“Wow”

Dromoland Castle Hotel
Reviewed July 12, 2013

First class all the way. Exceptional staff, fantastic grounds, terrific food in multiple restaurants, nice spa services (according to my wife) and a great room. It is only 15 minutes from Shannon Airport, but it feels like you are far away from the mundane world. I have stayed in other 5-star hotels, but none with the WOW factor of Dromoland Castle. My first thought as we drove in was, "Are they supposed to let commoners like me into a place like this?"

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Mark_Nolan_GM, General Manager at Dromoland Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear J F

Thank you for your great review. All are welcome at Dromoland and we are delighted that so many come to experience exactly what you have described. We look foward to seeing you again in the not too distant future.

Sincerely

Mark Nolan - General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,601)

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Despite the January cold and occasional rain, my three-night stay at Dromoland ranks as one of my all-time favorite travel experiences and was a fitting end to wonderful week-long, first-tiime visit to Ireland.

Highlights: a fantastic lunch of chowder and Guiness served by an attentive and super-friendly wait-staff at the gorgeous and bright Fig Tree restaurant; the magical grounds--from the myriad trails cutting through the woods to the gardens and golf course; the outdoor covered hydro spa and the spa's exceptional staff (we were treated as if we were the only guests on the property); sipping surprisingly affordable and gloriously strong hot whiskeys near the lounge fireplace; the huge bathrooms and large, modern showers and heated towel rack; the 5-star-quality attention and help of the front-desk staff, who a.) addressed us by name every time we passed by, b.) arranged for a surprisingly affordable private driver who gave us a delighful four-hour tour to the Cliffs of Moher and back, and c.) arranged early morning transport to nearby Shannon Airport.

It was those, and other unique experiences (like finding refuge in a deserted, centuries-old stone hut--one of the golf course's many cool quirks--to escape a driving rain during one of our walks), that made our stay so enjoyable and memorable and will certainly bring us back again. (Next time in warmer weather...although part of the charm of our stay was the fact that we'd go hours without seeing another guest--it really did feel at times like we had the entire castle to ourselves).

(Two relatively minor quibbles: while walking through the wooded area adjacent to the castle and golf course, we spotted at least a dozen empty beverage bottle and cans which appeared to have been there for awhile; and the beds are surprisingly non-luxe and uncomfortable for a resort of this caliber.)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alex K
Mark_Nolan_GM, General Manager at Dromoland Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Alexanderjk

The time has come! As we bask in 30 degrees Celcius it is time for you to make that promised return!

Thank you most sincerely for your terrific feedback and have noted your comments on the comfort of the beds and litter which I have discussed with the relevant departments.

I look foward to welcoming you back very soon!

Yours sincerely

Reviewed July 7, 2013

This was my dream. We went to Scotland and Ireland for two weeks and all I wanted to do was stay in a castle. The next to the last night I got my wish when we stayed here. It is total luxury. From the drive up, to the check in, to the high tea and dinner, the massage, etc, etc, etc. It was my dream come true!!! Everyone was so accommodating, I just can't say enough. Thank you Dromoland Castle!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mindy1024
Mark_Nolan_GM, General Manager at Dromoland Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Mindy 1024

We were all delighted to make your dreams come true! Thanks so much for the lovely feedback which is very much appreciated, and hope we can welccome you back soon

Best wishes from All at Dromoland

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We can't say enough about the staff. First class and five star, everywhere. Rooms were well appointed. Activities were abundant. Drawback were the numerous non guests viewing the grounds during the day, which makes it feel crowded and touristy. For these prices, you should have front gate control and an air of exclusivity. Also, the interior, except for the entrance doesn't feel much like a Castle but more of a hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ssmhawaii

Dear Ssmhawii

Thanks for your feedback on your recent stay at Dromoland, I am very happy that the service levels met your expectations. I take on board your comments about public access to the Estate, we have regularly considered your suggestion. It can be an issue on weekends and we apologize for any inconvienence caused. Maybe it is time for us to revisit our current policy based on your feedback.

With regard to the interior design, our great challenge is to be able to balance the feel of a 16th Century Castle with the demands of the five star luxury traveller but as always appreciate your comments.

Look forward to seeing you soon.

