“Heaven on Earth.”

Dromoland Castle Hotel
Hayden, Idaho
“Heaven on Earth.”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Superb staff..very helpful and they arent stuffy. Make you feel comfortable always. Easy to talk to. Beautiful place and a wonderful experience! We stayed in 3 five star castles and liked this the best! Falconry guy is wonderful!

Room Tip: Stay in the Castle and not across at whatever it is? The Inn??
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Prumers
Mark_Nolan_GM, General Manager at Dromoland Castle Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Prumers

We are all thrilled that you enjoyed your Dromoland Experience, it is great encouragement for us to receive such positive feedback as it makes all our efforts worthwhile.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Best Wishes

Mark Nolan & All the Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
  • Slovak first
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

Want to be treated like royalty? Consider Dromoland. It's beautiful and I've never seen more attentive service. Personally, I would prefer an air conditioned room but that's the only downside that I can list. We will be happy to return.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Ricky S
Dear Ricky S

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing to stay with us.

We do have a small number of airconditioned rooms available but unfortunately because we are not a purpose built hotel it is not feasible to have airconditioning throughout due to conservation restrictions. We also do not usually experience these humid weather conditions too often in Ireland.

I am delighted that you would stay with us again and hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Firstly I must say that the staff here were amazing. From the front desk to the lounge, the bell men were super nice, top notch. We stayed two nights here and it was very special. No keep in mind that this is an old castle so the room are a little older yes, but the bathroom are very modern and updated, and they had a north american plug ins which was handy. The grounds are amazing. The dinning options are the golf course or the dinning room which is pretty pricey. We had a lovely breakfast every morning lots to choose from. The only thing I would say needs work is the pool/golf course staff. They were not very with it, very slow, and not as warm as the hotel staff. The pool is set apart from the hotel so perhaps its different management. The course was fun to play however. Overall I would stay here again and would send my clients here.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank whatsnext123
Mark_Nolan_GM, General Manager at Dromoland Castle Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear whatsnext123

Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

The Golf Club and Leisure Centre team are under the same management as the hotel, I am very disappointed that your experience there was not as you would have expected. This is very out of character for the staff at the Club House and I will be sure to bring your comments to the attention of the team.

Thank you for your custom and of course we will be delighted to and look forward to welcoming your clients to stay with us.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2014

This was an amazing hotel. I came here with my parents and I loved the Dromoland Castle. The location was breathtakingly beautiful and it was very relaxing and peaceful staying there. You can really let yourself go there and relax. The interior of the castle was amazing, it really felt like we were living in the 19th century. It looked astounding. Some people on this say it needs refurbished but I think that the old style decor makes the hotel even more brilliant. Our room was large and very nice. It was decorated beautifully like a castle, we all felt like royalty sleeping in the spacious room. The facilities are fantastic, there is so much to do. We did paddle boarding which was a laugh, and clay pigeon shooting. There is so much to do at the hotel like archery, horse riding, golf, fishing falconry, tennis and much more. Although I have to say that the tennis courts and balls were very poor and it was incredibly hard to play with the poor equipment. We visited the spa which was very nice and relaxing. I even got a top quality massage which was fab. The downside was that the main pool and the spa are in different buildings so it was kind of annoying walking back and forth all the time. The food in the main restaurant tasted amazing, we almost ate their every night. Fantastic food. We did have an incident in the room that when I was having a shower the door wouldn't open. I tried to open it harder and it wouldn't work. My dad came in and tried to help me. And then the glass door literally shattered with me inside it. The whole door petty much exploded. Luckily I was standing back others I would have been seriously injured. The staff sorted it out kindly like a 5 star hotel would, and the people were very friendly about it. Although you might think that after an incident like that we might have got a discount on something but we didn't. All in all it was a great and brilliant hotel excluding the incident that happened.

