“Worst food service ever experienced”

The Inn at Dromoland
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Hotel was fine, standard room, kids facilities were very good, very large play area up the back.
The food service was a totally different story.....
6 of us stayed and went down for our dinner on the first night and were met by a q of people waiting, 1 woman from near the front of the q stormed off telling everyone she was 20 minutes standing there in a restaurant with only a few tables full. We said we'd hang on a few minutes because we had a hungry 1 year old with us. More people were leaving their tables as we were queuing and all very angry.
25 minutes later we were seated in a restaurant with with i'd guess from memory 150 capacity and 30 people in it. We must have been passed by 40 times before we finally got our menus, another 20 minutes later without any apology we managed to order food, we asked for the baby's to be brought as quickly as possible. After nearly 45 minutes starters arrived, no sign of the baby's food. took us from leaving our room to getting starters a crazy 2 hours 10 minutes.
One server mentioned when i asked that they were very busy in the bar for food and that was the delay. By this time though whatever football match that was on had finished and the service turned to the opposite, our main courses were thrown onto our table before anyone had finished starters, and still no sign of the baby's food, she ended up eating some of my food and was full before her food eventually came with the desserts.
There was no manager there to talk to but i decided to email reception and ask for it to be forwarded to the GM when her was in.
PATRICK KILBANE, the GM replied to me the next day after we had left with a 10 word reply and actually offer no answers or no apology either for what was the worst food experience i've ever had. 3 and 1/2 hours wasted on a bit of dinner, we should have listened to the people that were leaving after waiting for too long.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Niall M

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stayed for one night in a family room. When getting ready for bed, we pulled back covers to discover makeup on pillow cases, dried blood on throws, and to make things worse, pubic hair on the bed. Disgraceful. Carpets were dirty, room was musty and pretty much just wasn't welcoming. We complained and where moved to another room. Sheets where clean enough, but would never return.

As for full Irish, looked like it was road kill.

• Stayed: December 2012
6  Thank Codycoco
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Stayed here end of December 2012 with my family. We must have got the three worst rooms in the hotel. They were musty/fusty, dirty and the bathroom doors didn't close in two of the rooms. I did make a complaint and the Accomodation Manager (I think) came to see me. She agreed with each and every one of my concerns and wanted to move me to another room, however as we had three rooms, all beside each other, I didn't want to move as she couldn't move all of us. She said she would speak with somebody else about my complaint, but we never heard from her, or anybody else, again.

I would NEVER stay here again and would NEVER recommend this hotel to my worst enemy.

The only plus is that the staff were wonderful, friendly and very attentive (except for Acc. Mgr).
The dining room and bar staff were exceptional.

Mary, Co. Louth

Room Tip: Keep going.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Mary J
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed in hotel over the weekend for 2 nites. Don't usually write reviews but felt I had to disagree with some of the comments on this site. We book 3 rooms , 2 double and 1 family. After reading reviews I was very worried about what hotel would be like especially heat in rooms. Our stay from start to finish was perfect. The staff from reception to bar staff waiters breakfast staff and housekeeping were excellent. The receptionist looked after everything and even organised for special morning papers to be delivered to hotel. Our room was lovely and very warm. We had in interconnecting room so it was great. Food was lovely on both occasions we ate there and breakfast was great. Location is brilliant. Kids loved the games room and hotel is very child friendly which makes things a lot easier. Hotel is going through refurbishments but there is no work going on in front of u to interrupt ur stay. Bar was cosy and warm and very spacious. Really think you should visit this hotel as reviews really were not justified. Would definitely stay again. Well done to all the staff on their courteous helpful and welcoming manner.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Martsinn
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Just back from this hotel. I stayed for two nights with my husband and 3 children. My friends also stayed with their 2 children.

Having frequented a number of 4-5 star hotels in my time, I was expecting to walk into an episode of Fawlty Towers after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. My friend chose the hotel given its proximity to Aillwee Caves and Bunratty. We were visiting Santa at the Caves so felt that the pool would be of interest to our children.

We were greeted by warm friendly staff. The hotel looked a bit shabby on the outside but the inside was very warm and very welcoming. The food was very well priced and perfectly edible. In fact, the food was quite good. We all ate well and I really can't complain. Its not top notch, but the prices reflect this. Basically, its good value hearty food. Breakfast was good.

The rooms were very clean. We found our room a little cold. We rang reception and had an electric heater in our room within minutes. Perfect!

The pool area is a little dated, however, the changing areas and sauna have recently been refurbished so are in good order. I was informed by a member of staff that the whole pool area is due for refurbishment after Christmas.

The hotel has recently been bought by a larger hotel nearby and is being modernised gradually. There are 2 wonderful function rooms that were being made up for private functions the day we left. This hotel is definitely on the up.

I really can't praise the staff enough. Ignore all the moaners.

All in all we had a very comfortable stay for an incredibly reasonable price.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank monkeyduff
ClaireCoughlan, Manager at The Inn at Dromoland, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear monkeyduff,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us at the Clare Inn Hotel. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us on your recent visit. We are in the process of refurbishment and other areas of the hotel will be completed in the New Year.

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Clare Inn is located near the Shannon Airport and was our first night stay in Ireland for our 7 day journey. Our stay was very pleasant. Our first impression was our check in and the thoughtfulness of the reception - she gave us our room at 8 am (after a red-eye in to Shannon) and she was more than concerned for our being well-fed and with directions for the day for our journey with lots of suggestions! Our trip was off to a great start from her friendliness. For that I give the Clare Inn an A!! Although the hotel was under some renovation - it was clean and spacious. Our room was more than satisfactory and when we requested anything - they responded immediately. The bar and tavern was spacious and service was great as well. We were late getting up the next day due to some jet lag and driving - but they held breakfast buffet open for us! The food was very good. I think under the new management of the prior owners (as I heard) it will be brought back to more current and up to date accommodations. I would stay here again. It is centrally located and an excellent gateway to travel to Galway, Cliffs of Moher, Bunratty Castle and Limerick. A great start if you are flying into Shannon! The local scenery is beautiful and was a good place to get our start of driving the local roads!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear PilgrimBelle,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us at the Clare Inn Hotel. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. Hopefully we will see you back at the hotel should you return to Ireland in the future.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

This is a very comfortable and relaxing hotel with great views and wonderful staff. Its location makes it handy for the Airport and there is a great motorway into Limerick or Ennis. Lovely walks through Dromoland grounds.

Room Tip: one with a view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear neontube,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us at the Clare Inn Hotel. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future

Assistant General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket-on-Fergus
Dromoland Castle Hotel
#2 of 2 in Bunratty
Hotel Woodstock
Hotel Woodstock
#2 of 9 in Ennis

Been to The Inn at Dromoland? Share your experiences!