Sincerely

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I love this place. I love it, love it, love it. From beginning to end it was absolutely perfect. I went with my mom and it made our bonding weekend everything and more.
I can't praise the staff enough, they are wonderful. You don't have to think of anything when you are there, they cater to your every need. Nothing is to much of an ask, you need something (even if you might thing you are being fussy) the answer will always be "no problem" or "absolutely". There is always someone there to cater to you, and every single of of them kind, welcoming and all about you.
The food is superb. We had dinner in the main restaurant on one night, and had the five star experience. The food was rich, you are given a bible of a wine list (it's huge!), and again, the waiters are well trained and top class. A few people staying there thought the whole experience to be a bit too much but what else do you expect in a 5* than over the top too much, it's what you are paying for - and I loved it!
I thought the decor was amazing, old style chic, nothing spared. The couches are all seating areas are so comfy and you could be there for hours and time would fly. Unlike others places I've been to where after a while the staff make you feel like you're overstaying your welcome in the seating areas, this place they leave you to it and will make sure you have everything, even chat away to you for a while themselves.
The grounds are amazing. Me and my mom went for a cycle of the grounds and wow, it's beautiful. We also went and did the falconry and that was pretty amazing experience in itself. The young fella who did the falconry with us was so great, calm, very informative and fun.
The gym is small, if you are a gym bunny like me you'd find it underwhelming but it has all the main things you need, but you can make up for it with the swimming and cycling, golf etc.
The spa is worth visiting if you can. We had a full body and facial. I loved it and we relaxed for a while in the relaxing room after for ages and they kept topping us up with drinks and anything we wanted. The jacuzzi outside is pretty nice too if you want a nice soak.
Finally the room is so amazing. We had a view of the lake which was perfect. There were to large double beds for each of us that were really comfy. Also there was a wardrobe each. The room was big enough to lounge around in and the bathroom had a sink each and a really good shower and bath (I tried both).Only thing I could fault in the room was that it got too warm in the room and we could not adjust the heating, keeping the window open didn't help the situation either.
If you don't like parting with your money for an actual 5* experience then don't bother. If you like to be treated like royalty, not have to lift a finger for a few days, and rejuvenate yourself, this is the place for you. We loved this place so much we stayed an extra night! That's how much we loved it. I think that says enough about the place. How I saw it was I was putting the money I would have spent on flights toward this fab experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Laura N

We love you.....we love you.....we love you! Thank you so much for your wonderful comments which I was thrilled to share with the team here. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your Mom back to visit again soon.

We were all struggling a litlte with the freak heatwave, the hotest spell of weather in 10years! I hope it didn't deter from your stay.

Best Wishes from All at Dromoland

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We saved the best for last! There is not any aspect of your stay at Dromoland that we could find fault with. The staff are amazing in every way. Our absolute favorite is Dave Atkins who took us on a Hawk Walk. We learned things about Falconry that we could not have guessed and "Alice" was beautiful. Our room was beautifully appointed and the bathroom large. We wished we could have stayed longer, but were happy we save this for our last two nights in Ireland!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Theresa D

David and Alice (the hawk) were delighted read your kind comments! We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you back again soon.

Best wishes from All at Dromoland

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I hadn't planned it this way, but I put our stay at Dromoland Castle at the end of our trip. After spending ten days touring Ireland and seeing castle ruins in Mallow, taking tours of the castles - such as Blarney, Muckross and Ross Castles, it was thrilling as we drove up to Dromoland Castle to think that we'd actually stay a couple of nights there. It would have been thrilling anyway, as the building and grounds are so beautiful. We were three adult women traveling together, so they made up a triple room for us with three beds. There was plenty of room even with two double beds and a single bed, sofa, lounge chair, table, TV of course, with chests at the ends of the beds for your luggage. The bathroom was very large with separate shower and tub and the water pressure is phenomenal. There's a entry hall with desk where they provide additional American plugs for recharging. We walked around the grounds to see the lily pond and temple, and ended up shadowing one of the falcon tours, which looked great. We decided to take the owl tour, but it was booked up. If you golf... the course looks impressive. We heard the clay shooting going off in the distance, but never made it over to watch. We were never bored, even though we hadn't booked any of the activities. The gift shops had wonderful things at reasonable prices. There were lots of families there. I was impressed with all the children, as they behaved beautifully, even the very young. The service was so great. When we would return to the room, the towels were fresh, the bed linens either turned down or straightened, new bottles of water and new chocolates by the beds.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MMcGarch
Mark_Nolan_GM, General Manager at Dromoland Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear MMcGarch

We are thrilled that you had such a great stay with us recently at Dromoland. I am delighted that we delivered on all aspects of your stay.

I do hope you will come and visit us again in the not too distant future......and as we often say "tell your friends"!

Sincere best wishes

Mark Nolan - General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket-on-Fergus
The Inn at Dromoland
Limerick Strand Hotel
Limerick Strand Hotel
#3 of 20 in Limerick
No. 1 Pery Square Hotel & Spa

Been to Dromoland Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!