“Very dated, food NOT GOOD!”
Review of Falls Hotel & Spa

Falls Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ennistymon
Wexford, Ireland
“Very dated, food NOT GOOD!”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Apart from the view from the hotel, its quiet location and the swimming pool it doesnt have much else that impressed us. The rooms are very dated, first we were booked into had no bath and as we had advised the staff when booking a month previous that we had a 3 month old baby and a bath was essential rather than shower, I was not a happy camper. Eventually due to a cancelation we were moved to a different room. The food in the restaurant was not good, we ate there as we had a meal included with the room rate but I would strongly advise to just book your room and not include dinner. Even the nuggets and veg on the kids menu was not good. Only thing I liked about the dinner was the view and unfortunately we couldnt eat that

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
FallsHotel, Manager at Falls Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear TripAdvisor Member,
I’m sorry that you were not impressed with the hotel following your recent stay with us. Out of the 140 bedrooms in the hotel 40 of them have the large shower only and no bath and I must apologise for the oversight in the allocation of your room. It’s disappointing to hear that you did not like the food either. It’s a pity you didn’t make us aware of this while you were dining as we would have being able to solve the issue there and then as normally we get good feedback about our food. At all times we want our guests to enjoy all aspects of the hotel and its facilities and I’m sorry that you felt this was not the case during your stay.
Sales & Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed November 6, 2012

First review, We (my wife and I) stayed here recently. On arrival we were greeted by a very nice receptionist Omar, He assigned room 302 and gave us the directions to the room. The lobby area is nice and fresh spacious with lots of couches and areas for a quiet drink or read. Our room was on the third floor which was one floor down from reception. Once we got into the room we were disappointed it just seemed dull and dingy. Almost as if it hadn't seen much traffic in a long time. The decor seemed to be quite old and there was a large patch of black hairy mold on the bathroom ceiling. As this was a "romantic getaway" we went straight back to reception and asked for a "more modern room" to be as polite as possible. We were told that the room had only been recently refurbished. But there was no problem and we were assigned a new room within minutes. This room 420 was much better and not nearly as dull. It was on a higher floor but still the decor seemed dated. I realize that the hotel is only a three star but you would think that the rooms would be to a certain standard. (let me detail) In this bathroom the shower was in the bath (who takes a bath in a hotel unless its a large Jacuzzi bath) the shower head was too low for me to fit under I'm 6'4" but still it was up to my chin. The shower screen was rickety and didn't fold properly. The side panel on the bath had pieces of the trim missing. There was a large florescent tube for a light in the bathroom also which chugged into life along with the very noisy fan. there was a missing radiator valve cap. They are all small things but put together it adds up to a not very pleasant experience The room Its self although it was a non smoking room did smell a bit stale. There was stains on the carpet too which again there really isn't any need for. All in all the room could have done with a good scrum and some TLC.

The Thai restaurant was nice but again it just felt like it needed a good clean, We were handed a menu earlier in the day to review it before we booked and again this was dirty. The food was very tasty and to a high standard. ( I work in the food service industry and this was nice Thai) The hours did seem a little curtailed though. We arrived for dinner at 8pm and had the usual starters mains and dessert with a bottle of wine. (€80) which was reasonable also. We were still there at approx 9:30 when the staff started cleaning around us. We felt uncomfortable about this and left soon after.

There are parts of the hotel that are nice and clean and modern (leisure center, lobby, Cascades restaurant and Bar. But there are also parts of the hotel that need refreshing. 1st floor, lift opened and it was like the shining (ox blood walls and seriously dated carpet, deserted lobby area here too). This is the only way to the leisure center without going outside.

The Breakfast was ample but it did get busy after 9 ( there is a traffic light system in operation to let guests know this) But again this was not an issue for us as we are early risers. The Cold food was good with a good selection but the hot was disappointing. Deep fried sausages and what seemed to be deep fried pudding very salty and the bacon was the same. there was some form of "scrambled eggs" this I am pretty sure was powdered egg and was cut from a slab of "scrambled eggs". Not very appetizing. The coffee was weak and not very tasty either unfortunately.

