“Extremely Enjoyable Night”

Tulfarris Hotel and Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Blessington
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I have been to Tulfarris twice within the last few weeks. The first was for a wedding I was taking photographs for, both the ceremony and reception were done within the hotel. I was provided the meal and can say it was really enjoyable. The second time was for Valentines night after seeing a discount offer on Facebook. I booked the one bedroom deluxe suite, with 5 course meal and breakfast option. The receptionist was extremely helpful and polite whilst booking us in. after arriving at our room, i have to say i was shocked at the size of it. Great sized bedroom and bathroom, huge living area with kitchen overlooking the golf course complete with balcony. Tv in both rooms (only let down was no sign of TV3) Due to a disruption with the water facilities, Bottled mineral water was provided. As it was just a little after lunchtime, we decided to go to the bar and have a drink and a bite to eat, we ordered the basket of BBQ chicken wings (there is also a spicy option and a mix of both option) for €10.95, you get a bowl plenty enough for 2 people of absolutely gorgeous flavoured wings (i actually think they were better than elephant and castle in Dublin i had a few years ago)
We had booked the meal for 8:30pm, the ambience was good, along with a good selection of dishes to choose from, the meal was beautiful, (I had chicken Liver Parfait, Mango sorbet, Duck with an orange sauce and Choc Fudge cake, i could fault none of them). The hospitality was second to none. Breakfast the next morning included a large selection of cereals, fruit, bread, juice, A full irish breakfast buffet and pain au chocolat.
The hotel is based on some wonderful grounds, the main feature being the gold course situated right beside blessington lakes . I have to say a huge Thank you to all the staff .. we will def be back in the new future, and would recommend to anyone

Room Tip: We stayed in suite 131, extrememly comfortable
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
GMTulfarris, General Manager at Tulfarris Hotel and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Hello Chris

Thank you for your lovely review of our hotel and taking the time to write it. We really appreciate our guests writing such great reports.
I'm glad you liked the chicken wings, they are getting more famous as the days go on.

Hopefully we will see you again soon, maybe at another wedding.

Mark

Write a ReviewReviews (1,012)

Reviewed February 13, 2013

My wife and I booked two nights B&B in the Tulfarris Hotel as a Groupon deal. The hotel itself is nestled amidst beautiful surroundings at the Tulfarris Golf Resort on the shores of Blessington Lakes. A ‘real’ log fire in the hotel lobby was very welcoming and the receptionist on duty was polite and explained everything to us in a clear and friendly manner.

Our room was spacious and tastefully decorated. It was spotlessly clean and had very large bed (actually 2 smaller beds pushed together) in the centre of the room and was very comfortable. The room had a wall mounted flat-screen TV with a good number of channels, free Wi-Fi, tea/coffee making facilities (unfortunately no biscuits), hairdryer, phone, room safe, 2 comfy chairs and a small round table. Although there were plenty of lights in the room, the lighting was not the best due to the solid metal shades. The room was warm and even had its own thermostat which allowed us to control our own heat in the room.

The bathroom was a nice size with a double sized shower. Again it was very clean however, the water from the tap was brown. I noticed the brown water in the toilet bowl and thought it hadn’t been flushed but for some reason the water in our room was brown in colour (see photo). I’m sure the water is safe enough but I would suggest residents’ bring bottled water rather than use the water in the bathroom just in case. The shower was powerful but on the first morning the water was lukewarm and on the second morning it was cold – really not good enough for a modern Irish hotel like this. I have only ever experienced this on the continent where the water is solar heated.

We had a nice meal in the Lime Tree Restaurant although it would have been rather expensive had we not have had the €20 meal voucher included with our Groupon deal. Most meats seemed to incur a supplement. My wife had lamb shank and I had duck and we had to pay a €6 supplement for each. Sides were not included however, we found we had enough to eat without the need to order sides. The staff in the restaurant were lovely and couldn’t do enough for us. Afterwards we enjoyed a few drinks in the Elk Bar. This bar is quite large with comfortable sofas and there was entertainment in the form of a singer on the night we stayed there.

Breakfast was a buffet affair and the food was hot and plentiful and very nice. Again, the staff were friendly and attentive.

While we were in the area we took a beautiful scenic trip through the Wicklow Gap to Glendalough It can get a bit busy here especially during the summer but it is well worth a visit whilst you’re in the area.

