“Not for me!”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Ireland
“Not for me!”
Reviewed September 2, 2010

When I saw the prices on their sit-down menu I couldn't believe it. Eventually we got a takeaway that was OK as chinese take-aways go and 1/2 price compared to the restaurant menu; We had worked out that a meal for 2 adults and 2 kids was going to work out around 80-90 euros!!!! No way! I have to add when I complained and said that was ridiculous, and since we had eaten the prawn-crackers while reading the menu, we suddenly say 2 burly chinese men appeared at the door and looking at us strangely..... Not sure what would have happened if we hadn't gone for the take-away!!! We still laugh about our experience in The Emperor...

1 Thank Emma&Kieran

Long Island, New York
“It was OK”
Reviewed August 17, 2010

Have been traveling through Ireland for over a week and wanted something a little different for dinner. Food was OK. Prices are high. Would try someplace else next time.

1 Thank LIGrammy
Carlow, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Average food, decent portions, a little pricey”
Reviewed August 1, 2010

The first thing that struck me when I read the menu was the price of the starters; I don't think anything was less than €8. This surprised me for what turned out to be a run-of-the-mill Chinese restaurant. To start, I ordered spring rolls with chicken and my partner ordered chicken satay skewers. The two spring rolls were small, cut in half and served on a bed of lettuce; not exactly value for money. On the other hand, my partners starter consisted of FOUR generous chicken skewers which she couldn't finish, so I helped out as I still had plenty of room after my meagre starter.
For the main course I went for Szechuan Beef while my partner opted for Kung Po Chicken. Both were tasty, served in very generous portions and were quite hot with plenty of large chili pieces scattered throughout. The rice served with these courses was perfectly acceptable without being in any way remarkable.
We were so full we couldn't manage desert but we did enjoy the complimentary fruit salad that we shared.
Service was very fast. The waiting staff were smartly dressed, very polite and attentive throughout our meal. At times they were a little over zealous and their attentiveness bordered on the intrusive. It seems incorrect to criticise on this basis though, especially when basic politeness and manners are a scarcity in many dining establishments.
The bill came to €62 for two starters, two mains and two beers which I thought was a little pricey. In fact we noticed a table of guests walked out without ordering on the basis of the pricing.
Overall the service was good and the food was tasty without being anything remarkable but it's probably a little overpriced

1 Thank Better_Red
Co Clare, Ireland
“Worst Chinese Food Ever at The Emperor Chinese in Lahinch”
Reviewed July 16, 2010

My wife and I were taken to the Emperor Restaurant in Lahinch for dinner. This is located in a part of the Lahinch Golf and Leisure Hotel. The couple with us had a one year old child. The wait staff was very courteous and helpful and the decor is love.y But the food is awful. The noodles were greasy and the sauce too salty. The calamari were cooked to death, very tough and rubbery. The chicken that I tasted one forkful of seemed a bit off and I spit it out. Later that same night my wife my wife had terrible diarrhea and vomiting - she was the only one to order the chicken.
To to it off, the bill was well over €120 for four people. The restaurant is nothing like one would expect from Chinese restaurants, even by Irish standards. Poor quality food and terribly over-priced. We would never go back and we'd advise you to avoid it as well. I complained to the hotel but they said they had nothing to do with the restaurant. I complained to the restaurant but they gave me the brush-off.
This place is best avoided.

7 Thank woodflute