“Great wedding experience”
Review of Avon Ri

Avon Ri
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Blessington
Reviewed November 11, 2012

My wife's nephew's marriage ceremony and reception was held in Avon Ri in August last. We had never even heard of the place until the wedding invitation was received. Apart from attending the wedding itself we stayed overnight in one of the self catering townhouses. It is indeed one of Ireland's hidden gems. The location is stunning, food and service excellent. The the accomodation was luxurious and very well priced. Our only regret was that we could not stay longer but we will certainly return for an extended break.

1  Thank TonyK39

Reviewed November 9, 2012

I was looking for a short break for my son of 21 and a student friend of ours from Italy. Avon Ri looked ideal as it had activities the boys could enjoy. We stayed in one of the houses on the estate. We were delighted to find the house had three very large double bedrooms all en suite. Very well equipped with all mod cons.
The boys had a day of activities and thoroughly enjoyed it. Cycling and clay pigeon shooting with Mark (from the activity centre) was one of the most enjoyable days the young men have had. They also went kayaking on the beautiful lake for over an hour, another activity really enjoyed.
We had a meal in the bar one evening and I have to say the service and food were excellent, and not too expensive.
The scenery would take your breath away. I will definitely return to the Avon Ri, it’s a little gem. Well done to all for making our short stay most enjoyable

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Maria55557
Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

Just back from five days in Avon Rí. We took our three kids and meet up with our extended family. The accomondation was excellent. There is a playground on site and pool. Lots of outdoor activities for older kids. Our eldest is four so nothing to suit us:(
My only criticism is that when we had dinner on the Sat night (15 adults and 6 kids) we couldn't order for the kids in advance! We had to order as a table!! If you are aiming for the family market this needs to change:(
Houses were cosy and comfortable and it was a super holiday.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I got married in the Avon Ri (30/08/12) and I am so happy and proud that my family and best friends got to spend 3 days in this beautiful location under the supervision of Cathleen and Andrew Boud (wedding coordinator + M.D. resp). We wanted for nothing. They give us 100% VIP care and the food, service, accommodation, logistics, Eric (restaurant manager) were all unbeatable.
The marquee is 'the' place to celebrate your special day - listen to Cathleen and all will go perfectly.

Many thanks guys - hope you read this!!

1  Thank brianmadrid
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Just back from great stay in blessing ton and the place is well worth a trip . We rented out houses for our stay as there was a large group of friends staying with the children . The kids had the best time of their lives . We went down to the lake side for an evening and the views were amazing . Kids loved putting the Wellies on and getting mucky . I recommend you book any activities you plan to do early . Our kids done the archery and the seg way and they loved it . I must say the young man Alan that helped us with our activities was so good and friendly and he really enjoyed showing the kids the ropes . Reception stay were also very friendly . The houses were huge and had all mod cons . All in all a great place to go for a break .

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank john l
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Our family stayed in one of the 'town houses'.
TV was broken, various kitchen equipment damaged, decoration tired.
Other guests had broken toilet etc.
So it really needs the properties revamped.
The pool - its okay. Small and a little cold for kids.
The changin room. Hmmm. It's shared with locals using the gym, pool users and more, so it's very very busy and as a result dirty. I noticed the cleaning schedule in the gents was last updated in December. Please clean the changing rooms.
Staff - reception staff need training.
Bar/restaraunt staff - some are lovely, one lady not local though has all the charm of a wet fish. So mixed bag.

Good points - the food is good, the bar has lovely views. Bedrooms are huge.

I wish this place well, it's a vital part of the local town. But it appears to be needing investment and better leadership. It's getting run down and shabby fast.

• Stayed: August 2012
5  Thank the_f_ranger
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We were a family of 4 which included 2 small kids, when we checked in we found the house was not very clean, I was so disappointed I ended up cleaning the fridge etc and said to hell with this I did not come away to clean so I rang reception and they sent over a very nice girl called Michelle who addressed the issue. It was just a shame that this had to be done, there was a lot of hygiene issues eg stains on the carpets, dirty untensils in the kitchen and also there were a few maintenance issues which should be addressed eg paint work and skirting boards which should be replaced. There were 2 guys power hosing the following morning and thank god I was in the house as I had the windows opened upstairs who knows what would have happened, in normal circumstances hotels / resorts would inform the residents that this would be taking place. Also we went to the pool where I made sure that we all had our swim caps on and even had to buy one for the kids to discover the following day that there were a number of people in the pool in their boxer shorts and underwear with no hats !!!!!!!! the pool is not supervised (there are cameras at reception maybe they were not working this day hmmm ) We ate in the bar as the restaurant was closed (opened at weekends only) the service and staff there were excellent but could have had more variety on the menu eg sirloin steak / fillet of chicken (bacon and cabbage was the dish of the day on 2 nights we were told) I would question the standards of cleaning / servicing the houses at Avon Ri (The sofas were very dirty never moved and under the cushions terrible along with the legs of the coffee table underneath very dusty, shower heads very dirty and vents in bathrooms layered with a thick layer of dust - there for a while) Any way on a positive note the rooms were very spacious and the linen was clean tg.

6  Thank Michelle K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blessington
BrookLodge & Macreddin Village
The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club
Osprey Hotel
Osprey Hotel
#3 of 5 in Naas

Been to Avon Ri? Share your experiences!