All in all we had a very enjoyable stay at the Tulfarris Hotel and Golf Resort. It was let down by the brown water from the tap and the cold showers otherwise I would have given it a 5 star rating otherwise. If you can live with brown water and cold showers then I would recommend this hotel as a good base for visiting this beautiful part of Ireland.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello Wildtracker

Thank you for you review of Tulfarris and taking the time to write such a great review.
I must apologise for the brown water. We have our own natural well at the hotel and due to excessive rainfall in the month this unsettled our well. I can assure you that all our water is still treated before entering the hotel. We of course provide bottled water during these periods. I am happy to say that this is a very rare occurence and thankfully we dont have to apologise for this often.

I hope that this hasnt deterred you from staying with us again.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Visited Tulfarris on a few occassions now as we fell so in love with this hotel since been invited to a Wedding here back in August of last year. I am only getting around to writing this review now. But I had to write it. Like I say though we have returned since on a few occassions as it was a wedding that brought us to this beautiful hotel in the begining we were so impressed from the moment we arrived and we left feeling we didnt have enough time to truly enjoy the hotel itself with been part of a wedding party they was a lot on and organised for us "amazing wedding venue too, food, setting If i could do my own wedding all over again i would have booked here! Anyway We contacted the hotel and spoke with their head receptionist Aisling Flood whom was more than helpful on each and every occassion as were all of the staff. When we booked to return we returned for a couple of days with our young daughter to enjoy what was again a fantastic stay. The Hotel itself is so beautiful, spotless clean, service and food is incredible too, second to none. We take a lot of breaks away around Ireland, different hotels but now We now use this hotel for our break away hotel as it is so welcoming and we cannot fault a single thing about it. We will most definatley be returing again SOON and I am so looking forward to our stay too....If you have not visied already, trust me you must do so SOON!! Thank you to Aisling Flood Head Receptionist and ALL of the staff at Tulfarris Hotel for their incredible customer service. Much appreciated.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
GMTulfarris, General Manager at Tulfarris Hotel and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Hello Rolecall,

Thank you for the amazing review, I am delighted that you keep coming back to us and we continue to impress you. I will certainly pass this on to Aisling also as she will be thrilled too.
Please say hello next time you are staying so I can put a face to the name.

Hopefully soon,

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I stayed in Tulfarris recently to view the premises to check the suitability for a conference we are holding in September.
I was delighted with the setting it is incredible, the hotel rooms are fabulous.
The staff through out the hotel were very friendly and professional.
The walks around the property are beautiful and certainly helps to unwind after a day in Dublin.
I will certainly use the hotel more when working in our head office in Tallaght its not that far a drive.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Hello Daithimacliam,

Thank you for the generous review and I'm really pleased that we lived up to any expectations and possibly surpassed some. Please give me a call anytime if I can help you with your conference arrangements or show you around the hotel in detail.
I will certainly pass on your comments to all the staff also.

Hopefully hear from you soon,

Reviewed February 5, 2013

The location of this hotel is very picturesque. The hotel interior is very nice - the open fire in the lobby adds a cosy feel. The bedrooms are nicely decorated and very comfy.

Dinner in the Lime Tree restauarant was quite nice. Seabass was very tasty and pecan pie for desert was absolutely divine!! However it should be noted that the prices advertised on their website (24.95 for 2 courses) have gone up and it's now 27.95 for 2 courses. And as another reviewer mentioned, there are quite a lot of supplements ranging from 6euro to 8euro for duck/steak/lamb options. So it can work out quite pricey.

We weren't overly impressed with the breakfast buffet and have definitely had better breakfasts in other 4-star hotels. The sausages were kinda cheap tasting, tomatoes were tasteless, frozen hash brown triangles, no mushrooms, bitter tasting orange juice from concentrate. The first morning there were no pastries, but thankfully on the second morning there were.. and they were lovely - fresh and delicious (pain-au-chocolat, croissants etc). To sum it up - I would have expected a better breakfast from a 4-star hotel.. shame as the breakfast room itself is lovely and bright and the views over the golf course and lakes are stunning.

Our bedroom was very comfy, but we were surprised at the lack of a bath in the bathroom. Also I wasn't too happy having to take a luke-warm shower after a hard days hiking around blessington lakes - the water just wasn't hot enough. Although this improved on our last day.. so maybe there had been a problem with the water heating system.

