“Simply Marvelous”

Dromoland Castle Hotel
Reviewed May 16, 2014

A princess will enjoy this location as well as the average public! The service were a step above anything I have seen in several countries. Take time to do the bit w/ the “Falcons”. I was not feeling well, but the staff was great. A 15th C castle that has been upgraded to be larger w/ a full spa and golf course. We had a delightful tea in the room of our choice. I order the “light tea” and it was just right. Just walking the grounds is a pure delight. There is a full gym, but I did not get to use it. Wish I had booked an extra night at the end of my tour here. If you can stay 2 nights, that way you can indulge in much more. Lasting memories in this well kept 15th C Castle is a once in a life-time experience. IMHO.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Mark_Nolan_GM, General Manager at Dromoland Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Dear ReenTS

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and have some lovely memories to take away with you. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future, and you stay longer next time!

There are newer reviews for Dromoland Castle Hotel

Reviewed May 14, 2014

All I can say is WOW! Every moment spent at Dromoland was magical. Driving up to the estate, we had special accommodations and was greeted by the Huntsman and his 30 dogs (maybe more, maybe less). I know this isn't the normal welcome wagon, so everyone may not get a chance to enjoy this, but this was amazing. The staff was very friendly and attentive. Service is top notch here!

The grounds to the castle are amazing. If you like to golf, the course is supposed to be spectacular. The decor inside looks like it might have looked back in the day when it was owned by the O'Brian family. Everything looks authentic. Our room was large and cozy, even though it was situated in what I would call the basement, we still had plenty of natural light and could open the windows if it got stuffy. The bathroom was spacious, although our shower could have used some updating. I didn't get a chance to see any other rooms, so I'm not sure what the rest looked like. There were plenty of places to grab a cup of coffee and lounge around near large fireplaces. Breakfast was great. We spent a few nights partying it up in their small bar/lounge that is in the castle, and also hung out in the other restaurant near the golf course, where it's a little more modern and we enjoyed the fireplace there.

Don't miss out on the Hawk Walk! This was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for sure. There was a small group of 5 of us, and all of us had plenty of chances to have one of the 2 Hawks fly back to our gloved hands. This was the coolest experience and our pictures were amazing.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Amanda Z

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Dromoland and indeed for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor. We are all delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon

Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

I've written so many reviews as I love it here. Food last weekend was sensational. Never eaten lamb as good. Outstanding is all I can say. Can't wait for my next visit. Service is incredible except for annoying new sommelier who when asked for recommendation on wine recommended a 360e bottle. Ridiculous. Yes people who frequent here possibly spend many multiples on wine but we'd no interest spending that so thought it ridiculous ! Plus thought it lacked professionalism

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Europesally
Mark_Nolan_GM, General Manager at Dromoland Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Dear Europesally

Thank you for your continued feedback and support, we are delighted you enjoyed your most recent stay with us and look forward to seeing you back soon.

I am very sorry if our new ‘trainee’ Sommelier offended, annoyed or embarrassed you in any way by his very highly priced wine recommendation. As you rightly point out he is new member of the team so is still undergoing training. I am very sorry that he did not gauge the correct price range with you. We appreciate your feedback and will certainly learn from it.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

This is a 5 star property. The beds were very comfortable. The rooms very tidy & clean. The food was out of this world delicious!
Staff was very welcoming. We walked around the property & it is just beautiful. If you have the opportunity to stay here you wont regret it.- I hope to return someday -

1  Thank Susan R

Dear Susan R

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your stay with us on Trip Advisor, and of course your very kind recommendation is much appreciated.

I hope that we have the pleasure in welcoming you back to visit us again soon.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

Although the castle was a little fancier than our usual accommodations, we enjoyed our time there. The staff was very helpful and the breakfast was outstanding. We ended up eating dinner in town though because we didn't have the proper clothes to dine in the dining room.

Dear Barb S

Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor and indeed for choosing to stay with us at Dromoland Castle.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Attended a family wedding here and stayed over. The wedding was magical and memorable not only because of the setting, but also the food, professional service and attention to detail. This extended into our experience of the accomodation with the highlight being the friendly and helpful staff. Unlike some other 5 star establishments, this one was child friendly and 'at ease' with having children around. It really stood out and was not at all contrived - it came very naturally and was much appreciated. Accomodation wise, the beds were generous in size and oh so comfortable! Beautiful, crisp linen. Aside from out own room, we were lucky to see other family members accomodation including the bridal suite. Amazing - especially the views! The atmosphere around the castle is memorable. Really hope to be back one day!

Room Tip: Push the boat out and opt for a view!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kingsey

Dear Kingsey

Thank you for your kind comments which I will pass to the entire team. We were delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and family wedding celebrations with us.

We too hope you have the opportunity to return to visit us again soon!

Best wishes

Reviewed May 3, 2014

We stayed here last month for a family celebration. On arrival at 3pm (the check-in time) we were informed that only one of our two rooms was ready. We had to wait a full hour for the other room to be finished. We were not offered tea or anything while waiting and found the wait an inconvenience as we wanted to change and start using the hotel facilities. I had booked deluxe rooms having stayed in a deluxe room there previously. The rooms we were allocated this time were very comfortable (love the bed) but much smaller than my previous room. The bathrooms in particular were very small with a bath only, no shower. We did have a good view over the lake though. We ate in the Earl of Thomand that evening (food is excellent) and enjoyed cocktails in the bar afterwards (pricey but very tasty). I knew a service charge applied to the meal but was surprised it also seemed to be added to our later drinks order (didn't get a fully itemised bill so hard to tell). Breakfast is exceptional, best hotel breakfast I've ever had. I particularly love the French Toast and the big bowl of strawberries that are available. We really enjoyed our stay, staff were very friendly and helpful. However, I think the hotel is slightly overpriced for what you get, in particular in terms of the room size for our allocated rooms.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Princessinpink222

I am very sorry that both your rooms were not ready for our 3pm check in time and that you were not offered tea/coffee with our compliments as that is our usual standard. I am glad to hear that you found your room comfortable but wonder what room you were in as all our rooms have showers, some however do have the shower in the bath tub?

I am delighted that all other aspects of your stay were enjoyable and look forward to welcoming you back as a regular guest.

Mark Nolan - General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket-on-Fergus
The Inn at Dromoland
#2 of 9 in Ennis
Gregans Castle Hotel
Gregans Castle Hotel
#1 of 2 in Ballyvaughan

Been to Dromoland Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!