Room Tip: I would advise to get a room on the first floor because you get a fantastic view of Dromoland lake...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear dalekjdgc

I am glad that you and your parents enjoyed your stay with us and experienced some of the many Estate activities available. Indeed, our leisure centre and swimming pool are located at the Golf & Country Club which is a very short walk from the main building, however if guests prefer not to walk we are delighted to transfer you in a golf buggy, I hope you were offered this service. Our treatment rooms are located in the main building.

It was a very unfortunate and unlikely incident with your shower door, we are obviously delighted that you were not injured and that you felt our handling of the situation was appropriate and trust that this will not deter you from returning to visit us in the future, please contact me directly to make any future booking.

Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We enjoyed our stay in a tower room at Dromoland, with an excellent view out over the golf course. We had booked a special where we had one dinner and two breakfasts included. We had dinner the first night of our stay, and the food was so wonderful, and the service just over the top perfect - so we ate there again our second night, even though it was very expensive. The same experience at breakfast - the service was very attentive, food delicious.

They have a lovely turn down service in the room. We happened to be in the room one evening for turn down - and it was a treat to watch three maids come in, go efficiently about their tasks, and leave the room after adding those special touches (and chocolate!) Feels like you are really being spoiled.
We are not golfers, so we wanted the experience of staying at Dromoland, but I think two nights was enough. There is not a lot in the area (that we found) to do, so if you are not golfing, or spaing, etc, a few nights, a few great meals, a walk around the lovely grounds (including a beautiful walled garden) and we were all right with moving on.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank suec89
Dear suec89

Thank you for choosing to stay at Dromoland Castle, we are all delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to visit us again in the future.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

We loved the Dromoland castle. The setting was beautiful - within a huge former estate. The interior of the castle was really unique. The decor was of an 1850's manor. The facilities were splendid. They have great areas to walk and have every activity from golf and a spa to working with hawks (raptors). The restaurant was good in the evening and the Irish Breakfast was sumptuous. Probably the best part was the staff. They were incredibly helpful and accommodating. The tone was for our stay was initially set when the day manager if the facility brought us to our room personally. The room rate is quite expensive but we'd definitely recommend it to you if you are willing to splurge and want a relaxing atmosphere with the potential of numerous activities.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark V
Dear Mark V

Thank for you your lovely review, we are thrilled you enjoyed your time with us and the staff are delighted that they made your stay even more special. We very much appreciate your recommendation and look foward to hopefully welcoming you back to visit us again soon

Best Wishes

Park City
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

The grounds of this place are an absolute delight! And it goes downhill from there. Our room was a good size, but was so stuffy, it was difficult to breath. It was cool both outside & in the hallways, so it wasn't as if there was a heat wave. When we called about it, they brought us a small fan. It did nothing. And the management did nothing further, though we complained again as we couldn't sleep, it was so hot in there.

Also, the hallways must have been flooded as all the carpets are wet & stained, making the place look dirty, though the staff does appear to clean & polish daily.

I did love my spa treatment--the spa is modern & very relaxing & my therapist, Leanne, was good.

I enjoyed running around the golf course. The grounds are lovely. A little updating would go a long way.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank parkcityletsgonow
Dear parkcityletsgonow

I am very sorry that your room was hot/stuffy during your stay with us. Unfortunately, not all of our rooms have air conditioning as this is a very old castle and not purpose built so it is not feasible to install throughout the building due to conservation restrictions. We are experiencing some uncharacteristic and very humid weather conditions at present which lead to your room being hard to cool with a fan. I apologise for the inconvenience caused to you.

I am not aware of any flooding in any of the hallways making carpets wet and would like to assure you the housekeeping team make sure that the hotel is in the best condition and cleanliness is our number one priority at all times. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the estate grounds and spa.

Thank you for your feedback pass on to the team.

Mark Nolan - General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket-on-Fergus
The Inn at Dromoland
#2 of 3 in Shannon
Bunratty Manor Hotel
Bunratty Manor Hotel
#1 of 2 in Bunratty

Been to Dromoland Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!