“Not a volcano”

Caldra B&B
Caldra B&B
Ranked #6 of 8 Buncrana B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Ww must have stayed in a different B&B. The house was designed to be a B&B. The rooms are large and we had lots of windows therefore a lot of light. There were 3 beds in the room. The room was cleaned every morning. Breakfast was plain but yummy. No fancy stuff, just eggs,
meat, cereal, brown bread. yogurt, fresh fruit.

The ensuite is tiny as is the shower. The sink was tiny and low. Had to juggle things around to brush my teeth. No little bottles soap, shampoo body wash were present and I realized how dependent I have become on them. Friends joined us for a few days and we decided to "picnic" on the last night the friends were here. We asked the owner if we could eat in the room and she said of course and brought up plates and cutlery. (We brought our own food).

At no time did we ever feel that we were imposing upon the owner. She is a quiet slightly shy person with no blarney.

Finding the building was dicey, It is sign-posted well until their street - we drove back and forth several times and finally found the B&B - 2nd house on the right. The parking lot is tight.

Room Tip: second floor front - beautiful views.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed April 12, 2013

We spent one night in this B & B and had a very relaxing stay. The beds were extremely comfortable and I enjoyed the best nights sleep I'd had in a long while. The owner was helpful and friendly and gave us some pointers about some great things to do in the area. Definitey would recommend staying here.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed at Caldra from Sept 14-18 2012, and I had very enjoyable experience. The house and the view was beautiful. The breakfast was big and tasty. The hostess was very nice always asking me where I went during the day, and she even offered me I ride to the bus stop when I was leaving. My room was big and comfortable. I think I spent more time in my room than I did on any other vacation because I was so tired from cycling in Inishoven during the day. It is a very nice neighborhood with cows in yards nearby. I have stayed in many Bed & Breakfast's over the last fifteen years (Ireland, Scotland, and Canada), and I was very happy with my stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Brendan T
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This B&B has a lovely view and is in walking distance of the town centre. The amenities are pretty basic, and the decor very old-fashioned but the place was clean and well-kept. However, as somebody else has said here, it was like staying in someone's else house, and we were both inconvienced and made to feel like we were imposing a little. When we arrived there was no-one in, and we had to wait outside for almost 20 minutes. Then we were locked out when we got back at night and had to ring the doorbell. But the thing that annoyed me the most was the fact that I explained to the owner when we arrived that I was a vegetarian and didn't want the cooked breakfast, yet she put one in front of me anyway and looked visibly put out when I politely declined it. Also, the only alternative I was offered was cereal and toast, which was kind of disappointing.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ancientbear
Reviewed December 28, 2011

My family and I stayed here last April. We arrived at the house and were greeted warmly by the daughter of the owner and shown to our room. We remarked at the time that it was a rather dark room (it did suit our needs of napping our 18 month old). We had a rough time getting the wireless internet to work - it was an issue with the password. At times we felt that it was a little awkward though - we had stayed in many other B & B's throughout our travels and they seemed to take a much more business approach to our stay, although warm and friendly at Caldra it did not have the same feel as many of the other B&B’s. With that said, the following morning we had a lovely chat with the owner and she was quite lovely with our daughter. It wasn't our favorite stay, but it was not the worst by far.
I agree with the other posts that this is a great location. Buncrana is a fun little downtown with one of the best restaurants we ate at in Ireland: Ubiquitous.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank TheTravelingStaggs
Reviewed November 16, 2011

My daughter and I stayed at this bandb on the 26th October last. No great heat in hallway on enterining this house and the bedroom was the same.....extremely cold and musty!!!
There was a serious fowl odour coming from the ensuite( the wooden floors were warped as if lots of leaks and repair works had been carried out ) The towels felt like sand paper and the bedlinen was a greyey white. Nothing but shabby and I can not understand how bord Failte could approve the bandb giving it 4 stars. On leaving I mentioned about the coldness and odour in the room and the owner said it was awhile since the room had being in use and that the shower and tiles probably needed re-doing????
I would not recommend this bandb to anybody

Teresa

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank 851teresa
Reviewed October 9, 2011

This 4* B&B did not meet our expectations. The room was spacious and convenient, however, it had not been cleaned properly before our arrival. We were also surprised on our second day that our used coffee cups were left unwashed and the beds left undone. Breakfast was average, not more, not less. However, the location was great, within walking distance from Buncrana town centre and with a splendid view.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple