“December 2012 stacation”

The Inn at Dromoland
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Stayed here end of December 2012 with my family. We must have got the three worst rooms in the hotel. They were musty/fusty, dirty and the bathroom doors didn't close in two of the rooms. I did make a complaint and the Accomodation Manager (I think) came to see me. She agreed with each and every one of my concerns and wanted to move me to another room, however as we had three rooms, all beside each other, I didn't want to move as she couldn't move all of us. She said she would speak with somebody else about my complaint, but we never heard from her, or anybody else, again.

I would NEVER stay here again and would NEVER recommend this hotel to my worst enemy.

The only plus is that the staff were wonderful, friendly and very attentive (except for Acc. Mgr).
The dining room and bar staff were exceptional.

Mary, Co. Louth

Room Tip: Keep going.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Mary J
Write a ReviewReviews (1,308)

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed in hotel over the weekend for 2 nites. Don't usually write reviews but felt I had to disagree with some of the comments on this site. We book 3 rooms , 2 double and 1 family. After reading reviews I was very worried about what hotel would be like especially heat in rooms. Our stay from start to finish was perfect. The staff from reception to bar staff waiters breakfast staff and housekeeping were excellent. The receptionist looked after everything and even organised for special morning papers to be delivered to hotel. Our room was lovely and very warm. We had in interconnecting room so it was great. Food was lovely on both occasions we ate there and breakfast was great. Location is brilliant. Kids loved the games room and hotel is very child friendly which makes things a lot easier. Hotel is going through refurbishments but there is no work going on in front of u to interrupt ur stay. Bar was cosy and warm and very spacious. Really think you should visit this hotel as reviews really were not justified. Would definitely stay again. Well done to all the staff on their courteous helpful and welcoming manner.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Martsinn
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Just back from this hotel. I stayed for two nights with my husband and 3 children. My friends also stayed with their 2 children.

Having frequented a number of 4-5 star hotels in my time, I was expecting to walk into an episode of Fawlty Towers after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. My friend chose the hotel given its proximity to Aillwee Caves and Bunratty. We were visiting Santa at the Caves so felt that the pool would be of interest to our children.

We were greeted by warm friendly staff. The hotel looked a bit shabby on the outside but the inside was very warm and very welcoming. The food was very well priced and perfectly edible. In fact, the food was quite good. We all ate well and I really can't complain. Its not top notch, but the prices reflect this. Basically, its good value hearty food. Breakfast was good.

The rooms were very clean. We found our room a little cold. We rang reception and had an electric heater in our room within minutes. Perfect!

The pool area is a little dated, however, the changing areas and sauna have recently been refurbished so are in good order. I was informed by a member of staff that the whole pool area is due for refurbishment after Christmas.

The hotel has recently been bought by a larger hotel nearby and is being modernised gradually. There are 2 wonderful function rooms that were being made up for private functions the day we left. This hotel is definitely on the up.

I really can't praise the staff enough. Ignore all the moaners.

All in all we had a very comfortable stay for an incredibly reasonable price.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank monkeyduff
ClaireCoughlan, Manager at The Inn at Dromoland, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear monkeyduff,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us at the Clare Inn Hotel. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us on your recent visit. We are in the process of refurbishment and other areas of the hotel will be completed in the New Year.

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Clare Inn is located near the Shannon Airport and was our first night stay in Ireland for our 7 day journey. Our stay was very pleasant. Our first impression was our check in and the thoughtfulness of the reception - she gave us our room at 8 am (after a red-eye in to Shannon) and she was more than concerned for our being well-fed and with directions for the day for our journey with lots of suggestions! Our trip was off to a great start from her friendliness. For that I give the Clare Inn an A!! Although the hotel was under some renovation - it was clean and spacious. Our room was more than satisfactory and when we requested anything - they responded immediately. The bar and tavern was spacious and service was great as well. We were late getting up the next day due to some jet lag and driving - but they held breakfast buffet open for us! The food was very good. I think under the new management of the prior owners (as I heard) it will be brought back to more current and up to date accommodations. I would stay here again. It is centrally located and an excellent gateway to travel to Galway, Cliffs of Moher, Bunratty Castle and Limerick. A great start if you are flying into Shannon! The local scenery is beautiful and was a good place to get our start of driving the local roads!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear PilgrimBelle,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us at the Clare Inn Hotel. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. Hopefully we will see you back at the hotel should you return to Ireland in the future.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

This is a very comfortable and relaxing hotel with great views and wonderful staff. Its location makes it handy for the Airport and there is a great motorway into Limerick or Ennis. Lovely walks through Dromoland grounds.

Room Tip: one with a view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear neontube,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us at the Clare Inn Hotel. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future

Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

The M18 runs straight past the hotel. Stay on it and go to Galway if u know what's best. Rooms cold and decor terrible, also painted paper covering walls was bubbling due to the poor condition and mold growing underneath. Old windows in rooms let cold air in causing rooms to be cold & radiators so old they haven't the power to keep room even luke warm. Swimming pool in need of update and smell coming from sauna and jacuzzi. Hotel food good though bar area very cold as was the rooms. Kids club poor but Dennis Den good but cold. Overall hotel owners should either close place down and refurbish to a good standard or close place down. No hotel should be left in a 1970's state. Sorry to be honest but that is what TripAdviser is all about.

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear Dobger24,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us at the Clare Inn Hotel. I am disappointed to see that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you regarding your stay and would be grateful if you contacted my on claire.coughlan@clareinnhotel.ie

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Hotel needs upgrading, rooms of poor quality, beds not comfy, carpets need cleaning and windows need renewing as the wind blowing through them makes the room cold. Heating cannot deal with cold as very old. Kids club adequate at best though Dennis's Den is good but cold. All in all hotel is poor but simple menus did produce nice food. Wouldn't go back sorry

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear Dobger24,

Assistant General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket-on-Fergus
Dromoland Castle Hotel
#2 of 9 in Ennis
The Oakwood Hotel
The Oakwood Hotel
#2 of 3 in Shannon

Been to The Inn at Dromoland? Share your experiences!