The staff in the Hotel were very nice and friendly I couldn't say a bad word about them.

Hope this hasn't bored you all too much but I figure If your going to review something make it detailed.

Don't think I'd go back even though we got this on a pigs back deal.

Room Tip: Get a river room as car park can be busy with leisure center traffic.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Derek K
FallsHotel, Manager at Falls Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Hello TripAdvisor Member,
I’ve read through your very detailed review following your stay with us under the Pigsback offer, which was two nights B&B for two people plus tea/coffee and scones for €99.00 in total. You are correct that we are a three star property. The first room you were allocated was refurbished last year and I’m sorry you didn’t like the décor. The room you were moved to was refurbished two years ago and it’s a pity you didn’t like the bathroom set up and I’ve noted your issue with the shower door and vent.
You are correct that the ground floor which is used to access the leisure club and spa is one of the older corridors.
I’m glad to hear that you found the food and value in the Thai good.
With regard to breakfast, we do not deep fry all our hot food and the scrambled eggs are all made fresh with fresh eggs each morning.
We are a family owned and managed property and we at all time aspire to ensuring that all our guests enjoy their stay with us and I’m sorry that this was not the case for you.
Thank you for the positive comments on our staff.
Cork
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Lovely location with cascades running outside the window. Situated just off the main street on beautiful grounds. Fab walks within the hotel grounds and down to the river. Lovely hotel to stay at while checking out Lahinch and Doolin

Room Tip: Be sure and ask for a river facing bedroom
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hello TripAdvisor Member,
Thank you for taking the time to post your positive review following your Autumn break in the Falls Hotel. I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed the location and the grounds and that you found the hotel lovely. I hope we will get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.
Castlebar, Ireland
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed in the Falls Hotel for 2 nights. The hotel is set on beautiful grounds and has the added attraction of walkways by the river and woods and pet donkeys on the grounds which are a big attraction to all the guests. The staff were lovely and helpful and the requests I made prior to arrival in relation to the room were met. The room was clean and big and heat can be regulated by yourself. We ate in Cascades Restaurant the first night. The food was just gorgeous and a very good selection. We ate in the Bar on the second night. It was nice and good for pub food. perfect for what we wanted.It was Halloween and I have never seen such a fantastic effort made in decorating the hotel.A young man spent all day decorating the reception and bar area!Job very well done.We didn't use the pool but it looked very good. I did use the gym and I thought it was excellant.Good equipment.We didn't use the spa.This hotel was lovely for a relaxed family stay. The town of Ennistymon is quaint but quite.All in all I couldn't fault this hotel, except for maybe one waiter in the Cascades restaurant who needs to smile and look like he is even a little bit happy to be working there!!!!! We had his very unhappy face serving us for dinner and then again for breakfast! The housecleaning staff are exceptionally nice and friendly and we took notice of how many times they spoke to us and smiled! Well done ladys very impressed with your warmth and friendliness! Overall this hotel was lovely and we had a lovely relaxing break!

Room Tip: Send an email before travelling if you have any room requirements.They strived very hard to meet my...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank M K
FallsHotel, Manager at Falls Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Hello TripAdvisor Member,
Thank you for the lovely review you posted following your Halloween stay with us. I’ll pass your comments on the theming to our manager John who provided all the Halloween entertainment and decorating for the Halloween break. I’m glad you enjoyed the food and facilities. I’m sorry that you found one staff member unlike all the other staff who are nice and friendly.
I hope we will get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon and thank you for taking the time to post your remarks.
Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stayed at the falls for two nights., attending stunning gig and had travelled from Wicklow to attend.Decided to stay for 2 nights as hotel looked from website would be a real treat. Hotel is in a beautiful setting. Interior is a little bit dated. Quality of food was good, however Quality of service was not so good. We ate in the restaurant on the fist night and thai on second night. Due to concert in hotel, restaurant was very busy the second night but staff struggled under the pressure , after waiting 30 mins to order, the dish presented was not that ordered. Bedrooms are spacitious but very dated with poor shower over bath and a rock hard bed. We were on sixth floor next to a family who were awake playing and screaming with their children from 6am both mornings, yet had the audacity to ask us to stop talking on our way back to our room the second night as there were children asleep.. overall I would recommend the hotel as a place to stay, primarily because of its location, and would return, however would qualify that recommendation based on the good value, location and great Gym and Pool.

