“Dooly's....Why did we stop to eat there?”
Review of Dooly's Hotel

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Birr
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We had the misfortune to eat in Dooly's Hotel Bar yesterday...Two of us ate because we were passing through and having travelled for over 4 hrs needed 'fodder'....best way to describe the food... but our daughter refused to eat in the place. We considered leaving after sitting down but stayed because we did not know where else to eat in Birr. Perhaps after this review somebody will advise us!
An old building is no excuse for the drab grubby looking surroundings and the rather 'cocky' waitress...She served a cup of tea but as the milk jug on the table was empty we requested some milk. There was a handle on the jug but she chose to cover the top of the jug with her hand rather than use the handle.
The Ladies Toilets left a lot to be desired with cobwebs etc & paper on the floor...Try comparing with the spotless Toilets in another old building Cooney's Hotel & Bar in Ballymahon where we sometimes break our journey.
I am writing this to perhaps spare somebody else from our experience as most definitely we will never set foot in Dooly's again.....Ugh!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Joan_392012
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Dear Joan_392012,

I am truly sorry that this is the impression you have of Dooly's Hotel in Birr and more so that you did not have a positive experience during your brief stop over. Our Hotel Bar & Coffee Shop serve a busy lunch trade & we pride ourselves on good food & customer service. While you now express your dissatisfaction with your visit via TripAdvisor, you failed to give the Hotel an opportunity to rectify your complaint - had you complained to service staff or request to speak with a Manager at that time we would certainly have offered you an alternative. To describe the food as "fodder" is totally unfair - with no specifics as to what you ordered or what you disliked.

The Hotel itself is old, however it is very clean and we have commenced with our refurbishment programme - the Hotel Lobby was refurbished last winter & is now chique boutique in style, the Coffee Shop was refurbished this spring and the Cumberland Suite & Emmet Restaurant have been repainted during the summer. The exterior repainting of the entire hotel has just been completed this past month.

I have passed on your comments to the Accommodation Manager in relation to the tissue paper in the ladies bathroom and I can only apologise for this happening.

If I can be of any assistance in the future please do not hesitate in contacting me.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

My wife and I got married in Birr recently and we had our reception in Dooly's. I can honestly say that we do not have one bad word to say about the hotel. The staff from Stephen the manager down to the receptionists and barmen were so friendly and helpful. There was nothing that they would not help us or any of the guests with.

We stayed in the hotel for a couple of days during the wedding (May '12) and found that the staff were consistently friendly, not just on our wedding day. I think the best way to describe them is professional with some good old Irish hospitality!

The function room was beautifully decorated for our reception. The food was excellent and there was plenty of it. Stephen and the staff were extremely accommodating and attentive.

There are flashier hotels but they do not have the same old world feel and character that Dooly's has. It is a coach house hotel situated right in the heart of Birr so there are always people passing through. The hotel bar is a great place to observe this and the barmen will happily shoot the breeze with you while you enjoy that creamy pint.

So thank you Stephen and all the staff at Dooly's for making our weekend that extra bit special!

Mark & Mary Guckian.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Dear Mr & Mrs Gucks,

Thank you for your kind words. I am delighted both you and your guests had a great weekend at Dooly's celebrating your recent wedding. It certainly was a blast and the apres match was pretty cool to boot. Speaking of match & boot - I have your rugby ball 18.5.2012 in safe keeping for you to collect when in Birr again. I hope you had a good honeymoon & can I wish you the best of health & happiness in your life together.

Kindest Regards,

Stephen o' Connor

General Manger

Reviewed July 4, 2012

We stayed in this hotel as we were doing a skydive the next morning.After I relaxing meal and drink in the bar we headed to our rooms to get a good nights sleep before our big adventure. Only problem was we were in a room above a nightclub and beer garden.
After suffering some considerable time I phone reception to be told that the nightclub wouldn't be over until 2.00am and they couldn't move us to a different room. I was also told that it is Hotel policy to inform guest at time of bookingabout the nightclub. Something they forgot when I booked.(I however had told them when I booked that I was doing a skydive the next day.)
Thought I'd drown out the noise with the tv/dvd that was supposed to be in the room but there was no dvd player as stated in ever room and no remote for the tv.
The manager wasn't available on checkout and I still await his apoligy

