“My wedding at Clare inn”

The Inn at Dromoland
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I had my wedding in September in Clare inn. I must say I was extremely happy. The food was excellent and the staff couldn't do enough for me and my family. My presidential suite was fab and comfy. I also saw other rooms and they were lovely also. There was no complaints from any of my guests and a great day was had by all. I would like to thank the staff and management for all there help.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Inn at Dromoland

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I've eaten here several times, and the food is always great, and the staff helpful. Also convenient is its location, not far from Limerick and Shannon, just off the motorway.

I'm writing this time because I feel I have to compliment them on their service at a wedding I attended there last weekend. I liked the fact that food was provided while guests were waiting for the meal, but the star performance was the meal itself. As usual, the food was excellent - what was not usual was that this was for a sit-down meal for 320 people. Kudos! Although the mains took an eternity to arrive (understandably), the kitchen held up and the food was still par excellence.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I recently stayed here with my husband for a friends wedding on the 14th February 2013. Upon arrival we were greeted with a warm and welcoming smile from the lady who checked us in which only took a few mins . We proceeded to our room and it was not what i expected . The room was huge with a double bed and 2 single beds , I was quite surprised . The only thing that let the room down was the size of the bathroom and the radiator was splattered with looked like a red wine stain and whilst i attempted to remove it nothing , it wouldnt come off . We were attending a friends wedding in Dromoland Castle so when we arrived back to our room that night at around 12.30 there was no sign of any one on the reception like a night porter. We could have been anyone . Went to breakfast the next morning and i thought wow there was a lovely selection of scones ,cereals, croissants etc on the cold buffet and a lovely cooked breakfast on the hot buffet . Very very impressed as im a chef myself . I couldnt fault the breakfast nor the service , very polite staff . We then ventured back to our room so we could get our bags to check out and we were greeted by a load of guys working on renovating the ground floor of the hotel . Not very impressive as there was a lot of dust along the corridor . I can understand they are trying to upgrade the hotel but maybe they could have closed that section off to the guests . any how upon our checkout we were greeted by a different lady on the reception desk and she never even smiled or asked us had we enjoyed our stay . Personally she was very friendly and thats bad CUSTOMER SERVICE. overall thats the only downfall to our stay . I would return again for a short break with my husband and son . Greeat location and good value for money except they should include breakfast in the price

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank fifi1975
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Just back from a family 2 night break at clare inn found the family room very clean and the staff great, food was fine your normal hotel grub big hearty breakfast ,kids loved the hotel games room and swimming pool. Great location for local attractions.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Hotel was fine, standard room, kids facilities were very good, very large play area up the back.
The food service was a totally different story.....
6 of us stayed and went down for our dinner on the first night and were met by a q of people waiting, 1 woman from near the front of the q stormed off telling everyone she was 20 minutes standing there in a restaurant with only a few tables full. We said we'd hang on a few minutes because we had a hungry 1 year old with us. More people were leaving their tables as we were queuing and all very angry.
25 minutes later we were seated in a restaurant with with i'd guess from memory 150 capacity and 30 people in it. We must have been passed by 40 times before we finally got our menus, another 20 minutes later without any apology we managed to order food, we asked for the baby's to be brought as quickly as possible. After nearly 45 minutes starters arrived, no sign of the baby's food. took us from leaving our room to getting starters a crazy 2 hours 10 minutes.
One server mentioned when i asked that they were very busy in the bar for food and that was the delay. By this time though whatever football match that was on had finished and the service turned to the opposite, our main courses were thrown onto our table before anyone had finished starters, and still no sign of the baby's food, she ended up eating some of my food and was full before her food eventually came with the desserts.
There was no manager there to talk to but i decided to email reception and ask for it to be forwarded to the GM when her was in.
PATRICK KILBANE, the GM replied to me the next day after we had left with a 10 word reply and actually offer no answers or no apology either for what was the worst food experience i've ever had. 3 and 1/2 hours wasted on a bit of dinner, we should have listened to the people that were leaving after waiting for too long.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Niall M
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stayed for one night in a family room. When getting ready for bed, we pulled back covers to discover makeup on pillow cases, dried blood on throws, and to make things worse, pubic hair on the bed. Disgraceful. Carpets were dirty, room was musty and pretty much just wasn't welcoming. We complained and where moved to another room. Sheets where clean enough, but would never return.

As for full Irish, looked like it was road kill.

• Stayed: December 2012
6  Thank Codycoco
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Stayed here end of December 2012 with my family. We must have got the three worst rooms in the hotel. They were musty/fusty, dirty and the bathroom doors didn't close in two of the rooms. I did make a complaint and the Accomodation Manager (I think) came to see me. She agreed with each and every one of my concerns and wanted to move me to another room, however as we had three rooms, all beside each other, I didn't want to move as she couldn't move all of us. She said she would speak with somebody else about my complaint, but we never heard from her, or anybody else, again.

I would NEVER stay here again and would NEVER recommend this hotel to my worst enemy.

The only plus is that the staff were wonderful, friendly and very attentive (except for Acc. Mgr).
The dining room and bar staff were exceptional.

Mary, Co. Louth

Room Tip: Keep going.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Mary J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket-on-Fergus
The Oakwood Hotel
The Old Ground
The Old Ground
#1 of 9 in Ennis
Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Limerick

Been to The Inn at Dromoland? Share your experiences!