“Beautiful Castle Hotel”

Dromoland Castle Hotel
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We recently stayed for three nights in a gorgeous state room. Our room was large, beautifully decorated and overlooked the estate grounds. The state room was well worth the extra cost. We dined in The Earl of Thomond restaurant and the food was amazing - try the souffle for dessert (well worth the 15 minute wait). The spa is outstanding - the relaxation room truly relaxing. Besides the spa in the castle portion of the hotel, there is also a full gym, swimming pool and restaurant in another building on the grounds. The staff were welcoming and helpful throughout our stay. This was our first stay at Dromoland but we will definitely return.

Room Tip: Stay in a state room - well with the extra cost.
1  Thank Denise C

Reviewed January 30, 2013

On my recent trip to Ireland, staying in a 'real castle' was on the bucket list. Dromoland was the first stop...driving up to the castle was absolutly amazing! The grounds are truly breath taking! The entry is just like all the pictures posted~truly a step back (way back) in time. The room was one of the deluxe rooms, well worth the price. I have read some reviews about the rooms being either 'to hot' or 'to cold'. Considering this is a 5-star property, it is still a castle (a very old one), so there is not going to be the central air/heat. I was fourtunate enought not to have any issues with the room temperature. Dinner in The Earl of Thomond 'restuarant' was excellent. From the vast wine menu, to the 'presentation' of the meal, it was fabulous! And well worth the cost. Overall, it was a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Just back from a 2 night stay on Saturday 26th & Sunday, 27th January 2013. On arrival to the bedroom it was freezing and asked for this to be looked into at Reception when passing to the Bar to have afternoon tea. Found all staff excellent. Even though it was extremely busy they took time out for a chit-chat and nothing was a problem. Had dinner in the Golf Club on Saturday night which was very good and value for money. Retired early around 11.00 and still found the bedroom cold. Fell asleep and got woken at around 12.15 to a very loud bang and this continued all night as we were between 2 fire doors which were in constant use. Signs on I was absolutely shattered on Sunday.
Was asked by the Duty Manager Deirdre how did we sleep, recounted our night and within the space of around 10 minutes while we were having breakfast, she had investigated and asked us would we like to move rooms which we did. Got upgraded to what I would describe as a far superior room. Lovely smell, warm, magnificent 6ft bed (not 2 single beds pulled together), separate shower. This is what I would now call five star accommodation!!! And what I expect in a 5 star hotel.
We had booked a Hawk Walk with the Falconry School which was absolutely awesome. That evening we were booked for a 5 course meal in the Hotel Restaurant which was 5 star cuisine.
Overall our stay was very good, thanks to the wonderful staff, food and place itself.
Would we go back... yes but I would vet bedroom first!!!!.

Room Tip: Upgrade if possible
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Stayed for two nights in January and was by in large hugely disappointed from arrival to departure.
On arrival the bedroom was cold as were the hallways of the hotel.We went to the bar whereby we sat infront of what we were expecting to be a welcoming open fire only to find a embers of logs which were being regularly tended to but which no one actually lit. We had to wait for about 15 minutes of trying to get staffs attention before we gave up and my partner went to the bar to order a snack.
Once ordered a member of the staff returned to me to inform me that they were out of that dish of which there was no offer to look at the menu again until I got this staff members attention and requested one.
Saturday was much of the same. It felt like an underlying theme that one had to chase staff in order to get service of any kind. Despite there being plenty of staff we were largely ignored during our stay with the exception of two staff members in the dining room who were very attentive and the meal was quite good although rushed. A five course meal was served in an hour.
The bedroom despite being an upgraded room was average and parts felt like a good clean was in order, not what one would expect from a hotel ot this calibre.
On the morning of departure due to the hotel being busy we were served breakfast in the bar, perhaps a nice place to end an evening, but not the best place to start your day.
Checking out was more of the same disappointment when it came to service.
Overall a hugely disappointing stay, extremely poor service, cold unfriendly staff with five star pricing.
Perhaps a trip to Ashford Castle would be in order for management in order to see what five star hospitality really is.

5  Thank Brian O
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband brought me to this hotel for 2 nights for my 30th and our last get away before our baby arrives. On arrival setting beautiful, hotel cold ,fabulous fireplaces with non of them lit only spark or candles in them, corridors cold. No pool or gym in the hotel, only beauticians and out door hot tub. Manger very rude was shown to my room , lovely room but it had a shower / bath combined being 7 months pregnant with swollen legs I need a walk in shower. Explained this to the manager not a but understanding or helpful, eventually showed me another room it had walk in shower but only a double bed being 5 star I expect a 6 foot bed. I was looking for a 6 ft bed with a walk in shower? Not asking much in my conidition as every other hotel we stayed in this went without saying. Not showing any interest in me at all, I even offered to pay more, I asked for my money back he just shrugged his shoulders and said no to everything. I was was clearly upset and headed back to my room. Surprise surprise the phone ringings the girl on reception said a room had come up that I could have. Never got apologie from the manger or he never bothered to phone me himself. I just hope the next pregnant person he deals with he will be a lot nicer. Overall it ruined our stay. On the plus side the food was gorgeous and the setting that's about it.

• Stayed: January 2013
4  Thank Ougg
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed here last year but just getting round to review now.Rooms was fantastic,huge bed and a beautiful bathroom.The food in both day and evening was beautiful and service was excellent.Took many a walk on the grounds and even had a drive around in one of the buggys.Theres so much more we didnt even get to do so would love a return.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is the ultimate in dining and living. Situated on it's own beautiful grounds with golf club which has food which is also amazing . You are made special here by friendly staff who do their job with great attention to detail .You can clay pigeon shoot , archery , boating on their own lake ,falconry ,in rural surrounds .Just walk around the castle and get a feel of the past.Situated close to the rugged West Coast of Clare . Next stop is Boston USA.

Room Tip: Ask for window opening access
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket-on-Fergus
The Inn at Dromoland
#1 of 2 in Ballyvaughan
Hotel Woodstock
Hotel Woodstock
#2 of 9 in Ennis

Been to Dromoland Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!