Room Tip: Don't stay!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank CatherineAnnCrossgar

Dear CatherineAnnCrossgar,

On behalf of the hotel I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the fact that you had such negative feedback on your recent stay with us and that you found the Hotel to be so disappointing.
You call the Hotel the "Worst Hotel in Ireland" despite having a relaxing meal & drink in the Bar. The one problem you seemed to have encounter was the room allocation - over the ballroom & beer garden. There was a function in the Hotel on the night. I actually answered your telephone complaint at 1.05am on Sunday morning - I did apologise for the fact that you were unable to sleep due to the music & further apologised that I was unable to change you to a quieter room as the Hotel was fully occupied on the night in question. Due to the proximity of the Nite Club to the Hotel, it is Hotel policy to inform all guests of the Nite Club at weekends when making a reservation - I apologise again if you were not told when you booked your room 4 days prior to your skydive.

I strongly disagree with your suggestion that the Hotel advertise a DVD player in each bedroom as stated by you in this review - an "in house DVD" is available on request from Hotel Reception. I apologise that the TV remote was not in the room.

I can fully understand your frustration and I wish to apologise once again for the fact that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us. Dooly's Hotel has a good relationship with SKYDIVE IRELAND & always offers a preferential rate to sky divers. I hope that you could one day give us a second chance and let us prove that it is not always a negative experience here at the Dooly's Hotel.

Reviewed May 9, 2012

I recommend the full Irish Breakfast while there.
The room was confortable , the hotel was in good shape and the staff was friendly.
I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Corner room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo

Dear 007 Spy,

Thank you for your kind comments. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us at Dooly's Hotel and in particular our friendly staff. We hope to welcome you back to Dooly's in the near future.

Dooly's hotel

Reviewed May 9, 2012

I've not stayed in the hotel its self but have eaten in the Bar and I must say its the most welcoming Hotel I've ever being in the reception staff are wonderfull and the bar staff are very friendly, being a student in a local College I often called in for lunch or dinner and was always greeted by name and felt I was treated more like a friend who had popped in for a visit than a customer its as if they go that one step father to make you feel at home ! I would and have recommended this to family and friends :)!! Well done Doolys

• Stayed: May 2012

Dear Bubbleskye,

It is really fantastic to read your review. At Dooly's Hotel we have endeavoured to bring back the "Cead Mile Failte" into everyday life & the Hospitality Industry. We encourage our Team to be friendly, helpful & informative to all our guests and it is great to read you had such an experience. Thank you for recognising our efforts & I trust we will see you in Dooly's Hotel soon.

Reviewed April 10, 2012

I haven't stayed in the hotel as I live in the town so I can't comment on the rooms but I have dined in the Emmet Restaurant on many occasions with my family and I have to say it's very good! The food is fab, the portions are generous and the service is fantastic, overall very good value for money. I think this restaurant has been a bit underestimated as it's a hotel restaurant but I would highly recomment it!

Room Tip: I can only refer to the restaurant as I have not stayed in the hotel rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Dear Allers82,

Thank you for taking time to review our Emmet Restaurant at Dooly's Hotel. Our Head Chef has compiled an a la carte menu using the best of local ingredients & we have endeavoured to ensure our customers receive continued value for their money. Our €65 meal for 2 inclusive of a bottle of house wine has proved most popular with our customers. It is very encouraging to read your comments & I hope to see you back at Dooly's Hotel again soon.

Reviewed February 9, 2012

Great location and staff were very friendly. Stayed on a saturday night was told of possible noise from disco but was not disturbed. good nights sleep. breakfast was very good.

Room Tip: Sat night ask for room away from front.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Cjdoc,

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at Dooly's Hotel & I hope to welcome you back to Birr in the near future.

Dooly's Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birr
County Arms Hotel & Leisure Club
Sheraton Athlone
#3 of 9 in Athlone
11 mi away
Racket Hall Country House Hotel

Been to Dooly's Hotel? Share your experiences!