Room Tip: from reading other reviews..not the sixth floor!! go lower with a falls view!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank croghanmoira
Hello TripAdvisor Member,
I’ve read your review following your stay with us over the Halloween break. I’m glad to hear that you found the quality of the food good, the bedrooms spacious and the setting beautiful.
I’m sorry that you thought the décor to be dated and that you received poor service in the restaurant the night of the Stunning gig. It a shame to hear that you were disturbed by your neighbours each morning and I regret this happening to you.
I hope that this has not put you off visiting the hotel again as we at all-time strive to provide all our guests with a relaxing and enjoyable stay with good food and friendly service.
Thank you for making us aware of the issues.
Lancashire
Reviewed November 1, 2012

The setting is beautiful, the attached spa is excellent and the public rooms don't disappoint for a popular wedding venue, however, for the individual traveller looking for a comfortable stay, it is a different matter.
Our room had rather dismal decor, not helped by the fact that two light bulbs weren't working when we arrived. Three attempts later, the bulbs were fixed the next morning but not without staff entering the room without knocking. Knocking was necessary as the snip on the door didn't stop anyone with a key from entering.
This room was on the 4th floor, the same floor as reception. It was noisy, not just because a large wedding was being held on one of the nights we stayed and it was the main thoroughfair, but also because the doors shut with a loud slam, no matter how quiet we tried to be.
The breakfasts were unimaginative, there was no menu (that we could find) - it was guessing game as to what was under the lids of each container that a member of staff dished out. My husband looks forward to a full Irish/English breakfast when he is away but he couldn't eat the undercooked bacon and sausage and resorted to toast.
Finally, I would be very wary of cleanliness issues. Besides the stains on the back of the bathroom door which was a simple oversight perhaps, there is the matter of the socks (or were they underpants?), covered in dust, wedged at the head of the bed. The response from reception was certainly not as concerned as I was, but they were removed when the cleaner came in later that day.
We gave full feedback on the form when we left. We also gave feedback on the automatic request received via email. It is now over 3 weeks since we left and we have not had any response. Perhaps this will elicit some response?

Room Tip: Don't accept a room on the 4th floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello TripAdvisor Member,
I’m sorry to hear that you were not happy with your recent stay in the hotel. The floor you stayed on is a busy corridor which was refurbished a couple of years ago and is normally popular with guests due to its location close to the bar and lobby. The bulbs issue should have being attended to immediately and please accept my apology that it took until the following morning.
With regard to a menu at breakfast, during busy periods we don’t normally provide one but we do provide an extensive hot and cold buffet and I must apologise that you felt that the selection and quality was not good.
We do have high standards of cleanliness in the hotel and I must apologise for the oversight in your room.
We at all times aspire to providing all our customers with a high standard of service and facilities in a warm, friendly and relaxing atmosphere and I’m sorry that you did not experience this during your stay.
With regard to your complaint via email I’ve gone through our records and there is no such email so I’m sorry that you were frustrated thinking that we had ignored your complaint. Our policy is to reply to all emails received.
I hope that you can accept my apology.
Prince George, BC, CANADA
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Short walk past adorable donkey's and beautiful water falls to town. Eat at the restaurant overlooking the falls, good food with a view. The hotel grounds are lovely, room is nice with a claw tub in the living room with beautiful views.

Room Tip: top floor, away from busy street, a view would be nice
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello TripAdvisor Member,
I’m delighted to read how much you enjoyed our hotel and the grounds surrounding it. Thank you for taking the time to post your review and I hope we will get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Sales & Marketing Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennistymon
Cliffs of Moher Hotel
#1 of 3 in Spanish Point
Bellbridge House Hotel
Bellbridge House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Spanish Point

Been to Falls Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!