“Wedding Reception 29th September 2012”
Review of Dooly's Hotel

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Birr
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We were married only 4 days ago and had our we our reception at Dooly's Hotel. From the moment we arrived after our wedding cermony until we checked out the next day my husband and I could not fault Steven, Paul and the entire staff of a magnificent establishment. We were greeted with such warmth on a red carpet reception on arrival. The food was 100% perfect, the presentation of the food was 100% excellent and the prompt service of each course was 100% excellent. We would not hesitate in recommending this excellent hotel to any one. We look forward to a return visit to Dooly's and would like to take this opportunity to thank Stephen O Connor, Paul Owens and the extended staff of Dooly's. Thanks guys for an excellent day and we have priceless memories of an excellent day.

Paudie & Sandra O Rourke
Causeway
Co. Kerry

Room Tip: Bridal Suite was massive with very comfy massive bed, all other rooms were comfortable and all our g...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sandra O
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear Sandra & Paudie,

Thank you so much for your kind words. It is most encouraging to read your praise for the Hotel & acknowledge the efforts of the Team during your stay. I am delighted both you & your guests enjoyed a wonderful wedding day at Dooly's Hotel last week. I have passed on your gracious compliments to our Kitchen Team in regard to food quality & plate presentation. As General Manager, I strive to ensure the Team deliver on our promise - good food, great service and always a warm and friendly welcome at Dooly's Hotel. It is very rewarding to read we did so again on the occasion of your wedding day.
I would like to take this opportunity to wish you both a marriage of joy & happiness & I look forward to welcoming you back to Dooly's Hotel again soon.

Best wishes,

Reviewed September 29, 2012

My wife and I were staying in the locality and Dooly's was one of the few places we could get a meal on a Sunday night. We both had fish and chips which was of reasonable quality, followed by a dessert and coffee and I've got to say the staff were pleasant and attentive. Difficult to judge what it would have been like to stay there but the hotel had a nice warm, kind of old fashioned appeal about it, so maybe it would have been okay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
DoolysHotel, Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking time to review Dooly's Hotel after your recent visit to our Hotel Bar. Apart from our Coachouse Bar which serves Bar Lunch from 12.30pm/3.00pm daily and a full bar Food Menu from 3.00pm/9.00pm - Dooly's also serves a full A la Carte Menu in our Emmet Restaurant which opens 7 days a week. At present we offer a full 3 Course dinner from our A la Carte Menu for 2 guests plus a bottle of select house wine for just €65.
You are correct in thinking the Hotel has an old world feel to it - Dooly's Hotel is in fact the oldest Coaching Inn in Ireland - serving as such since 1747. I would like to invite you to stay at Dooly's Hotel when you next visit the area & sample our Irish hospitality at first hand.

Again, thank you for your review.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We had an afternoon birthday party for my Mum in July, arranged at quite short notice. The manager Stephen was very helpful with the booking and advising about food, and the staff were also very helpful when we wanted to do various things e.g.set up a live link up via the internet with a relative in Canada - which was great fun. Everybody enjoyed the afternoon, and the food and welcoming punch were delicious. It was very relaxed with friends and family from Ireland and Yorkshire and all said they had thoroughly enjoyed the day. The Cumberland suite was partitioned off which worked well, and we had easy access to the bar. All in all I would recommend Doolys Hotel for a similar event, it is centrally located and there is plenty of parking, and the staff were great.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank a m

Dear A M,

I am delighted to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your recent Party celebrations in the Cumberland Suite at Dooly's Hotel. We always strive to satisfy every client demand, so it was great to hear the web link to Canada was such a hit on the day. It is most satisfying to read your acknowledgement of our fine food, our customer service & in particular the friendliness of our staff, in particular Richard & Cormac.

I hope to welcome you all back to Dooly's Hotel to mark the next milestone.

Best wishes,

Reviewed September 15, 2012

We recently got married in Italy and had our wedding party in Dooly's.I have to say on the night we did not have to worry about one thing on the night.Stephen,Paul and all the staff are very,very friendly.The food was top class and everybody said so.Our stay here was perfect and we would recommend Dolly's to anyone.
Juliet Hoary.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Juliet,

Many thanks for your kind words. It was a pleasure for the team to host your Wedding Party at Dooly's Hotel. I am delighted both yourselves & your guests have a wonderful evening, enjoying the food & evening entertainment in equal measures. On behalf of the Hotel, may I wish you both health & happiness in your life together & I look forward to welcoming you back to Dooly's Hotel again soon.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed August 22, 2012

My Son and I stopped at Dooly's for lunch The menu promised chicken in cream mushroom and tarragon sauce. I was served the smallest piece of chicken I have ever encountered, served with one minuscule sliver of mushroom and no hint of tarragon at all. My son's order of roast pork was equally disappointing. The meat was dry and the gravy which might have helped was hard to locate. The vegetables served with both meals were the cubed frozen verity that were over cooked and unpleasant.
The service was speedy. I wonder if the waiter was trying to distance himself from the poor food?
If you are hungry while visiting Birr try somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank antmusic
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Dear Antmusic,

I am very disappointed in reading your review and how, on this occasion we failed to meet your expectations. Dooly's Hotel operates a busy Bar Food trade & it was unfortunate you did not bring you dissatisfaction to the attention of a staff member or a manager. That is our only opportunity to recover the situation & offer the guest an alternative meal choice. I strongly disagree with your suggestion we serve frozen vegetables - our fresh vegetables are supplied locally by Milnes - The Fresh Food Company.

I am sorry you had such a negative experience on this occasion. I would hope you will come back to Dooly's Hotel & give us an opportunity to experience our good food & friendly service.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Short and Sweet this review will be.

-Location is great.
-Staff are very friendly.
-Food is good.
-Room are lovely with flat screen tv and very comfy bed and spacious bathroom and bedroom.
-Booked on the night I was staying and staff had no problem getting me a room.
-May not look the best on the outside but the inside is lovely.
-Traditional bar aswell.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends

Dear Olivia M,

Thank you for taking the time to review Dooly's Hotel. I am delighted you experienced our hospitality, friendliness & good food during your stay. The Hotel has just been repainted externally since your visit & I look forward to your thoughts on your next trip to Dooly's.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Excellent hotel, ive just read the review you must be one fussy person!!!
my friend and I were attending an evening wedding nearby,
we ate in the bar, fish, chips mushy peas.. nicest fish we'd ever had! the toilets did not have cobwebs! clean your glasses..
yes its a bit shabby in places, its a17th century inn! it was very clean, ALL the staff where so so friendly.. think you'll find if you are friendly then people are generally friendly back!!
a massive thank you to Stephen, Hotel manager, for the rescue of 2 lost english ladies!
we had an excellent nights sleep, no noise at all on a very comfy bed!
Oh and the Guinness was excellent!
only had to vacate the room at 11.30am,, a definate bonus...

So to the staff--- you are all a credit to this Hotel, the friendliest and professional people i have ever had the pleasure of meeting.. i would come back in a shot..

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Dear Carolinegary_11,

Thank you for your kinds words. I know you will remember you whistle stop visit to Ireland earlier this month. While things didn't go exactly to plan (you even got the walking tour of Birr at dust !!!), it was rewarding to hear that all the Team at Dooly's were recognised by you for their hospitality & friendliness to you both during your stay. I hope to see you back in Birr soon.

Dooly's Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birr
County Arms Hotel & Leisure Club
Racket Hall Country House Hotel
Tullamore Court Hotel
Tullamore Court Hotel
#2 of 3 in Tullamore

Been to Dooly's Hotel? Share your experiences!