Dromoland Castle Hotel
The Inn at Dromoland(Newmarket-on-Fergus)(Great Value!)
$129
$103
Cahergal Farmhouse(Newmarket-on-Fergus)
Travelocity
3,737 results
All reviewsgolf coursehawk walkwalled gardenfelt like royaltybeautiful groundsdream come truefig treefalconry experienceclay shootingcocktail barhorseback ridinggolf clubthe main dining roomour honeymoonpony and traponce in a lifetimedrawing room
Reviewed February 15, 2010

We stayed here for two nights. On the first night we were woken at 5.30am by noise from the adjoining room. The family occupying the room were leaving the hotel and we could hear everything from hairdryers to the children singing. The reason for this was that there was an interconnecting door between the two rooms. We rang to complain and the following morning complained in person. The receptionist apologised and assured us that the adjoining room would be unoccupied for our second night. We initially accepted this but having considered the matter felt that it was a fairly week response. We asked to speak to the Manager and did so. We were very unimpressed by this individual. He told us that we had to expect a degree of noise in a hotel and very much gave us to understand that we were the problem. Eventually we were upgraded but in a very begrudging manner. The next day at breakfast the same manager who was visiting the various tables did not approach ours if even to ask us how we had gotten on the second night. Similarly when we checked out we were not even asked if we had enjoyed our stay. We are a young couple and had booked the weekend as a Valentine’s package. We wonder if we had not been young and had not been there on a package whether we would have received the same treatment. We have stayed in a number of 5 star hotels both in Ireland and abroad and this was definitely not a 5 star experience.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Seanol
Reviewed February 5, 2010

We stayed in both Dromoland and Ashford Castles on this trip. I prefered Dromoland as the staff were friendlier (both castles had outstanding service though). Also Dromoland is easier to get to from the main roads. The rooms were not castle-like inside, but regular, extremely nice hotel rooms. Wired internet connection (no wireless except in the restaurant part of the building).

When you book, ask if you can book a tour of the castle. If this is done well in advance, one of the O'Brien clan can be your guide. I do not know the cost of this.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fromORD
Reviewed January 27, 2010

Weekend stay at the hotel for a family birthday. Beautiful hotel, very comfortable spacious rooms, fabulous food with staff who go that extra yard to make sure you are well looked after. If I could find a fault it would be that the Gym/Swimming pool are a bit of a hike from the main hotel. Looking forward to a return stay.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 20, 2010

This was the best place I have ever stayed in. It was like a fairy tail. The ride up to the hotel was breathtaking. I actually couldn't believe I was staying in this fantastic place. We had a room on the second floor (first floor in Ireland) and just going up the staircase was a fantastic experience. The walls have wonderful art work and the whole atmosphere just screams elegance.
The room was gigantic. We had two lovely beds that were so comfortable. We also had a seating area with a couch and a chair and tables. There were chocolates awaiting us and had a wonderful room overlooking the front drive. I could have sat there for hours just admiring it.
The food was excellent. Breakfast was wonderful and the dining area was beautiful. I really felt like I was in someone's home on one of those English country home week-ends that I have read so much about.
There is not much more that I can add but to say that it was a wonderful experience and well worth the splurge. I felt like royalty and it was unforgettable.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 14, 2009

My partner and I recently stayed as we had just gotten engaged. The staff were very friendly, the setting was beautiful and the room was the nicest we have ever stayed in. It may be a bit pricey but worth it for those special occasions.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple