Inishowen Gateway Hotel
Frontier Hotel(Bridgend)
Frewin House(Ramelton)
Ballyliffin Hotel(Ballyliffin)
View Hotel
All reviewsgolf courselough swillykids clubleisure centresea viewsoft play areaswimming poolpeninsula restaurantlovely hotelevening mealfamily roommrs clausroast beefsunday carverydrift innfamily breakfood was lovely
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Excellent hotel, all staff extremely friendly and helpful, food was top class, upgraded to a larger room on request with no fuss. Bar and restaurant staff extremely pleasant. Reception staff also very helpful. Rooms were clean even if a bit dated. Would highly recommend. this hotel is located in the scenic inishowen area and is convenient to many areas for golf fishing etc. Complimentary golf is available at the local 9 hole course at the back of the hotel. many top class golf courses within one hour including Ballyliffin where there are 2 courses, greencastle, stranorlar, letterkenny and of course the local course. Great value packages available to include DBB. Tip - Go for the bar food as it appears to be much better, why I don't know. I note that some reviews here in relation to this hotel make adverse comments about the staff and describe them as being unfriendly, I cannot understand this as I did not come across any one member of staff who was either pleasant or unfriendly. on the contrary they were all very pleasant and I think genuinely so. To me they looked like a very happy bunch who were happy at their work.

Room Tip: All rooms are adequate, some are quite large, ask for one of the bigger rooms on the southern side.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris F
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I attended the Sunday Lunch Carvery at the Inishowen Gateway last week with friends and family as it had been recommended by friends and family in recent months and always did have an excellent reputation for great service and food on a Sunday.

This Sunday proved to be no different in terms of food quality and flavour. The quality of the food was absolutely fabulous and the chefs deserve recognition for a great selection of starters, desserts and a award winning main event showcasing freshly cooked joints of beef, lamb, turkey, ham, breaded chicken with all the trimmings and a choice of sauce. It really was a banquet to behold.

I really wanted to put my feet up and relax however the standard of the service left me a little disappointed and on edge from the start. We were left standing at the entrance to the buffet for what seemed like a really long period of time before being acknowledged and seated by a member of staff. When we were seated the order of service was not explained and nobody took a drinks order. I took a drinks order from the table and took it to the bar only to be told to have a seat and wait for a member of staff to come and take the order. Service at the table was non-existent and we were not asked if we were enjoying our meal or if we wanted further drinks which was disappointing as I always like a glass of wine with my Sunday Roast, and maybe some bottled water for the table?

Maybe next time when we go we will receive better service to match the calibre of the food.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Niall D
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We were recommend this hotel by friends as a very child friendly establishment!
It wasn't.
The play area for kids was closed, as was the kids swimming pool,
the in-house spa was also closed! We were not advised of any of this when booking!
The staff were unfriendly-apart from a polish lady in the restaurant & a young barman-all 3 receptionists we spoke to during our stay were very matter of fact there were no niceties or pleasantries exchanged. Being the point of contact in the hotel they should maybe be sent on a customer service course!
The rooms were poor & the cot; mainly the mattress supplied for our baby was hard as a rock.
Overall, I would not recommend this hotel so if venturing to Buncrana I would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Tinemum
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for two nights recently and thoroughly enjoyed our visit.The view from the bedroom and the restaurant was great and interesting.The pool and other fascilities were fantastic.Lastly the food was high quality and very well priced.

Room Tip: Even room numbers overlook Lough Swilly
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank philip888
Reviewed September 3, 2013

i stayed at the inishowen gateway with my daughter for 3 nights in august 2013. this was a family friendly hotel and it had activities to keep children fully occupied and happy. there was activities 3 times per day and also had a 1st class swimming pool which you could use until 9pm daily. the hotel was very clean and had very friendly staff to help with any queries. if you are staying in buncrana with children i would highly recommend staying there.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family