“Great location but needs love...”

The Inn at Dromoland
Brisbane, Australia
“Great location but needs love...”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We've stayed at the Clare Inn before some 3 years ago and wanted to see if there had been any remarkable improvements. Unfortunately, no! The reception and ground floor are in the process of a make-over but the rooms and the general condition of the hotel is quite disappointing. There is another name change but the hotel is still suffering. The bar staff are very good and the food available is satisfactory but top priced. Being long-term travellers, we use the internet extensively to forward book accommodation. This was NOT possible during our 3 day stay as the system was 'down' and there wasn't anyone who knew what to do. This is not satisfactory for a place that says it has internet WiFi. The best staff could offer was to use the reception computer, but not for long. We didn't use the swimming facilities but the smell of the pool chlorine was very noticeable.
Overall, a great location spoiled its tired and worm appearance. When the make-over is finished, it's hoped the hotel addresses its pricing structure to attract back guests. Previous management offered 'over 50s' special deals.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the golf course at the front
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Shamrock-Estates
ClaireCoughlan, Manager at The Inn at Dromoland, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Shamrock-Estates,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your stay with us at the Inn at Dromoland. We are in the process of carrying out refurbishment to the hotel and I am glad you saw the work we had done to our reception and lobby area.

I sincerely apologise for the issues that you encountered with the wi-fi throughout your stay. We were having problems with our provider which has now been rectified but you should have been informed of this during your stay.

We have also put some packages together for Over 55's and they are now up on our website.

I hope that you we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Deputy Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Tullamore, Ireland
Reviewed May 15, 2013

spent a long weekend at this place 2 weeks ago, its been a while since we visited the hotel and while it has been updated a bit " paint, curtains and carpets " its basically the same dated place with a different name.
food has improved a bit but the menu the same as 2 years ago,
had to go looking for fresh towels each morning and had to buy milk and sugar and teabags in Ennis as none was available when we went looking for them.
The sign in the bar clearly says " no children after 8pm " but when I left the bar at 10.30pm there was 10-12 kids running riot around the bar and they continued this long after that up and down the corridors,
I rang down to reception to complain about the noise and was told that someone would look into it, they never did.
somebody needs to take this place by the scruff of the neck and make it work or next time it will close for good.

Room Tip: anywhere except at this hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank kevmal
Dear kevmal,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay with us at The Inn at Dromoland. I am extremely disappointed to read your comments about your stay and I sincerely apologise. I will be speaking to the various heads of departments regarding your comments.

We are in the process of refurbishing the hotel and I hope that you will give us another opportunity to show you the work that we are doing to the hotel.

Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Driving up to the grounds and entrance we thought the reservation we made online was worthwhile, but we were sorely mistaken. We were looking for something close to Shannon airport, but should have paid better attention to the reviews. The interior is quite old, service was mediocre at reception and in the pub. Room was acceptable but very outdated. We wouldn't consider staying here again unless it was dramatically revitalized and wouldn't have stayed here tonight either if the price wasn't so cheap (€60).

• Stayed May 2013
5 Thank traceydee333
Dear traceydee333,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us at The Inn at Dromoland. I am disappointed to read your comments about the service at the bar and reception and I will be speaking to the relevant managers about this.

We are in the process of refurbishing the hotel and I hope that you will consider returning to the hotel in the future and you can see the improvements to the hotel.

Cork, Cork, Ireland
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I am just back from a stay here and it was terrible.Swimming pool was awful pool was freezing and the staff working there had no customer sevice skills.I was here with my young son our room was dated stains on carpet and bathroom was a disgrace.I would never stay in this hotel again.Food in the bar Friday night was very slow and awful when it arrived. Receptionists on the Friday evening when we arrived were not very friendly and didnt give us any information regarding brekfast or facilities of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Carol M
Dear CarolM,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us at The Inn at Dromoland. I am extremely disappointed to read your review and I sincerely apologise for the stay you had while you were here. This is not the kind of experience we want any of our guests to have and it is not typical of what we aim to provide here at the hotel.

I will be speaking to the Reception Manager about the procedures for checking in guests and providing all the relevant information as this needs to be passed down through the team.

