“Wonderful service but offering getting a little dated” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dromoland Castle Hotel

Dromoland Castle Hotel
Dublin, Ireland
“Wonderful service but offering getting a little dated”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2007

I spent a two nights at Dromoland. Its been 7 or 8 years since I was last there. The overall experience was heavily dependant on the two fantastic porters John and Tom who together made my stay wonderful - their charm, wit and enthusiasm for what they do was so refreshing in an era of souless hotel stays.

While I still think Dromoland is a unique property at an Irish level, it is getting a bit faded from an international perspective. The interior is not as sharp as it could be - warrens of corridoors look a little tatty and dated looking. There are 5 star properties internationally that would operate at a much higher level.

• Liked — Beautiful grounds
  • Disliked — Getting a bit dated
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Wilderhillgirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Slovak first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2007

I recently spent a weekend in Dromoland Castle and it truly was one of the most pleasant, memorable experiences of a lifetime. It had been 10 years since my last visit there and am delighted to report that the Castle has retained its elegance, excellent service and first rate, most attentive staff. I had a really delightful room with what must be the best shower I have ever taken (it was like a fire hose!). The food was some of the best I have ever eaten. Well done Dromoland, keep up the good work! I had a wonderful Saturday afternoon in the Spa. That full body massage was extremely relaxing followed by some time in the outdoor hot tub. An incredible hotel that really lives up to its 5 star rating.

• Liked — Staff, Sevice and Food
  • Disliked — Nothing to dislike
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Joemalone123
Malaga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2007

Just finished our stay at the most fantastic hotel ever....... wow what a place. Of course its impressive it a real castle but you can get tjem anywhere but the staff are outstanding everyone of them, food great, activities brill. New spa which is great staff a little nervous but bery nice and helpful.

it saddened me to see other guests being nasty to staff.... everybody does their best. we are all on hols and should relax. ... be nice to the staff they work really hard. I had no prolems wilth any of them.

Already looking forward to next trip there to be totally spoiled yet again.

Stayed October 2007
florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2007

We thoroughly enjoyed the luxury of this worldclass property. Got a special rate booking a few months ahead, after checking all the castles for the two weeks we were in Ireland, I rearranged the itinerary to take advantage of a 200 euro internet special. Of course, we gave the savings back by letting them convince us to do the formal dinner where the jackets are required (though supplied) and a highly tip was added to the bill. Everyone wanted to stay longer. Must admit that I couldn't bring myself to leave the room key, so I can delude myself that I still have "a key to the castle."

• Liked — luxury
  • Disliked — formality can be a bit stuffy, but staff was extremely pleasant
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2007

We stayed at Dromoland as part of a group celebrating a famiy christening. From the moment we arrived the experience was, quite simply, dreadful.. The first two rooms we were shown to were unmodernised, dark and musty. Eventually, after demanding to see the manager, a room which we were told had been 'upgraded' was found for us. This room was marginally better, but definitely not even nearly 5 star. The carpet was dirty and old, as was the bed linen. There was an abudance of 'hotel furniture' clogging up the room and the bathroom was more akin to what one would expect in a B&B - plastic shower, hard towels, filthy 'bath mats' etc.

We dined in the 'Earl of Thomand' restaurant on our first night. The food was bland but edible, the room musty and drab, and the staff stuggled to speak english. The next morning my husband decided to explore the 'spa' - which consists of a couple of beauty rooms in the main building, with no shower or changing facilities. He found the restrooms in the lobby were filthy, indescribably so. Clearly they ahd not been cleaned from the night before - this was at 10.30 a.m...

The pool and leisure centre is in the adjacent golf club. Suffice to say, I am sure it was lovely 15 years ago.... Lunch at the 'Fig Tree' restaurant at the golf club was surprisingly good, basic but good.
Our second evening was in a function room as part of the celebration. It was fine.

The hotel itself is very limited in terms of public space. There is a lounge, a bar and pretty much nowhere else in the hotel to relax. Jackets are required in the bar after 7p.m. An affectation and an inconveniece. The grounds are nice, but not nice enough to compensate for what is in my view a 3 star hotel, with 3 star service. Dromoland does weddings and conventions well. I am quite sure that here are many tour groups, mainly american, who also seem to enjoy the 'charm' of this Irish castle. But it is just not good enough to warrant 5 star status.

We filled in the comment card, and naturally have not heard any response to our complaints. We did suggest that the management perhaps visit Chewton Glen in the UK to see how a country hotel should be run, and the Sandy Lane to see what '5 star' really means. Perhaps the management don't care for criticism. It certainly seems like they don't listen to it.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank LondonCharlie
Limerick
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2007

My husband took me to Dromoland Castle to propose to me in December 2005 and it was a magical experience. This year he took me back there to celebrate getting engaged and Dromoland exceeded all expectations. They put us in the same castle room where we got engaged. Upon arrival to the room, they delivered 2 glasses of champagne so as to wish us Congratulations. From that top notch service it just stayed fantastic for the night. Food in the restaurant for dinner is delicious including game caught on their own grounds. The wine list is daunting but they have a very helpful sommelier who helped us choose the perfect wine. The following morning we walked the beautiful grounds to finish off a very romantic stay. In short, it was perfect and I can't wait to go back there this December!

• Liked — Fantastic Service
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MSprings
Pasadena, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2007

Spent three nights at the Dromoland, a perfect ending to a 2-week vacation in Ireland. After so many driving trips around the Irish countryside, we were ready to relax and slow down. Our room wasn't ready yet, so we walked around the amazing grounds. Went through a tunnel of trees to a walled garden that was as beautiful as anything in a magazine. Beyond description! We could have sat there for hours. Enjoyed the ducks around the lake as well.

My favorite moment of our entire trip came on a rainy afternoon. My wife had been napping and reading in bed when three maids came to the door for turn-down service. I told them they could come in, but they might find someone still in bed! They came in and pampered and prepped the room, and my wife just chatted with them, feeling like a queen. Truly a priceless moment!

Our final night there we ate dinner as part of our Summer Deal, and it was truly the most delicious meal we had ever eaten! We had really enjoyed each breakfast, but this was over the top.

• Liked — The grounds and the food
  • Disliked — Lack of public in-door places to relax in
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LaR727
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket-on-Fergus
The Inn at Dromoland
#2 of 3 in Shannon
Hotel Woodstock
Hotel Woodstock
#2 of 9 in Ennis

Been to Dromoland Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!