The hotel is situated on beautiful grounds with a stunning golf course. Lovely for a short walk.

To be honest I'm torn between giving this hotel 3 or 4 stars.. but I'll go with 4 - I think the overall experience is really nice, just let down slightly by quality of breakfast and no bath in bedroom as standard.

Room Tip: Request a room with bath (if a shower-only room is an issue)
Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kobbo

Hello Kobbo,

Thank you for your review and all in all I'm glad you had a pleasant stay in Tulfarris. I have gone through your points with our team and we have hopefully we will have all of your points addressed and any we can change or improve we will certainly do this.
I am sorry about the lack of bath in your room, we have got 50% of our rooms with a bath and we can certainly ensure you have one on your next stay, please let us know if you do plan to return which I hope you do and I'm sure you will see any improvements we have made.

Hopefully see you soon,

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Just before Christmas, I decided that I would organise a night away somewhere, not too far from home, to celebrate our anniversary. It was going to be a total surprise, so I didn't want to go too far away from home, especially with it just being for the one night.

I absolutely adore Wicklow, and when i stumbled across reviews for Tulfarris, i knew that was the right place.

When we arrived, we were greeted warmly at the check in desk. The girl gave us all the information we needed about how to get to our room, where breakfast was served, and where we would be eating dinner.

The room was amazing. I booked a suite which consists of a bedroom, a bathroom and a living room, with dining area and kitchen.

There was two tv's in the suite, and an unbelievably comfy L shaped sofa. It was heaven. Having the living room meant we were able to chill out before dinner and watch some silly movies on TV.

We ate in the Lime Tree Restaurant. Honestly, it has to be one of the nicest meals I've eaten out in a long time. We got 3 courses each, and ordered the same thing for each course, purely by accident. I can recommend the Chicken Satay Skewers, Fillet Steak and Apple Crumble. Devine. The restaurant looks out over the golf course, which we couldn't see while we ate dinner, but this is also where brekkie is served, so we had a lovely view the next morning.

The bed was very comfortable, but we found the room to be an odd temperature. Throughout the night it was cold, then warm then cold again, and we actually didn't sleep very well as a result. But I'm not entirely sure this had anything to do with the room itself. There were other guests who made quite a lot of noise coming back to their rooms, after the residents bar had closed. I'd suggest maybe fitting doors with soft closing hinges to avoid slamming at 3am.

Breakfast was lovely. It was buffet style and really very tasty. My only criticism here is that we weren't asked if we wanted Tea or Coffee, and we actually ended up asking for this. Also toast has to be made yourself, and they provide little baskets. We didn't figure this out until after we'd eaten, but we'll know for next time.

Would we go back? Without a shadow of a doubt. This place is a little gem, hidden away in the wicklow mountains, surrounded by the lakes. Who wouldn't want to go back there.. even if just for a night?

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello Slkav,

Thank you so much for your excellent thorough review. I'm glad that you found the rooms comfy and a great size, the separate sitting room in the suites really do add to the comfort and as you say to be able to chill out before dinner.
I certainly take on board your comments about the toaster which I will rectify immediatley with some better signage. I can only apologise for the waiter's lack of attention and serving of Tea or Coffee, this is certainly not the norm but we will address it.

I'm thrilled that you will be coming back to us and please get in touch with me when you do and I will ensure another suite for you.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We stayed here for one night in a suite. These are lovely rooms. Very spacious and well equipped. We arrived very early and were given a room. Nothing was a problem. We ate lunch in the bar. Very good value. We had dinner included in our package which again was very good. I played golf while I was there. Nice course, lots of water. Par 3s are good. Would highly recommend for a relaxing break.

Room Tip: Suites are great.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chiurce

Hello Chiurce,

Thank you for your great review and taking the time to write it, we really do appreciate it. I'm glad that you got to experience all that we have to offer, as well as the golf course. It is a super course and the par three's are some of the toughest i've played.

Hopefully we will see you again soon at the hotel for maybe a longer stay.

Mark

Also consider these accommodations in or near Blessington
18 mi away
The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club
BrookLodge & Macreddin Village
BrookLodge & Macreddin Village
#1 of 1 in Macreddin Village

Been to Tulfarris Hotel and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!