I would love to invite you back to the hotel in the future and if you would like to contact me prior to your stay I would be happy to look after you. My email is claire.coughlan@theinnatdromoland.ie

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed here over st.patricks weekend. Family of 4 with 2 children aged 6 and 3.We had chosen to stay at this hotel specifically for the swimming pool but it was shabby,railings were loose,showers were cold,hairdryer was rubbish and wouldn't dry anything.There were mirrors badly placed in changing rooms and glass pannelled doors seperating shower and changing areas...which meant all could be seen. During our stay everybody was complaining about the pool area and people were coming out of the pool and walking straight to their rooms in their towels.So many were doing this there was a constant stream.We didn't return to the pool after the 1st experience which we were all disappointed about.I just couldn't do it again.Other hotels we had stayed in we spent so much time in the pool,hoped to do the same here.Children loved the kids club,playground,crazy golf,games room,playcentre and the staff were all lovely...food was nice too.I had e-mailed the hotel after our trip and said we liked the hotel,would like to return but pool area was so disappointing we would hope for improvements.I never got a reply.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank princessesmam
Dear princessesmam,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us at the Inn at Dromoland. I am pleased that for the most part you enjoyed your stay but I am disappointed to read your comments regarding the leisure centre. I have spoken to the Leisure Centre Manager regarding the issues you raised and we are working on rectifying the issues that you raised.

The email that you sent to the hotel after your stay was not passed on to me and I apologise that nobody got back to you.

I would like to welcome you back to the hotel in the future so I can show you that we are working to rectify the issues you raised. If you would like to come back please contact me prior to your stay. My email is claire.coughlan@theinnatdromoland.ie

Kind Regards
London
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Very disappointing. The hotel is well situated and has nice views out front. Our room however was damp and shabby. Visible damp patches on the walls leading to plaster blistering and coming away from the structure. Shabbily painted piping and yellowing 1970's phone, hairdryer etc. And we had paid over €100... To be frank, it was totally substandard and disgraceful. I'm Irish and I hate to think of any foreign visitor being showed to this room. Almost immediately we realised we could not comfortably accept the room so we asked to be moved. On the positive side, the manager was prompt and accomodating, and showed us to an upgraded room in the front of the hotel, which was better, however still showed very clear signs of ageing and need for modernisation.

I got the clear feeling that the hotel addresses two needs. First, as a venue for local weddings / parties etc, and second, as overspill for weddings at Dromoland Castle which is nearby. I have since heard that Dromoland Castle have bought the Clare Inn which sounds like a sensible business move on Dromoland's part, however to make the Clare Inn an acceptable choice at the price point, it will need millions spent on it. A total overhaul and modernisation project is needed.

Had we not been moved, and taken care of by a gracious manager, I would have ranked my experience as 'terrible'. This hotel could and should be so much more, but in my opinion has become somewhat symbolic of the trouble that the Irish economy is going through - tired, and in need of a good shakeup.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Deero
Dear Deero,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Inn at Dromoland. I am extremely disappointed to read your review. I sincerely apologise that you did not enjoy your stay with us as this is not the view we want any of our guests to leave the hotel with.

We have begun some refurbishment to the hotel and we have currently 25 bedrooms refurbished and we do plan on commencing more refurbishment before the end of this year. We are acting and working really hard to improve the hotel.

Thank you for your feedback and we will definitely use this to help improve the hotel

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed here last Saturday for a family birthday party. This is the first place where I have come down for breakfast and reminded them that I am dairy and gluten free, to be told -"Thats fine, just tell us what you would like and we will cook it seperately" Gluten free available and fab decaf coffee too.
Waiting and Reception staff were extremely helpful, even though the place was really busy, with the overflow from a big wedding in Dromoland Castle and a lot of holy communion parties going on.
Our room, one of the refurbished rooms was excellent and more than comfortable.
If you are going to be staying with family this is the place to be. A playroom for younger children and a games room for adolescents.
I have only two very small issues, which really were not that much of a problem.
1. There were a lot of younger children running around the corridors unsupervised, they were having fun, but could easily have run into an elderly person who was not so agile and could have been an accident waiting to happen.
2. While the whole place was lovely, the bedding , which was perfectly clean, could have been softer, it was quite abrassive. Perhaps the management would like to look at upgrading the bedding too?

Thank you for a lovely stay, will be back again soon

Room Tip: It's worth the upgrade, they are lovely rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank EnigmaDublin
Dear EnigmaDublin,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us at The Inn at Dromoland. I am delighted to read your review and I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Kind Regards
Deputy Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket-on-Fergus
Dromoland Castle Hotel
Treacys West County Conference & Leisure Hotel
The Old Ground
The Old Ground
#1 of 9 in Ennis

Been to The Inn at Dromoland? Share your experiences!