment that the towels were refreshed and we no longer provide face cloths as we have found that most guests no longer use them.
In relation to the restaurant we do advise on check in that guests should make a reservation in advance to avoid disappointment. Room service always finishes at 9pm but I have to say there are vegiterian options available as our full bar menu is on offer for room service.
In relation to your luggage if a request is made at the front desk usually a member of staff is provided to help in carrying your belongings to your room without any hassle. I do hope that someday you may reconsider and return to us in Ennistymon again.

Kind regards,
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

We came here for a little celebration for my girlfriends birthday and we had a really good time. I was in contact with the hotel for a massage and to get roses in the room and the staff was really helpful to arrange this. We had dinner in the hotel, the dinner was very good and there was a good choice. My only negative point would be for the breakfast. As this was the weekend after Valentine the hotel was packed, but the breakfast counter was very small, what caused some waiting time to get to the hot breakfast. Other then that I really enjoyed the stay and would go back.

Room Tip: Rooms on the river side are absolutely fabulous.
1 Thank Bibabever
FallsHotel, Manager at Falls Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Hello TripAdvisor Member,

I hope you and your girlfriend had an excellent birthday celebration weekend with us here at the Falls Hotel & Spa.
We love to help our guests out on such important days like this. A massage and roses are the little touches that can make a huge difference to the enjoyability of a romantic breakaway.
Delighted to hear you appreciated the quality of our dinner menu in the Cascades Restaurant. As you stated yourself the only reason that breakfast service may have been a bit slower than usual is due to the busy time of Valentines weekend.
Hope to see you soon and remember the Falls Hotel could even be a possible wedding venue for you somewhere down the line!

Rochestown, Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

Excellent stay perfect for a break away with or without the kids . The rooms are a bit dated but that would not dissuade me from staying again. The best massage I've had if you are carrying old injuries and the Thai rest is well worth a visit but is only available at specific times

Hello TripAdvisor Member,

With or without the kids we hope we are an ideal getaway hotel for you again in the future.
Our team at the River Spa will be delighted to hear your praise for the service they offer and it is excellent to know that we could help ease some of your old injuries. Relaxation for our guests is the name of our game!
You also made a great decision to visit our Thai River restaurant. Thai food after a massage certainly sounds like a terrific weekend to me!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Staff very welcoming on arrival. Room quite nice as we were lucky enough to get one of the modern ones on the 4th floor. The view from the room was awful, all we could see was the car park and a muddy field with a dirty oil tank in it. Would it have killed them to give us a room across the hall with a river view!?! The room was warm and clean though which has to be said. Dinner in the cascades restaurant was lovely except for the dessert. It was also quite annoying that the hotel stops serving food at 9pm because if you wanted to have a quick dip in the pool before dinner, you wouldn't have much time. The leisure centre is beautiful and very well decorated but the dressing room is a bit on the dirty side, you find yourself picking your steps through it so flip flops would be advisable! It's also a good idea to have your shower in the leisure centre rather than waiting to have it when you get back to the room because the shower in the ensuite was FREEZING. I waited with the water running for about 10mins and it still didn't heat up so in the end I just had to bare it. Breakfast every morning was well worth getting up for and the restaurant staff are lovely. The only complaint I have about the breakfast is the leaky teapots and one of the young ones hadn't a clue how to make tea as she put only one tea bag between 2 people in a big teapot.
All in all we had a lovely stay and probably would go back again. It was great value for money and is in a very handy location with lahinch only 2miles down the road.

• Stayed February 2013
FallsHotel, Manager at Falls Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Hello TripAdvisor Member,

It's terrific to hear that you both had such a lovely stay and that ye will be back to us again in the future.
In relation to the few minor problems that you had we appreciate your advice and will look into improving the areas that you highlighted.
Unfortunately our rooms with the best views always book up quite quickly but I am delighted you were happy with our refurbished rooms.
The teapot incident was a once off and probably due to bad timing with new staff training occurring but its still encouraging that in general you were very happy with our members of staff.
Hope to see you both soon again at the Falls.

Cavan, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

We recently stayed at the Falls Hotel for 2 nights B&B and would recommend to anyone looking for a nice home from home retreat .

If you are looking for a modern urban hotel this may not be the place for you - the decor in our room was a little dated, the plumbing was unpredictable, there are no drinks/ice vending machines, and room service is a bit limited.

However, all of these were actually the reasons why we liked it so much. The decor may have been dated but the room was spotlessly clean, the plumbing was nothing we couldn't handle, and the vending machines we didn't miss because Ennistymon has lots of little shops within walking distance of the hotel. Breakfast was delicious - we're quite fussy about our full Irish and this was perfect - sausages well cooked and eggs beautifully sunny side up (because it's the little things isn't it? :-)).

The staff were lovely and very helpful - we managed to lock the key in our room at one point, mentioned it at reception, and housekeeping were almost at the room before we were to open it for us.

The lobby area was lovely - we never sit in hotel lobbies but this one was so welcoming , we settled in for over an hour.

The pool was gorgeous - the kiddies pool is small but there's plenty of room in the main pool and even a bubble pool (it's quite powerful so children would need help in it) .

We ate one evening at the Thai River restaurant within the hotel and it was absolutely delicious.

just in front of the hotel , they have a bird house in the garden, which seems to come complete with resident pigeons, and there are donkeys in the field beside the car park.

The view of the famous falls is a bit spoiled at the moment because there seems to be work going on, and I was disappointed to find that the steps down to them were really badly littered.

Ennistymon is nice town with an old fashioned feel to it - some interesting shops to potter around in.

All in all, we would recommend the Falls Hotel and would definitey stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hello TripAdvisor Member,

We always try our very best to get all those little things you like right, so all families like your own leave us at the Falls Hotel & Spa with a smile on their faces.
Within your praise I am delighted to see you so highly recommend our hotel with specific mentions of the quality of our staff, Thai food and appealing comfortable lobby area.
At the moment the view of the falls is slightly impacted on as we are currently building a hydro-generator to use our fantastic and beautiful resource to create electricity for the hotel and local area. The finished article will certainly be worth the wait and will provide yet another interesting reason to pay a return visit to us at the Falls.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Recently stayed for 2 nights on B&B basis. The hotel itself is nice, a little dated but clean and tidy. Reception area is spacious, Bar is good. Bar menu is fairly limited but quality of food is good. Service was a little slow which was strange as the bar wasn't overly busy.

Location is very good, close by Cliffs of Moher and Lahinch.

The big fault that I had with the hotel was the room we were in first backed on to the Gents toilets in the foyer. The noise was simply intolerable both from running water but dated plumbing which was extremely noisy, we first thought it was the fire alarm going off! In fairness, we were moved straight away when we complained. It's a real pity as I'm not sure that we'll return to the hotel given our experience with the noise. Had we not been put in that room we would have been none the wiser. So, if you stay here and are placed in Room 445, ask straight away to move to another room. And hotel management, why not consider closing that room altogether if the problem can't be fixed.

• Stayed February 2013
FallsHotel, Manager at Falls Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Hello TripAdvisor Member,

Thanks for the feedback about your recent stay with us at the Falls Hotel & Spa.
I regret to hear about your experience with noise in the room but based on your review we are certainly going to look into finding a solution for the problem.
I hope that the short term solution of finding you a different room immediately was an adequate action to improve the quality of your stay.
This negative on your stay will hopefully not outweigh the positives of staying at the Falls that you also mentioned and with that in mind I sincerely hope that you consider another visit to our hotel again.

Falls Hotel & Spa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennistymon
Cliffs of Moher Hotel
The Old Ground
#1 of 9 in Ennis
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,479 reviews
Lahinch Golf & Leisure Hotel

Been to Falls Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!