“Comfortable stay”

Caldra B&B
Caldra B&B
Ranked #6 of 8 Buncrana B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Our room was very spacious with a fabulous view of the town and lough. Innkeeper was very efficient, provided a filling Irish breakfast or continental service. One small peeve( and this could have just been a slip), there was no bathmat.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Stayed here for the 1st 2 night's of our honeymoon(1&2 June) the family were lovely,friendly and helpful,great location and easy to find.The B&B is a clean and well kept place and very modern. Would definitely recommend and we would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Ww must have stayed in a different B&B. The house was designed to be a B&B. The rooms are large and we had lots of windows therefore a lot of light. There were 3 beds in the room. The room was cleaned every morning. Breakfast was plain but yummy. No fancy stuff, just eggs,
meat, cereal, brown bread. yogurt, fresh fruit.

The ensuite is tiny as is the shower. The sink was tiny and low. Had to juggle things around to brush my teeth. No little bottles soap, shampoo body wash were present and I realized how dependent I have become on them. Friends joined us for a few days and we decided to "picnic" on the last night the friends were here. We asked the owner if we could eat in the room and she said of course and brought up plates and cutlery. (We brought our own food).

At no time did we ever feel that we were imposing upon the owner. She is a quiet slightly shy person with no blarney.

Finding the building was dicey, It is sign-posted well until their street - we drove back and forth several times and finally found the B&B - 2nd house on the right. The parking lot is tight.

Room Tip: second floor front - beautiful views.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We spent one night in this B & B and had a very relaxing stay. The beds were extremely comfortable and I enjoyed the best nights sleep I'd had in a long while. The owner was helpful and friendly and gave us some pointers about some great things to do in the area. Definitey would recommend staying here.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed at Caldra from Sept 14-18 2012, and I had very enjoyable experience. The house and the view was beautiful. The breakfast was big and tasty. The hostess was very nice always asking me where I went during the day, and she even offered me I ride to the bus stop when I was leaving. My room was big and comfortable. I think I spent more time in my room than I did on any other vacation because I was so tired from cycling in Inishoven during the day. It is a very nice neighborhood with cows in yards nearby. I have stayed in many Bed & Breakfast's over the last fifteen years (Ireland, Scotland, and Canada), and I was very happy with my stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Brendan T
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This B&B has a lovely view and is in walking distance of the town centre. The amenities are pretty basic, and the decor very old-fashioned but the place was clean and well-kept. However, as somebody else has said here, it was like staying in someone's else house, and we were both inconvienced and made to feel like we were imposing a little. When we arrived there was no-one in, and we had to wait outside for almost 20 minutes. Then we were locked out when we got back at night and had to ring the doorbell. But the thing that annoyed me the most was the fact that I explained to the owner when we arrived that I was a vegetarian and didn't want the cooked breakfast, yet she put one in front of me anyway and looked visibly put out when I politely declined it. Also, the only alternative I was offered was cereal and toast, which was kind of disappointing.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ancientbear
Reviewed December 28, 2011

My family and I stayed here last April. We arrived at the house and were greeted warmly by the daughter of the owner and shown to our room. We remarked at the time that it was a rather dark room (it did suit our needs of napping our 18 month old). We had a rough time getting the wireless internet to work - it was an issue with the password. At times we felt that it was a little awkward though - we had stayed in many other B & B's throughout our travels and they seemed to take a much more business approach to our stay, although warm and friendly at Caldra it did not have the same feel as many of the other B&B’s. With that said, the following morning we had a lovely chat with the owner and she was quite lovely with our daughter. It wasn't our favorite stay, but it was not the worst by far.
I agree with the other posts that this is a great location. Buncrana is a fun little downtown with one of the best restaurants we ate at in Ireland: Ubiquitous.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank TheTravelingStaggs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buncrana
Inishowen Gateway Hotel
Ballyliffin Lodge & Spa Hotel
Westbrook House B&B
Westbrook House B&B
#5 of 8 in Buncrana

Been to Caldra B&B? Share your experiences!